YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Vipassana tradition - Dhamma Wheel

Vipassana tradition

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
greggorious

Vipassana tradition

Postby greggorious » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Excuse my ignorance, I'm still finding out about the Theravada. I've heard many people mention the 'Vipassana traditions' as though they are different from Theravada traditions, can someone clear this up for me. Are the Vipassana traditions more secular than Theravada? I went to one of these Vipassana meditation sittings, and although they say they are primarily theravada I noticed a lot of mentioning of Zen and certain mahayana sutra's also.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

mikenz66

Re: Vipassana tradition

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi Greg,

For a start, all Buddhist approaches involve vipassana (insight) as well as the other aspects of the eight-fold path, including concentration. In very general terms the "vipassana" approaches put less empasis on first developing deep concentration, but seek to develop concentration in tandem with insight.

It would help if you were specific about what "vipassana" group you are referring to. The term tends to be applied to quite a range. There are groups that label themselves "insight", or "vipassana" and draw from a range of Buddhist and non-Buddhist sources, and avoid being particularly overtly Buddhist and seldom involve monastics. At the other end, there groups heavily based on monastic traditions who might describe their approach as "vipasssana". this would include various students of Mahasi Sayadaw and his students, such as U Pandita, and a number of students of Ajahn Chah. Then there are the lay teachers such as Goenka, who, though being lay, is deeply rooted in traditional Buddhism.

:anjali:
Mike

greggorious

Postby greggorious » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:26 pm

The group I went to was Gaia house
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:07 pm

OK, that's what I'd call an "Insight" group in the categories I gave above. I go to a group locally, Southern Insight, who have various connections to the teachers from there.

I see nothing wrong with these various types of approaches. It depends on what you find useful. Last weekend our Insight group organised a, to me, very helpful one-day retreat with Sharda Rogell http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/164/ who teaches as Spirit Rock, in California and has been a regular visitor to New Zealand. They have also had various people listed as teachers at Gaia House http://gaiahouse.co.uk/pages/retreats/a ... -teachers/ including Yanai Postelnik and the Batchelors (I was unable to get to those particular retreats).

:anjali:
Mike

greggorious

Postby greggorious » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Soi what's the vision of these Insight groups? Are they more secular? Are they more "Dharma" Inclusive, as to mean they incorporate Theravada and mahayana? I was suprised to hear Thich Nhat Hahn's name mentioned alot, rather than some Bante or Bikkhu.

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:24 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:16 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”