Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:37 pm
Posts: 1
hi i am new to life and was just wondering about the general Buddhist attitude towards something that I find to be the most pleasureful and rewarding experience known to our human race.

so I guess my question is, what about consensual sex?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
Samadhi is sweeter.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:10 am
Posts: 327
It's fine. Plenty of Buddhists are married or in relationships.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 1355
idontknow wrote:
hi i am new to life and was just wondering about the general Buddhist attitude towards something that I find to be the most pleasureful and rewarding experience known to our human race.

so I guess my question is, what about consensual sex?
What about eating favorite foods?

What about listening to favorite music?

What about enjoying favorite company?

Sex is no different than any other pleasure.

Enjoyable, but painful if clung to.

_________________
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm
Posts: 952
idontknow wrote:
so I guess my question is, what about consensual sex?


What about it. Pretty good eh? And samadhi is sweeter . .
Now . . . to combine the two . . . :woohoo:

_________________
YinYana Buddhism


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:50 pm
Posts: 732
Location: South Florida, USA
Good article on it here. :smile:

Buddhism and Sex
by
M. O'C. Walshe
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el225.html

_________________
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 409
Location: Reading MI USA
:good:

Thanks seekere242

:namaste:
Dave

_________________
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 2:11 pm
Posts: 15
always ask yourself this, will it make you happy ? will it make others happy ? won't it harm any living beings ? so do it without any hesitation

this is the meaning of Buddhism

_________________
We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.”
-Buddha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:47 am
Posts: 468
Indrajala wrote:
Samadhi is sweeter.


Yes, of course, what else can a monk say?

But please don't generalize about things beyond your ken.

Not everyone is the same.

Even the sweetest apple is not the same as a ripe cantaloupe.

:namaste:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:25 am
Posts: 164
Location: Lima, Peru
Both sex and samadhi experiences can be really detrimental to the practice if one clings to them, develops grasping... Paraphrising the late Chögyam Trungpa, ego is constantly trying to acquire every experience and every knowledge for its own benefit.

Otherwise they're fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
MalaBeads wrote:
Indrajala wrote:
Samadhi is sweeter.


Yes, of course, what else can a monk say?


I wasn't always a monk.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 am
Posts: 1934
Location: Sydney AU
Philosophical analysis: sex is closely related to 'clinging'. Why? Because it is essentially an expression of the desire for continued existence. Of course it might not *seem* like that. As far as you and I are concerned, it is just irresistably attractive. But what drives it? Why is it so powerful? I'm sure it has to do with the nature's drive to exist.

It's also interesting to reflect on the connection between 'carnal' and 'incarnation'. Both words are derived from a common Latin root.

In the ancient world, of course there was no contraception, and so the connection between sex and offspring was pretty hard to avoid. So the duty of the wise was to strive for 'apatheia' or detachment from the instinctual drives. The modern world doesn't see it like that, of course, but I don't know how many people actually think about it philosophically.

_________________
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:57 am
Posts: 231
flavio81 wrote:
Both sex and samadhi experiences can be really detrimental to the practice if one clings to them, develops grasping... Paraphrising the late Chögyam Trungpa, ego is constantly trying to acquire every experience and every knowledge for its own benefit.

Otherwise they're fine.


Samadhi is something to be cultivated. Telling people to be afraid of samadhi is what maras do.

What is the danger of becoming attached to samadhi? Ending up in a heavenly realm. Soooo dangerous; better warn everyone!

I concur with Indra, samadhi is sweeter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:25 am
Posts: 164
Location: Lima, Peru
Ramon1920 wrote:
flavio81 wrote:
Both sex and samadhi experiences can be really detrimental to the practice if one clings to them, develops grasping... Paraphrising the late Chögyam Trungpa, ego is constantly trying to acquire every experience and every knowledge for its own benefit.

Otherwise they're fine.


Samadhi is something to be cultivated. Telling people to be afraid of samadhi is what maras do.


I'm not telling anyone to be "afraid" of samadhi. I'm warning not to be attached.

