More Bon than Buddha?

flavio81

Re: More Bon than Buddha?

Post by flavio81 »

tomamundsen wrote:
beautiful breath wrote:So the 'theravadins' don't actually have any real evidence to lay claim to being the 'purest' interpretation of the Dharma?
Correct. This point has been discussed a lot on here and other forums. I'm sure you can find some really long debates about this using the search function.
Since the search function isn't so good, i've took the time to find some threads that more or less talk about this:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2091

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=309

But i can't find a thread with a really long debate on this topic.
beautiful breath

Post by beautiful breath »

flavio81 wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:
beautiful breath wrote:So the 'theravadins' don't actually have any real evidence to lay claim to being the 'purest' interpretation of the Dharma?
Correct. This point has been discussed a lot on here and other forums. I'm sure you can find some really long debates about this using the search function.
Since the search function isn't so good, i've took the time to find some threads that more or less talk about this:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2091

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=309

But i can't find a thread with a really long debate on this topic.
:cheers:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

tomamundsen wrote:
Another one is just getting under way over at DhammaWheel - http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18145
:reading:

Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Hanuman Yant.jpg
Hanuman Yant blessed by the Theravada monk LP Sin of the Thai monastary Wat Laharnyai.

Is Theravada Buddhism more Hindu than Buddha(sic)?
Hi, Greg,
I think a serious answer to your question would be, "No," but I don't think you really wanted one.
However, there is a tantric stream within Theravada - quite strong in Thailand - and ven Gavesako has been exploring it in this thread http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10503 on Dhamma Wheel.

There are also non-tantric Hindu elements in Thai Buddhism, with Ganesh often being represented in temples there; other gods, too, and (from Mahayana) Kuan Yin.

Frankly, I think Gautama would be quite surprised by what he found in any Buddhist temple if he dropped in to visit. Would he be disappointed? I'm not so sure.

:namaste:
Kim
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Kim O'Hara wrote:Hi, Greg,
I think a serious answer to your question would be, "No," but I don't think you really wanted one.
Dear Kim,

of course the answer is "no", just like the answer to the question the OP posed is "no". ;)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:Hi, Greg,
Dear Kim,

of course the answer is "no", just like the answer to the question the OP posed is "no". ;)
No disagreement there, Greg, but I just wanted to bounce my tantric-theravada post off your question, since the 'official' position is that Theravada has absorbed nothing from Hinduism and has no interest in tantric practices. Like many official positions :rolleye: , it isn't entirely true.

:namaste:
Kim
Martin007

Post by Martin007 »

beautiful breath wrote: So the 'theravadins' don't actually have any real evidence to lay claim to being the 'purest' interpretation of the Dharma?
I think the idea of "pure" Dharma is fictitious. What we actually see are various cultural expressions of Dharma.

So when people talk about "pure" Dharma what they're usually saying is "my Dharma is better than yours".
5heaps

Post by 5heaps »

beautiful breath wrote:The Tibetan traditions seem a million miles away from the Theravadins who I understand are considered to be the closest to what the Buddha actually taught himself prior to any major interpretations. There were no Vajras, Bells, Inner Offerings....etc... in the Discourses :smile:
tibetan buddhism (which is a continuation of lineages in indian buddhism) has no problem with the tenets of theravada

according to them, theravadins correctly explain dependent arising within appearances of inherent existence and true existence. the difference then is that those indian/tibetan lineages then go on to, in addition, refute not just permanence and persons independent of the aggregates, but also true and inherent existence

vajras, particular rituals, particular imagery, etc, arise due to direct contact between people proficient with emptiness and the bestowers of emptiness (buddhas).
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Konchog1 wrote:The Buddha doesn't talk about incense or mediation mats in the Pali canon either, why talk about the tools?
Meditation mats are discussed in the Vinaya. (What they can be made of, the size, etc.)
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
mahabuddha

Post by mahabuddha »

Tricycle had a great article http://www.tricycle.com/feature/whose-buddhism-truest that goes into some depth. Theravada is not the "pure" form. Many traditions were emergent simulataneously in India at that time. Having lived in Thailand for years...it is very hard to find an actual Buddha statue on display outside of a temple. Nearly all the displays in public are Hindu. Imagine that? There are many rituals and ceremonies that Westerners may not be aware of since they don't live in those cultures but Thailand is full of ceremonies, ritual, superstitions, etc.,

Ajahn Buddhadhasa is well known in his attempts to teach the Dharma...and educate Thais that much of what they think is Dharma is superstition and not Buddhism.

Return to “Gelug”