im new

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Finally !

im new

Post by Finally ! »

I choose the User name Finally! because I watched a 2 hour special on PBS last night on buddahism and have NEVER had anything make so much sense to me in my life !!!!! I have never blogged, tweeted, face booked, or visited a chat room in my life either, that is how inspired and truly hungry I am for more. I cried with joy and relief that I had finally heard the answers instead of the questions, the solutions rather then the problems. If there is anyone out there that would be willing to guide me, teach me more, give suggestions, suggest reading material, anything..... Please. I truly look forward to anyones input. I am seeking only the positive, only the truth (as painful as that can be at times) and only people that are here to talk about this topic. I am a very happily married woman with 7 beautiful children and NOT interested in ANY "friends" of the opposite sex. Just had to make that clear, I have heard bad things about these chat rooms, don't mean to be rude or offend anyone. Thank you very much, ahead of time for anything you guys might be able to share with me.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: im new

Post by Grigoris »

:applause:

I think you may find that this is not (your average sort of) dating and free sex forum! :smile:

Take a look around, especially in the exploring Buddhism section, see if you find anything of interest and feel free to dive in with questions (and answers).

Welcome to Dharma Wheel "Finally !"
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Welcome to Dharmawheel. I like your enthusiasm, I was also the same way when I first discovered Buddhism years ago.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Hi Finally! and welcome to Dharma Wheel. :smile:

As Greg said, there's info here you can check out and when you have questions helpful people who'll answer them.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

Finally ! wrote:I am(...) NOT interested in ANY "friends" of the opposite sex.
:crying: ...

Just joking of course. Welcome to the forum!
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Finally ! wrote:I cried with joy and relief that I had finally heard the answers instead of the questions, the solutions rather then the problems.
I remember that feeling!

I recommend What the Buddha Taught and How to Practice - The Way to a Meaningful Life as good starting books.

Don't worry about the different schools right now, just explore and learn. You can keep this is mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Poi ... 1y%C4%81na
1. The Buddha is our only Master (teacher and guide)
2. We take refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma and the Saṅgha (the Three Jewels)
3. We do not believe that this world is created and ruled by a God.
4. We consider that the purpose of life is to develop compassion for all living beings without discrimination and to work for their good, happiness, and peace; and to develop wisdom (prajñā) leading to the realization of Ultimate Truth
5. We accept the Four Noble Truths, namely duḥkha, the arising of duḥkha, the cessation of duḥkha, and the path leading to the cessation of duḥkha; and the law of cause and effect (pratītyasamutpāda)
6. All conditioned things (saṃskāra) are impermanent (anitya) and duḥkha, and that all conditioned and unconditioned things (dharma) are without self (anātma) (see trilaksana).
7. We accept the thirty-seven qualities conducive to enlightenment (bodhipakṣadharma) as different aspects of the Path taught by the Buddha leading to Enlightenment.
8. There are three ways of attaining bodhi or Enlightenment: namely as a disciple (śrāvaka), as a pratyekabuddha and as a samyaksambuddha (perfectly and fully enlightened Buddha). We accept it as the highest, noblest, and most heroic to follow the career of a Bodhisattva and to become a samyaksambuddha in order to save others.
9. We admit that in different countries there are differences regarding Buddhist beliefs and practices. These external forms and expressions should not be confused with the essential teachings of the Buddha.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Hi Finally!,

I don't know which manifestation of Buddhism is more suited to you or which you feel more drawn towards: this is the site for Mahayana and Vajrayana which I am deeply devoted to: but there is also the sister sight called Dhamma Wheel you may want to check out too.

Regarding an introductory book on the Vajrayana path of the Mahayana I like to suggest this one, it is very clear and profound --and well written for beginners too: http://www.shambhala.com/opening-to-our ... ature.html Image
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Punya

Post by Punya »

Since we're now talking books you might like to check out this thread http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=13014
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
lobster

Post by lobster »

that is how inspired and truly hungry I am for more.
:woohoo:
soon you will be on the dharma popcorn watching the unfolding drama
:popcorn:

:reading: take your time, have fun and watch out for the :quoteunquote: Buddhist dating sangha :quoteunquote:
. . . which probably are not too prevalent :oops:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”