offering bowls

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Dragon

offering bowls

Post by Dragon »

I am new to Tibetan Buddhism and live in the west. I do not have a teacher at the moment but am trying to set up my altar. I was wondering if someone could be so kind to help me?

I have a question about offering bowls. I intend to do offerings every morning. How come some people do only water offerings while some offer up water plus food, incense, light, etc.? I purchased some items to do the latter today, but I am wondering if I should only be doing water offerings and save the other offerings for some other type of ritual? I am a bit confused. Thank you.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: offering bowls

Post by Grigoris »

You can do them all as water offerings or you can do the 1st and 2nd bowl with water, 3rd flower, 4th incense, 5th candle, 6th perfumed water, 7th food and 8th is music (which is symbolised by a conch shell).
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

gregkavarnos wrote:You can do them all as water offerings or you can do the 1st and 2nd bowl with water, 3rd flower, 4th incense, 5th candle, 6th perfumed water, 7th food and 8th is music (which is symbolised by a conch shell).
Is there a reason why some do one and not the other? Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

Thanks.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Traditionally you can make the 8 offerings--
Argam-water to drink
Padyam-water to wash feet
Puhpe-Flowers
Duphe-incense
Aloke-Light
Gendhe-Perfume
Newidye-Food
Shabda-music

If you do this, the first two bowls are water, and the sixth can be water as well--sometimes with saffron added, or some people add essential oil or even perfume.

But it's good to offer 7 bowls of water. Water is essential to life, and it is clean and pure, and can be replaced daily--it's easier to make a clean and pure water offering than it is to refresh the 8 traditional offerings daily.

It's also the case that some specific practices require different offerings than the 8 listed above--some leave out Padyam, for example, and others may add additional offerings......but water is always easy, and not specific to a given puja or sadhana.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

conebeckham wrote:Traditionally you can make the 8 offerings--
Argam-water to drink
Padyam-water to wash feet
Puhpe-Flowers
Duphe-incense
Aloke-Light
Gendhe-Perfume
Newidye-Food
Shabda-music

If you do this, the first two bowls are water, and the sixth can be water as well--sometimes with saffron added, or some people add essential oil or even perfume.

But it's good to offer 7 bowls of water. Water is essential to life, and it is clean and pure, and can be replaced daily--it's easier to make a clean and pure water offering than it is to refresh the 8 traditional offerings daily.

It's also the case that some specific practices require different offerings than the 8 listed above--some leave out Padyam, for example, and others may add additional offerings......but water is always easy, and not specific to a given puja or sadhana.
Got it. Thank you.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Different offerings have different benefits. Water is always good, but other offerings should be made on occasion. Lights, incense, flowers, food, etc.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Ramon1920

Post by Ramon1920 »

You should do the 8 offerings. It ties into various sadhanas. Also, have you ever bumped into a table with a bunch of bowls filled to the brim with water? Does your house have water damage insurance?
Terma

Post by Terma »

I think it's great if you can offer some if not all of the things listed above, but otherwise water will suffice too. Remember, though you are offering something physical each morning, it does not need to be limited to this. We can imagine offering the three jewels the most splendid kinds of offerings at the same time too!

As you mentioned some offer water bowls as well (or instead of the other offerings). In the book "Luminous Essence", Mipham explains quite clearly why, in the view of a Vajrayana practitioner, water is a very suitable offering to be made. I will need to look for the quote though, and will try to post it when I do.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

conebeckham wrote:It's also the case that some specific practices require different offerings than the 8 listed above--some leave out Padyam, for example...
Many leave out shabda (music) and add an actual music offering at the end of the offering prayer.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

LOL, Ramon1920!

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

There is a line that appears in a Tibetan Sadhana (ritual text) that goes: "I make offerings both real and imagined".
Usually, people think that the water, incense, rice, or other material offerings are "real"
and that our visualized offerings are imaginary.
My understanding is that it is in fact the other way around,
that these bits of stuff we pile up in front of statues have no intrinsic reality to them at all.
But that it is our imagined offerings that are "real" because they are what generate merit,
manifest as our intentions, generosity and so forth.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
yegyal

Post by yegyal »

Dragon wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:You can do them all as water offerings or you can do the 1st and 2nd bowl with water, 3rd flower, 4th incense, 5th candle, 6th perfumed water, 7th food and 8th is music (which is symbolised by a conch shell).
Is there a reason why some do one and not the other? Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

Thanks.
The various offerings derive from the Indian custom of greeting guests, i.e. the first bowl of water is for drinking, the second is for washing your feet, etc.
In Tibet it was difficult to find all of the various substances, so the Indian master Atisha who visited Tibet in the 11th century suggested that since the water was so pure in Tibet, they could just offer that. That's how the tradition of offering just water began.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”