Your teacher(s)?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Dragon

Your teacher(s)?

Post by Dragon »

Since I am without a teacher, I'd like to know who are your teachers? There are so many that I feel overwhelmed trying to find one to take refuge with.

Also, is it wrong I seek out a teacher, or should one seek me out? I've heard that it's best to let the teacher find you first, and not the other way around. But that seems rather counterproductive, no?
heart

Re: Your teacher(s)?

Post by heart »

Dragon wrote:Since I am without a teacher, I'd like to know who are your teachers? There are so many that I feel overwhelmed trying to find one to take refuge with.

Also, is it wrong I seek out a teacher, or should one seek me out? I've heard that it's best to let the teacher find you first, and not the other way around. But that seems rather counterproductive, no?
Eventually the teacher will find you, but for that to happen you have to go and see many most probably.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

You may take refuge with any Lama who is convenient .
Even in another tradition, because refuge is not
specific to Tibet, Tibetan orders or Vajrayana lineages.
You could even visit your local Thai Wat or Zendo
and become Buddhist, just like any baptism is accepted
as good among almost all Christians.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

ngodrup wrote:You may take refuge with any Lama who is convenient .
Even in another tradition, because refuge is not
specific to Tibet, Tibetan orders or Vajrayana lineages.
You could even visit your local Thai Wat or Zendo
and become Buddhist, just like any baptism is accepted
as good among almost all Christians.
Refuge, sure. But samaya is different.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Eventually the teacher will find you, but for that to happen you have to go and see many most probably.
:twothumbsup:
There is a great deal of merit in visiting. It will enable and empower your discernment. Make a list. Go learn.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

lobster wrote:
There is a great deal of merit in visiting. It will enable and empower your discernment. Make a list. Go learn.
I live in The United States. I cannot see myself traveling too far or abroad at the moment, even though I would like to. Does anyone know of a directory of sorts that would list (reputable) teachers in this country?
justsit

Post by justsit »

No, there is no directory AFAIK.

The US is a big place. In order to offer you relevant suggestions, it would help to know where you are located (just in general, doesn't have to be too specific, maybe which state). It would also help to know if there is a particular type of Buddhism (Zen? Mahayana? Theravadan? etc.) or lineage you are considering. We are very fortunate that there is a wide variety of teachers available in the US, some resident, some visiting, so overseas travel is usually not necessary.

Here is a list of groups/individuals to be avoided. NB: not everyone here will agree with this list.

Buddhism in America is not like Christianity or other mainstream religions; there is rarely going to be a temple or sangha conveniently located right in your neighborhood. Pursuing the path will likely require effort.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Dragon wrote:
lobster wrote:
I live in The United States. I cannot see myself traveling too far or abroad at the moment, even though I would like to. Does anyone know of a directory of sorts that would list (reputable) teachers in this country?
Try this http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

justsit wrote: Here is a list of groups/individuals to be avoided. NB: not everyone here will agree with this list.
Thank you. I've seen this list before, actually. What I'm afraid of is that there are many that should be on the list but fight to stay off of it. :thinking: But a good basic warning nonetheless.
Punya wrote: Try this http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/
Yes, I've used this before, too. Most places are not that bad of a drive. But I become wary when they only have a PO Box as an address or do not have a website to check out first. Most of the places around me are very Western-ized, and I was looking for something a lot more traditional. Good resource though. Thank you.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Dragon wrote:
justsit wrote: Here is a list of groups/individuals to be avoided. NB: not everyone here will agree with this list.
Thank you. I've seen this list before, actually. What I'm afraid of is that there are many that should be on the list but fight to stay off of it. :thinking: But a good basic warning nonetheless.
Punya wrote: Try this http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/
Yes, I've used this before, too. Most places are not that bad of a drive. But I become wary when they only have a PO Box as an address or do not have a website to check out first. Most of the places around me are very Western-ized, and I was looking for something a lot more traditional. Good resource though. Thank you.
Unless you are not a westerner, you might be best off at a place that is "Western-ized" in one sense or another. Even Tibetan Buddhism, which is seen as more exotic and certainly has more overt exotic trappings, is usually taught here in a way geared towards Westerners, which again makes sense, that is skillful teaching. If you find a more "traditional" temple that serves as a kind of anchor for the local Asian community etc., it may be nice to go there, but it's unlikely that the services or teaching will be set up for you, and quite possibly there will not be an english portion.

