Scaling your own teeth

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Ramon1920

Scaling your own teeth

Post by Ramon1920 »

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I bought a set of dental scaling tools online because I take a lot of calcium pills and drink a lot of coffee and don't go to the dentist often.
hansen

Re: Scaling your own teeth

Post by hansen »

Actually dental assistants as well as dentists are trained in doing deep scale/root planing. Now, finding someone who is up front and starts with this procedure as well as an examination may not be all that easy. What happens is, plaque forms beneath the gum line and fosters infection, gum disease, bone loss, and naturally tooth loss. I'd use the tools that you have to keep things in order - what you can get to. But eventually you may want someone who can get to the areas you can't. Also, oil of thyme or Listerine (which contains oil of thyme) are beneficial. :quoteunquote:
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Thanks for the Thyme recommendation^.

Currently I use a Terradent toothbrush (which is way better than most, and there might even be better; I'll have to look around a bit more) with Tea-Tree oil dental tape, Natural Dentist brand mouth rinse and/or Neem mouth rinse, and Ayurvedic toothpaste.

Coffee is overall not so great (especially if it has mycotoxins, which most coffee has, as most coffee is bad quality because it is not processed correctly), unless you Bulleetproof it. Yerba Maté is better than coffee overall, and even better than Yerba Maté is the newly-discovered (for me) Guayusa, the latter of which has no tannins and no 'crash' that you get with most coffees.

http://www.runa.org/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FS ... PDKIKX0DER

Definitely my favorite herbal energy tea^ ("Clean energy" is actually a perfect description of how Guayusa feels).

And coffee is probably worse for one's teeth....
Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan »

Hydrogen peroxide is a good oral debridement. I rinse with a couple of tablespoons every other day or so after flossing and brushing. I swish it around for a minute or so then rinse well with water. Don't swallow the hydrogen peroxide.
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
oṃ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya
Ramon1920

Post by Ramon1920 »

Jainarayan wrote:Hydrogen peroxide is a good oral debridement. I rinse with a couple of tablespoons every other day or so after flossing and brushing. I swish it around for a minute or so then rinse well with water. Don't swallow the hydrogen peroxide.
I was reading a scaling manual and it said to use hydrogen peroxide before scaling to loosen up tartar also.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

The reason why you shouldn't swallow low quality common industrial/cosmetic grade hydrogen peroxide is because it's full of toxins, metals, industrial chemicals, etc. (which can seep into your system through your mouth even if you don't swallow it).

Read here:

http://www.essentialoxygen.com/pages/toxin

If you get food grade hydrogen peroxide you don't have to worry about any of that, and if you swallow any it's okay.

The latter is a little pricey but I get my food grade hydrogen peroxide (Essential Oxygen) at Whole Foods Market and just stock up when it's on sale, and on Tuesdays their supplements and bodycare are all 15% off (and that's on top of any sales they have going on, so it makes shopping there affordable).
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

http://www.essentialoxygen.com/pages/toxin

Glycerin

In 2002, Gerard F. Judd, Ph.D., Researcher and Professor Emeritus of Chemistry, wrote a letter to the United States government stating that teeth re-enamel themselves by drawing minerals from food. Glycerin, he discovered, inhibits this process. Removing the glycerin ‘coating’ from teeth requires up to 27 rinses. Virtually all so called ‘healthy’ toothpastes contain glycerin as a primary ingredient
As much as I like Himalaya brand's other (organic herbal) products, and as much as I would like to use Ayurvedic toothpaste; I think I'll be getting Essential Oxygen brushing rinse from now on instead (same procedure as with getting food grade hydrogen peroxide: Look for coupons, stock up when it's on sale and on 15%-off-day at Whole Foods Market; or maybe see if Vitacost or iHerb has it for much less).

In fact, Vitacost has it for a bit less than retail price, and you get free shipping with Vitacost when you spend I think at least $45; and I buy 32 ounce jars of Organic Raw Honey from Vitacost because it's about half of what Whole Foods Market charges, even though Whole Foods Market's organic products generally cost less than what organic products cost at ordinary chain grocery stores. Three 32 ounce jars of raw honey and two 16 oz bottles of Essential Oxygen brushing rinse makes for free shipping (we'll have to see how long one bottle will stretch while still getting the job done).
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Your tooth enamel does not distinguish between raw honey and refined sugar.

( Ask your dentist.)

Your mind does that.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Maybe tooth enamel doesn't, but your body as a whole does. Anyway, I only mentioned raw honey as an example of how to get free shipping at Vitacost; in other words if you order the mentioned organic teeth brushing rinse from them, then might as well order other stuff with it as to get free shipping. Organic raw honey is just one example of some of the useful (and sustainable) things and good deals found there.
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Actually, once the simple sugars have been broken down your body doesn't.
Honey does taste nicer though.
And most people with concerns about what they eat are more judicious with the use of honey than are people who use white sugar with that.
In the end they are both reduced to simple sugars by the digestive processes..
And neither are strictly speaking necessary for health.

Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Well organic unfiltered raw honey has nutrients and especially many healthy enzymes that cane sugar—let alone processed/"refined"/bleached white cane sugar—does not have.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

It does. Honey is still 98% sugar however and will end up as glucose after digestion just as sucrose does.

Ramon1920

Post by Ramon1920 »

I have scaled my teeth, but I realize it's impractical to scale your own teeth because you can't get everything. Also I worry there could be some enamel damage from scaling your own teeth. So while my teeth are much much cleaner now, I will still be going to the dental hygienist to get all the parts I cannot see or easily reach. :mrgreen:
tucker1

Post by tucker1 »

Dental exams and teeth cleaning are available from the dentist for around $50 - $80 dollars.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”