YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

All or nothing..... - Dhamma Wheel

All or nothing.....

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
rucontent

All or nothing.....

Postby rucontent » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:29 pm

I am currently reading a "Message of the Buddha" in this document i was struck with something i am often struck with.....

"The buddha said......One day we will realize that the only way to escape the unsatisfactory cycle is to renounce all desire for worldly pleasures."

So considering i have heard people even say....if u can't do lay life...then go be a monk....but others who seem to follow buddhism in a less strict way.

Is it possible then to follow this practice without being radically obedient to the texts? Not sure if i am clear about my question...

thanks if u want to chime in.

mikenz66

Re: All or nothing.....

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi rucontent,

Do you mean you are reading this: http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books11/Bhik ... Buddha.pdf or something else? It's helpful to understand what you are asking to know what you are reading.

:anjali:
Mike

reflection

Postby reflection » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:55 pm

Hi rucontent!

To be honest, I don't really see what you want to ask.
Do you want to know if it is possible to walk the path without being ordained? Or without "renouncing all wordly pleasures"?

The answer to both is yes, but to be able to answer a bit deeper, maybe you could clarify your question.

With loving kindness,
Reflection

rucontent

Postby rucontent » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:53 am

Yes you are correct about the text i was reading Mikenz66.

@reflection: Yes you are on the right track. Of course i know that anything is possible. And i know that it is possible to follow this practice without being ordained. But as far as "renouncing all worldly pleasures" goes.

My point was that it seems, according to the teachings, that to attain or to approach the highest state of being on MUST "renounce"

And so if that is the case isn't it necessary and not just an option.

It seems that there is an idea of the "Lay Buddhist" and it doesnt seem to match the intensity of the teachings. It is a commentary more than a question. I was just trying to put it out there to see if anyone had an insight about how i am looking at in the wrong way.

If it still doesnt make sense that is ok. I cant seem to verbalize it better. :thanks:

ground

Postby ground » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:19 am

Zom

Postby Zom » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:32 am

robertk

Postby robertk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:35 am

If you really have no more sense desire then yes you will become a monk.
That's why its all anatta, all the way down.

Yana

Postby Yana » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:17 am

yes...i know it's hard to see ourselves living that type of life...we really think it's too extreme and simply not possible..but it's not extreme..it is the middle way...we view it as extreme because we are used to indulging in our own desires...anything less is too extreme or too much for us...extreme would be cutting or torturing yourself for your belief..or becoming a suicide bomber...We don't have to cut or harm ourselves or others like some beliefs require out of God bless them.. wrong views...all we need to do is have the Right View...to see desire as it is and not hold on to it..but no need to worry...this path is personal..and each person must strive little by little. let go what you honestly can..if you try to let go of it all at once you'll just face frustration and dissapointment...if you train yourself slowly ...and take it one step a time..someday.. perhaps in future lifetimes.. you'll be able to let go of it all and you would have found that it was all worth it. :namaste:
Life is preparing for Death

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:13 pm

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:14 pm

nameless

Postby nameless » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:58 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”