Ramon1920 wrote:
What is the danger of becoming attached to samadhi? Ending up in a heavenly realm.


And then through this attachment the person passes through the deva realm and then straight to the hell realm.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:28 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Posts: 10289
Location: Greece
flavio81 wrote:
And then through this attachment the person passes through the deva realm and then straight to the hell realm.
Not necessarily, depends on their karma. If they cultivated attachment to samadhi AND engaged in virtuous acts then (after rebirth and death as a god) they may be reborn in a human existence with all the freedoms and riches.

_________________
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:57 am
Posts: 231
flavio81 wrote:

And then through this attachment the person passes through the deva realm and then straight to the hell realm.


So you recommend not caring about whether or not you get samadhi even though every legitimate Buddhist school stresses putting effort into gaining samadhi?

That is what you mean by not being attached right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:15 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Posts: 10289
Location: Greece
Ramon1920 wrote:
So you recommend not caring about whether or not you get samadhi even though every legitimate Buddhist school stresses putting effort into gaining samadhi?

That is what you mean by not being attached right?
It seems to me that is how you define "not being attached".

_________________
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 am
Posts: 1934
Location: Sydney AU
Konchog1 wrote:
idontknow wrote:
hi i am new to life and was just wondering about the general Buddhist attitude towards something that I find to be the most pleasureful and rewarding experience known to our human race.

so I guess my question is, what about consensual sex?


What about eating favorite foods?

What about listening to favorite music?

What about enjoying favorite company?

Sex is no different than any other pleasure.

Enjoyable, but painful if clung to.


Well, it is different when it gives rise to babies - so there are far greater consequences than those arising from the enjoyment of food and music. And besides, I think if it is treated simply as a source of pleasure this is where many problems arise, isn't it? One would hope there would be rather more to it.

_________________
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 1355
jeeprs wrote:
Konchog1 wrote:
idontknow wrote:
hi i am new to life and was just wondering about the general Buddhist attitude towards something that I find to be the most pleasureful and rewarding experience known to our human race.

so I guess my question is, what about consensual sex?


What about eating favorite foods?

What about listening to favorite music?

What about enjoying favorite company?

Sex is no different than any other pleasure.

Enjoyable, but painful if clung to.


Well, it is different when it gives rise to babies - so there are far greater consequences than those arising from the enjoyment of food and music. And besides, I think if it is treated simply as a source of pleasure this is where many problems arise, isn't it? One would hope there would be rather more to it.
True, but based on the context I think idontknow was referring to the pleasure of sex, not sex in general.

_________________
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buddhism and sex
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 pm
Posts: 1727
Ramon1920 wrote:
So you recommend not caring about whether or not you get samadhi even though every legitimate Buddhist school stresses putting effort into gaining samadhi?


While I can't know which schools of Buddhism you personally find legitimate, I can tell you that quite a few Buddhist school warn students about the dangers of becoming too proud of and attached to different types of samadhis they have experienced.

Soto Zen Buddhists, for example, don't seek after any special meditation experiences at all and simply practice a meditation without object which continuously involves letting go of all grasping.

Tibetan Buddhism specifically warns about these things. Here is a quote from "The Words of My Perfect Teacher," page 250:
"Concentration is of three kinds: the concentration practiced by ordinary beings, concentration which clearly discerns and the excellent concentration of the Tathagatas.

The concentration practiced by ordinary beings. When you are attached to the experiences of bliss, clarity and absence of thought in meditation and intentionally seek them, or your practice is colored by any affinity for experiences, that is called the concentration practiced by ordinary beings.

Clearly discerning concentration. When you are free from any attachment to meditative experiences and are no longer fascinated by concentration, but still cling to emptiness as an antidote, that is called clearly discerning concentration.

The excellent concentration of the Tathagatas When you no longer have any concept of emptiness as an antidote, but remain in a concept-free concentration on the nature of reality, that is called the excellent concentration of the Tathagatas."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group