Do you really think rebirth is realistic?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Do you really think rebirth is realistic?

Postby conebeckham » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:43 pm

I don't know. I don't know where "beyond" is. If "beyond" is part of "dualistic 'mind consciousness'" then it isn't somewhere else, is it?


Beyond is perhaps not the best word.....let's say "transcendent," instead.

As an analogy....let's say our "mind" or mental consciousness is like the sky, and our thoughts are like clouds--part of the sky, not really separate from it, but somehow discrete, and changeable. Now, what I'm talking about, as an "object," though it can't really be called an "object"--(see above, eh?)--is neither the empty sky, nor the clouds, nor a combination of both. To continue the analogy, what bears investigation is the "space" which allows for, and somehow permeates, both sky and clouds, but which is neither.....this "space" is an analogy for what I'm trying to get at--a kind of "bare awakeness" which is nondual.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
User avatar
conebeckham
 
Posts: 2429
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Do you really think rebirth is realistic?

Postby Individual » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 pm

conebeckham wrote:What about Buddhahood, or the Dharmakaya, then?

You will doubtless say they are not "things," .....but what are things? What is mind? A Thought?

It is as inappropriate to say they are "attained," as to say they are "unattainable," or both or neither.

"What are things? What is mind? Thought?"

If I answered, it would be, "Speaking and hearing," and not things, mind, and thought.

conebeckham wrote:As an analogy....let's say our "mind" or mental consciousness is like the sky, and our thoughts are like clouds--part of the sky, not really separate from it, but somehow discrete, and changeable. Now, what I'm talking about, as an "object," though it can't really be called an "object"--(see above, eh?)--is neither the empty sky, nor the clouds, nor a combination of both. To continue the analogy, what bears investigation is the "space" which allows for, and somehow permeates, both sky and clouds, but which is neither.....this "space" is an analogy for what I'm trying to get at--a kind of "bare awakeness" which is nondual.

I see what you're getting at, but any words used to describe it would imply an opposite. Because it is beyond the realm of logic, concepts, thinking, language, being and non-being, it has no opposite; it is unlike anything anyone knows. And any words used to describe it, if understood conceptually, in terms of self (no matter how subtle), is a wrong understanding, which leads to birth and therefore suffering.
Individual
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:20 am

Re: Do you really think rebirth is realistic?

Postby catmoon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:20 am

What do you mean by "is"?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2916
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Do you really think rebirth is realistic?

Postby Individual » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:50 pm

OK, Bill Clinton. :)
Individual
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:20 am

Re: Do you really think rebirth is realistic?

Postby spiritnoname » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:46 am

I remember before I was born, watching my parents from the bardo. I expect to go through a similar thing when I die this time. It will be like falling asleep, I'll forget who I am, my mind will become without signs like a bird flying though the sky, leaving no trail or sign, and I will find a new body to cling to and tell myself is mine, probably a mind made body first, then wander around to find a suitable family.
spiritnoname
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 9:25 am

Re: Do you really think rebirth is realistic?

Postby Individual » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:57 am

spiritnoname wrote:I remember before I was born, watching my parents from the bardo. I expect to go through a similar thing when I die this time. It will be like falling asleep, I'll forget who I am, my mind will become without signs like a bird flying though the sky, leaving no trail or sign, and I will find a new body to cling to and tell myself is mine, probably a mind made body first, then wander around to find a suitable family.

Interesting.

How do you know whether this is a valid perception or a daydream\imagination, when the object of thought seems to arise through the same faculty? :)

Sometimes, I have daydreams like this... For instance, I like taking a warm shower in the dark, and then crawling in bed, still wet, wrapping myself up with the sheets. One day, it occurred to me that I was in fact re-enacting the state of being in the womb.

But perhaps this is just silliness? It's possible! :)

I could tell you a funny story about a bunch of Wiccans I once knew, who performed a magic ritual to recall their past lives and during the ritual, each person (including me) fabricated a story of a past-life to avoid the embarrassment of making it look like the magic had failed in their case.
Individual
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:20 am

Re: Do you really think rebirth is realistic?

Postby spiritnoname » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:51 am

(nods)

The one I bother to tell people about is one that checks out with me because what I saw did happen and I can describe people who weren't around after I was born. See,.. not long before I was conceived my immediate family, a aunt and her family were moving from Texas to California. I remember some things that happened on that trip and my aunt's family even though our families parted ways before I was actually born.

So, because my mom and older siblings can verify, I'm convinced it's a real memory.

I have another memory of another family also, I assume I was scouting out. I imagine it's even possible I was born into that family and died really young, but I don't know, I have no way to verify any of that.

Blah blah blah, it's probably very uninteresting to others, but that's my personal proof. I imagine as I continue practicing Dharma I will have even more proof for myself.
spiritnoname
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 9:25 am

Re: Do you really think rebirth is realistic?

Postby muni » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:15 am

spiritnoname wrote:(nods)

The one I bother to tell people about is one that checks out with me because what I saw did happen and I can describe people who weren't around after I was born. See,.. not long before I was conceived my immediate family, a aunt and her family were moving from Texas to California. I remember some things that happened on that trip and my aunt's family even though our families parted ways before I was actually born.

So, because my mom and older siblings can verify, I'm convinced it's a real memory.

I have another memory of another family also, I assume I was scouting out. I imagine it's even possible I was born into that family and died really young, but I don't know, I have no way to verify any of that.

Blah blah blah, it's probably very uninteresting to others, but that's my personal proof. I imagine as I continue practicing Dharma I will have even more proof for myself.


Thank you for sharing, not very uninteresting. Can be game.
muni
 
Posts: 2735
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am

Previous

Return to Open Dharma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dan74, Google [Bot], Norwegian, theanarchist, Thrasymachus and 27 guests

>