Mudras

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Snovid

Mudras

Post by Snovid »

What is this mudra?(With thumb inside)

and what is the difference between these mudra
Image Image
I am from Poland I use google translator I do not know English
Dronma

Re: Mudras

Post by Dronma »

The first one means: "I'll shoot you down".
And you can see often the other 2 in rock festivals and the like. :tongue:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Snovid

Post by Snovid »

When it comes to rock festivals
DIO once gave an interview and talked
that this gesture, his grandmother taught him
It means protection from the evil eye
Thus, this gesture has become the symbol of fans of heavy sound :smile:

but what means the other, with the thumb inside?
Do both are used in Buddhism?

Excellent series with threads of Shinto,Onmyōdō,Buddism etc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onmy%C5%8Dd%C5%8D

This gesture means something more than bang bang :quoteunquote: :D
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

being curious, I've found that ...

Apana mudra (U rock) and prana mudra (I kill you)
http://www.karmicprana.com/handmudras_f.html

and few others ...
https://www.google.fr/search?q=mudra&cl ... 00&bih=797
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Snovid

Post by Snovid »

The Kuji-in were created from the gesture of both the hands, (the left hand Taizokai possess a receptive valence, and the right hand Kongokai possess an emitter valence). The Kuji Kiri performed with the right hand are to emphasize the cut of the ignorance of the Maya_(illusion) (that is the deceptive sensory world) through the Sword of the Wisdom. In this way, according to the belief system of Shingon Mikkyo, one would come to create an opening in the daily world that would allow one to reach various states of consciousness. Derived from the Taoist dualism, Jaho could be seen as Yin, and Kobudera as Yang.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuji-kiri

Ninja Sorcery .. Magic
KUJI IN & KUJI KIRI

What I am presenting here is by no means a complete account of the Nine Finger Cuts that gave the Ninja mystical powers, but it will serve the would be Maho Tsukai (sorceror) as a very useful and provocative primer.
The exact origins of the nine cuts are unknown, but it is believed that they were first introduced to Japan by the Tantric Buddhist Schools of Shingon and Tendai Mikkyo.
It is a common misconception that the techniques of Kuji were the sole domain of the Ninja. This is not true, as even a cursory exploration of the Koryu (traditional feudal arts of the Samurai) will reveal. For instance, the Yagy Shinkage Ryu and the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu both made use of the Kuji In and Kuji Kiri.
Though the techniques of Kuji In and Kuji Kiri are closely tied to one another, they in all actuality serve two very distinct functions. The Kuji In hand positions are used to invoke nine levels of mystic power. They are a method of focusing the mind and activating these powers, each in turn. The Kuji Kiri, however, is a form of practical sorcery, the method of which we will discuss shortly.
When utilizing the Kuji In, you may find the outward technique less important than your inward understanding of the concepts symbolized by each of the "cuts". In the beginning, rely more on what you feel internally, and less on written interpretation.

The Nine Levels Are :-
RIN - STRENGTH of mind and body
KYO - DIRECTION OF ENERGY
TOH - HARMONY with the universe
SHA - HEALING of self and others
KAI - PREMONITION of danger
JIN - KNOWING THE THOUGHTS OF OTHERS
RETSU - MASTERY OF TIME AND SPACE
ZAI - CONTROL of the elements of nature
ZEN - ENLIGHTENMENT

http://ar.groups.yahoo.com/group/Budism ... ssage/1419

Kuji-kiri (otherwise known as the yoga of the hand) in the art of ninjutsu is a collection of all the techniques of meditation, visualization and self-hypnosis. Eastern mystics assume that the same forces that permeate the universe and cause it to revive the flow through our body. In India, this energy is described as prana and kundalini. The Chinese say her Chi, a Japanese Ki (key). In order to stimulate or suppress the energy over the centuries, various physical, mental and metaphysical rituals. The energies that could be used in various ways, eg, as used by ninja Dim Mak (death touch) or directing the life-giving energy to the sick and the weak organs.

eijo

Post by eijo »

Snowid wrote:In this way, according to the belief system of Shingon Mikkyo, one would come to create an opening in the daily world that would allow one to reach various states of consciousness.
The exact origins of the nine cuts are unknown, but it is believed that they were first introduced to Japan by the Tantric Buddhist Schools of Shingon and Tendai Mikkyo.
Shingon doesn't teach anything like that, and the practice you mentioned was not introduced by Shingon Buddhism into Japan.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p177345
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Lovely to see you back Rev Eijo :)

Gassho,
Seishin
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Mudras are serious business in Vajrayana. I am temporarily locking this thread and discussing this with the other moderators. I did not delete it outright because Venerable Eijo, a senior Shingon practitioner, has taken the time to help clear up misinformation.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Lounge”