Is it ethical to work with the Buddhist Association ofChina?

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
uan

Re: Is it ethical to work with the Buddhist Association ofCh

Postby uan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 pm

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Uan,

I am against the BAC because I am for Buddhism without political interference.

The human rights situation in China is not improving, it is worsening. There is huge potential for the flourishing of Buddhism in China, and this is being hampered by government through organs such as SARA.

The tone of my posts these days is tempered by the very desperate situation the Tibetans are facing, and the waning concern for their welfare as the economic clout of China grows. If you look at my posts as a history you will see historically they were very mild. The current, serious situation of human rights abuses across China requires more than politeness to address. It is the dharma that is at stake. I am under no illusions. I am not calling for anything drastic like sit ins or violence. I am questioning whether it simply might be better to call out the BAC when it tries to manipulate Buddhism rather than capitulate.

The PRC government has shown time and time again that it sees Buddhism and all religious traditions as possible threats to its monopoly on power. This is important information for people to know and understand. To sit back and say that calling out human rights abuses is negative is to disregard the thousands of people deprived of freedom in China, who can be shot for attending a birthday celebration of the Dalai Lama or sent to jail for being unwilling to sell their valuable farmland to state corporations to build factories.

You mention HHDL's conciliatory attitude- it is true, he will always advocate non-violence and compassion. But he does not sugarcoat the situation or kowtow to cruel authorities- after all, he did call the situation in some Tibetan regions "Hell on Earth".

Politeness is just simply irresponsible at this point. Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh tried with good intentions to play nice with the Communist authorities in Viet Nam and it lead to disaster at the Bhat Nha monastery. You think my approach is negative, I think the picture you paint is naieve.

uan

Postby uan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:33 pm

JKhedrup

yes, I guess I am naive. But I'm okay with that.

However, there are more options than either capitulating or calling out an organization. I actually don't think the values that underscore Buddhism says one should capitulate, or call out. The middle path that HHDL and TNH follow are good examples. There is a moral power in their positions that can't be overcome. Sure, in the moment yes, you can lose out, but over time, as the storm subsides, they gain in stature. This is the legacy of Ghandi. This is the legacy of Martin Luther King.

If one chooses the path of confrontation, the only chance of success is if it's grounded with a deep core of compassion, as exemplified by HHDL. Unfortunately, most of us do not have that level of bodhichitta.

There's emptiness and impermanence. People live and die. Countries rise and fall. Things are built and then destroyed. But the dharma will remain. I can empathize with your passion for the suffering you see. If we were on another forum, I'd have a different type of conversation with you. But we are on a Buddhist forum, and I choose to be naive.

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Uan,

Martin Luther King Jr and Gandhiji were famous also for their peaceful style of civil disobedience. I believe they would have challenged publicly the religious freedom violations perpetuated by SARA and BAC regulations.

Son of Buddha

Postby Son of Buddha » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:51 am

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:46 am

Son of Buddha

Postby Son of Buddha » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:39 am

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:28 pm