Comprehensive List of Practices and Meditation Styles

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
dharmagoat

Re: Comprehensive List of Practices and Meditation Styles

Post by dharmagoat »

Ramon1920 wrote:The idea of this is that you want to post instructions online for all these activities or create a venue for random people online to give instructions on these things as advice and support?
Not at all. I doubt anyone needs instruction on how to sleep, eat a meal, or take a bathroom break.
Last edited by dharmagoat on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madhyama Pratipada

Post by Madhyama Pratipada »

Ramon1920 wrote:My guess is that the logs would be public because people can use a notebook privately.
So the purpose is to inform other people of how much you're meditating?
The purpose is to encourage people to develop and maintain a regular practice by formulating a schedule that can be shared with others. People can schedule times to meditate together, if they so wish. They don't even have to be in the same place or practicing in the same style or tradition in order to cultivate a sense of community with those around the world who are also meditating at the same time.
sarvopalambhopaśamah prapañcopaśamah śivah
na kimcitkasyacitkaścid dharmo buddhena deśitah

MMK 25.24
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Madhyama Pratipada wrote:
Ramon1920 wrote:My guess is that the logs would be public because people can use a notebook privately.
So the purpose is to inform other people of how much you're meditating?
The purpose is to encourage people to develop and maintain a regular practice by formulating a schedule that can be shared with others. People can schedule times to meditate together, if they so wish. They don't even have to be in the same place or practicing in the same style or tradition in order to cultivate a sense of community with those around the world who are also meditating at the same time.
The intention is to provide a flexible feature for members to use as they wish. If showing their dedication to practice encourages others to practice, then I consider that a valid use. This has certainly been the case among our members so far.

Return to “Meditation”