Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:30 pm
Posts: 136
Hi,

Just wondering what would be the standard short prayers etc for a western Nyingma / Buddhist funeral (cremation) in the west, where there is no lama in attendance?

Just looking for short essential prayers.

Thanks
Geoff

_________________
"When a Dzogchen Yogi hears Shakyamuni Buddha turning the Wheel of the Dharma of the Four Noble Truths he hears Samathabhadra proclaiming the most profound Dzogpachenpo." - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:10 pm
Posts: 105
Yeti wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering what would be the standard short prayers etc for a western Nyingma / Buddhist funeral (cremation) in the west, where there is no lama in attendance?

Just looking for short essential prayers.

Thanks
Geoff


This recent book by Martin Boord might be of interest http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=24973

Otherwise, why not use whatever texts you (or better still, the deceased) find inspiring? And you can't go wrong with the 7 Lines.

_________________
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:30 pm
Posts: 136
udawa wrote:
Otherwise, why not use whatever texts you (or better still, the deceased) find inspiring? And you can't go wrong with the 7 Lines.

Yes, I was thinking along those lines :namaste:

_________________
"When a Dzogchen Yogi hears Shakyamuni Buddha turning the Wheel of the Dharma of the Four Noble Truths he hears Samathabhadra proclaiming the most profound Dzogpachenpo." - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Posts: 612
Location: Lafayette, CO
H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche composed a short funeral service for cremation. It's excellent. You can try receiving it from any Dudjom Tersar Teacher.

:namaste:

_________________
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:30 pm
Posts: 136
pemachophel wrote:
H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche composed a short funeral service for cremation. It's excellent. You can try receiving it from any Dudjom Tersar Teacher.

:namaste:

Thanks very much for that :namaste:

_________________
"When a Dzogchen Yogi hears Shakyamuni Buddha turning the Wheel of the Dharma of the Four Noble Truths he hears Samathabhadra proclaiming the most profound Dzogpachenpo." - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group