Long Life practices

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Long Life practices

Postby Ramon1920 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:24 am

Any good ones?

I don't look old but I have some health problems that may shorten my life some.
I used to drink my own urine as per some instructions I got. But when I started taking medicine regularly I decided it wasn't a great idea to be drinking recycled pills.
Ramon1920

Re: Long Life practices

Postby Tanaduk » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:55 am

Maybe White Tara?
White Tara known for compassion, long life, healing and serenity; also known as The Wish-fulfilling Wheel, or Cintachakra.
Schort practice text: http://www.gyutocenter.com/downloads/do ... raFPMT.pdf

Tanaduk

Postby plwk » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:28 pm

Well here's what some have told me...
Amitayus, animal life liberation, stop watching Oprah, stop going on forums, go on organic food diet, move to a village/mountain side, don't get married, swear less, go vegetarian... choices choices choices...
plwk

Postby kirtu » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:35 pm

As Tanaduk and plwk have mentioned, White Tara, Amitayus and animal liberation.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby conebeckham » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm quite fond of Thangtong Gyalpo's short Tsedrup practice, which HH Sakya Trizin bestows on a fairly regular basis.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby deff » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:00 pm

as has been said, life release is a great practice :smile:
deff

Postby Ramon1920 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Haha, I thought the name Thangtong Gyalpo sounded familiar. I checked my cache of texts and found "the longevity practice - essence of immortality according to the heart essence of the great siddha". There is a line, " I invoke the heart samaya of Thangtong Gyalpo, gather the life-nectar" etc. Is this the practice you had in mind Cone?

Regardless, I would still need permission and instructions since I'm not familiar with it. Also a new copy since the text I have, looking it over, was a bad print and some of the mantras have ambiguous letters.
Ramon1920

Postby jikai » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:44 am

chanting the Enmei Jikku Kannon Gyo is a good one. It is the 10 verses of Long Life Avolokitesvara Sutra.
Gassho,
Jikai.
"There are no seperate dharma's in the Three Realms. There is only the operation of the one mind."
"Whoever wishes to benefit beings ought to establish teachings that fit their capacities, expound the dharma in accordance with their capacities, and match the doctrines to them"
jikai

Return to Open Dharma