Practicing Dharma

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Mikeliegler

Practicing Dharma

Post by Mikeliegler »

Dharma is a new word for me. When I google Dharma the definition givin is the order of the universe. I hear many talk of practicing Dharma? How is this possible if Dharma's already the order of the universe?

:shrug:
Mikeliegler

Re: Practicing Dharma

Post by Mikeliegler »

Mikeliegler wrote:Dharma is a new word for me. When I google Dharma the definition givin is the order of the universe. I hear many talk of practicing Dharma? How is this possible if Dharma's already the order of the universe?

:shrug:
How does one know they are practicing Dharma?
lobster

Post by lobster »

Dharma tends to mean 'Buddhist teaching' or 'Buddhist understanding'. For some it tends to equate with scriptural authenticity/authority.

Dharma is not for making you dumber but smarter. In other words it is advice that lessons and lessens suffering into manageability.

Use multiple sources for understanding dharma words . . . hey that may be a Dharmic tip . . . :namaste:
Rick

Post by Rick »

Mike,

Dharma is one of those terms that can mean a lot of things, some quite different, depending on the tradition, context, etc. The Wikipedia article gives you a good sense of this.

Here's an introduction to the Buddhist take on dharma that I think will answer your question quite nicely:

http://buddhaspace.blogspot.com/2010/04 ... harma.html
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
wisdom

Post by wisdom »

Dharma as the order of the universe, from my deluded viewpoint, is the teaching on the inseparability of the Buddha nature from all appearances, seeing all phenomena as the direct transmission of the mind of Samantabhadra. Dharma practice on the other hand, is taking refuge in the Buddha and cultivating Bodhicitta. Everything is based on whether or not you have the mind of enlightenment. If you don't, then the practice is to cultivate it. If you do, the practice is to perfect it and realize it. If you realize it, the practice is to let it be as it will spontaneously manifest benefit for others without any need to fabricate, project or modify on your part.

Thus the whole path spanning all the vehicles can in my opinion be summed up in three basic steps all based on Bodhicitta. Obtaining the Mind of Enlightenment, Cultivating the Mind of Enlightenment, Manifesting the Mind of Enlightenment. Obtaining is the ground, the foundation. Cultivating is the path. Manifesting is the fruit.

May all beings benefit!
Roland

Post by Roland »

A translator for Kalu Rinpoche in the 1980s said that the word "dharma" has about 12 different definitions. In the context of Buddhism, I take it to mean what has been well described above.
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”