Nyingma / Buddhist Funeral in the West?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Nyingma / Buddhist Funeral in the West?

Postby Yeti » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:20 am

Hi,

Just wondering what would be the standard short prayers etc for a western Nyingma / Buddhist funeral (cremation) in the west, where there is no lama in attendance?

Just looking for short essential prayers.

Thanks
Geoff
"When a Dzogchen Yogi hears Shakyamuni Buddha turning the Wheel of the Dharma of the Four Noble Truths he hears Samathabhadra proclaiming the most profound Dzogpachenpo." - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
Yeti

Re: Nyingma / Buddhist Funeral in the West?

Postby udawa » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Yeti wrote:Hi,

Just wondering what would be the standard short prayers etc for a western Nyingma / Buddhist funeral (cremation) in the west, where there is no lama in attendance?

Just looking for short essential prayers.

Thanks
Geoff

This recent book by Martin Boord might be of interest http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=24973

Otherwise, why not use whatever texts you (or better still, the deceased) find inspiring? And you can't go wrong with the 7 Lines.
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
udawa

Postby Yeti » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:01 pm

udawa wrote:Otherwise, why not use whatever texts you (or better still, the deceased) find inspiring? And you can't go wrong with the 7 Lines.

Yes, I was thinking along those lines :namaste:
"When a Dzogchen Yogi hears Shakyamuni Buddha turning the Wheel of the Dharma of the Four Noble Truths he hears Samathabhadra proclaiming the most profound Dzogpachenpo." - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
Yeti

Postby pemachophel » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:25 pm

H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche composed a short funeral service for cremation. It's excellent. You can try receiving it from any Dudjom Tersar Teacher.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel

Postby Yeti » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:00 pm

pemachophel wrote:H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche composed a short funeral service for cremation. It's excellent. You can try receiving it from any Dudjom Tersar Teacher.

:namaste:

Thanks very much for that :namaste:
Yeti

Return to Nyingma