3 Year Retreat led by Gangteng Tulku Feb 2013 - May 2016

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
phantom59

3 Year Retreat led by Gangteng Tulku Feb 2013 - May 2016

Post by phantom59 »

Event : 3 Year Retreat led by H.E. Gangteng Tulku Rinpoche
Date : Febuary 2013 - May 2016
Website : http://www.yeshekhorlo.org/retreat3yr_registration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

H. E. Gangteng Tulku Rinpoche has started a traditional 3 years retreat in Bhutan for his Western students. The retreat is conducted in the Pema Lingpa tradition, supervised by Gangteng Tulku Rinpoche and led by a Retreat Master from Gangtey Gompa Shedra. The duration of a traditional 3 years retreat is 3 years, 3 months and 3 days.

Within the Nyingma tradition, the path to enlightenment is divided into 9 yanas (vehicles).

The 3 years retreat will focus on the last 3 yanas known as the Inner Tantras:

* The Yana of Mahayoga
* The Yana of Anuyoga
* The Yana of Atiyoga

The texts for the retreat are translated into English, German, and French from the Tibetan originals.Explanations and comments for the practices are given at the beginning of each section.At the end of each section, a fire puja (Riwo Sang Chö) will take place.

There is a maximum capasity of 15 participants for the 3 years retreat.The retreat will be consist of both male and female reteatants.Each spacious (16 sqm or 172 sqf) cabin contains the following equipment to live and practice with:

* Basic funiture/supplies (bed, blankets, table, chair...)
* Altar with 2 vases
* Offering bowls
* Water
* Toilet
* A gas bottle for cooking

Food is provided by a retreat assistant.

Prerequisites

* To be one of Gangteng Tulku Rinpoche's students or by permission of Ganteng Tulku Rinpoche
* To have practiced Buddhism for at least 10 years
* To be psychologically balanced and in good physical condition
* To be able to read and understand texts in either English, German, French, or Tibetan
* To be of age
florin

Re: 3 Year Retreat led by Gangteng Tulku Feb 2013 - May 2016

Post by florin »

How can they justify charging over 20 000 dollars in butan for a 3 year retreat....it is absolutelly ridiculous...

considering that butan is not such an expensive country compared to lets say ,.... england where samye ling monastery charges for a 4 year retreat 15 000 pounds
spiritnoname

Post by spiritnoname »

What is the proper age for the 3 year retreat?

I mean, I will want to do this eventually, but I'm not very old yet.

And is there a basis in the tantras or just a rule of the community?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

spiritnoname wrote:What is the proper age for the 3 year retreat?

I mean, I will want to do this eventually, but I'm not very old yet.

And is there a basis in the tantras or just a rule of the community?
The proper age would be about 20 since that is the age when one can be fully ordained. Probably a person between 16-19 could be considered since that has happened historically (however not with Westerners to my knowledge and the people youn ger than 18 were either tulkus [in fact some tulkus have done 3 year retreats at a younger age] or very committed students who later became major teachers [Dezhung Rinpoche for example]).

The three year retreat is both tantric and sutric and follows a monastic disciple. From the outline this is a very heavily tantric retreat (please bear in mind that this means tantric sadhana practice mostly and that life during the retreat will be rigidly monastic).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma Events”