Mind, i'm not saying go "Bob's Enlightenment Zendo Party House" or something, authentic teachers are always important, but don't expect necessarily that the quality of the place will be connected to how exotic it looks to you.

The list has lots of people on it from traditional lineages, as far as I know, it's a comprehensive list, and it's what I used to find a Sangha in my area.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Maybe its easier if you tell us what area you're in. Say you're in the great lakes region for example,
or Indiana, then we can point you toward stuff in your area.

Its an interesting phenomenon that some Lama attract an Asian sangha mainly
or a Western sangha predominately, even if they don't specifically "Amercanisze"
the practice or presentation. But then, if there's a significant Tibetan community
nearby, if the Lama is very traditional and does everything in Tibetan, sometimes
there's a mixed sangha.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Mixed is the best:) I hope more and more sangha go in this direction.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Punya

Post by Punya »

Dragon wrote:Since I am without a teacher, I'd like to know who are your teachers? There are so many that I feel overwhelmed trying to find one to take refuge with.

It's not essential to take formal refuge straight away. The opportunity didn't arise for me for a number years and I eventually found my teacher and took refuge with him. So special!

I'm sorry the buddhanet list isn't helping. I guess it depends on the quality and detail of the local list. My early approach was to visit different centres and attend teachings from different visiting teachers. My main teacher is someone who's online teachings I was attracted to early and I eventually made the 1000 km trip see him teach. A local centre is a great place to start though.

I've thought a lot about the push-pull of actively seeking something out or waiting for it to come to you. For me, it seems to be that a bit of both works well. Some merit making in the meantime is a good idea too.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Unless you are not a westerner, you might be best off at a place that is "Western-ized" in one sense or another. Even Tibetan Buddhism, which is seen as more exotic and certainly has more overt exotic trappings, is usually taught here in a way geared towards Westerners, which again makes sense, that is skillful teaching. If you find a more "traditional" temple that serves as a kind of anchor for the local Asian community etc., it may be nice to go there, but it's unlikely that the services or teaching will be set up for you, and quite possibly there will not be an english portion.

Mind, i'm not saying go "Bob's Enlightenment Zendo Party House" or something, authentic teachers are always important, but don't expect necessarily that the quality of the place will be connected to how exotic it looks to you.

The list has lots of people on it from traditional lineages, as far as I know, it's a comprehensive list, and it's what I used to find a Sangha in my area.
I agree with the general idea but, just because a temple is Asian doesn't mean it's the local community center.

At one temple I go to, everyone is Chinese except for a couple old White hippies, and its a community center. Another temple I go to has the same demographics, but is practice oriented.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a quick and easy way to judge a temple until you go.

By the way, as you said: the first temple is a proper temple, the second is a converted house.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Ramon1920

Post by Ramon1920 »

Dragon, previously you asked me for a teacher suggestion on another thread and I did not respond because I did not want to distract from the topic. You also wrote about some people you have been associating with so I know some background information.

My suggestion is that firstly:
you cut off ties completely to that shady group of people which you've associated with in the past
you contact several respectable lamas, tell them you have associated with that group, ask for protection from the ghost and it's cult, and then follow that lama's instructions.
I suggest you contact Gaden Shartse Monastery's Abbot Khen Rinpoche Jangchub Choeden directly to ask for protection and that you speak to CNNR's through his students at http://tsegyalgar.org/ because they know how to handle this situation. It would be good to reach out to others also, this is not an unusual problem and lamas will be sympathetic and understanding.

Following this first set of suggestions will separate you from the malignant influence of the cult.

Secondly, I suggest:
that you take vows and empowerments only from lineage heads like His Holiness the Dalai Lama
that you take as a teaching authority only the sutras, tantras, and valid commentaries

Following this second set of suggestions will spare you from falling deep into a cult like the one you have previously associated with.
heart

Post by heart »

Ramon1920 wrote:Dragon, previously you asked me for a teacher suggestion on another thread and I did not respond because I did not want to distract from the topic.
It wasn't dragon asking, it was me. The question still stands.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”