Negative Consequence of Playing Cards

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
rose
Site Admin

Re: Negative Consequence of Playing Cards

Post by rose »

Deleted duplicate post.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Caz wrote:Well I don't think i'll be playing cards again ! :namaste:
Well only if you recognise the authority of Guru Padmasabhava and the validity of the Treasure tradition. Do you caz?
s.
Caz

Post by Caz »

Stewart wrote:
Well only if you recognise the authority of Guru Padmasabhava and the validity of the Treasure tradition. Do you caz?
My teachers respect Padmasambhava as a Buddha and so do I. In fact there where some playing cards left in a free gift bag I got and I put them in the bin. :namaste:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Gyaltsen Tashi

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

Caz wrote:
Stewart wrote:
My teachers respect Padmasambhava as a Buddha and so do I. In fact there where some playing cards left in a free gift bag I got and I put them in the bin. :namaste:
I think the instructions in the text are to burn them or throw them in a body of water. I was reminded by a Vajra friend that the spirits could escape otherwise. If it is any comfort, I made the same mistake as you.

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi
Caz

Post by Caz »

[/quote]I think the instructions in the text are to burn them or throw them in a body of water. I was reminded by a Vajra friend that the spirits could escape otherwise. If it is any comfort, I made the same mistake as you.

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi[/quote]

The Bin men will be out to collect soon. Besides Dharma practitoners should have little worry about spirits is they practice purely ! :namaste:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Besides Dharma practitoners should have little worry about spirits is they practice purely !
How many Dharma practitioners practice purely? And why did Lama Tzongkhapa compose several rituals for pacifying spirits?
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

JKhedrup wrote:
Besides Dharma practitoners should have little worry about spirits is they practice purely !
How many Dharma practitioners practice purely? And why did Lama Tzongkhapa compose several rituals for pacifying spirits?
For practitioners that don't practice purely, or for patrons who don't practice at all, I'd imagine.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

I am not so sure. Look at what it really requires to have a complete and pure refuge, it is not such an easy thing. Many senior monks in India told me they still didn't fully understand the various presentations of the qualities and functions of the triple gem as explained in the texts and so found their practice of refuge lacking. Some were very well cultivated scholars. Faith in the triple gem is one (important) thing, but a full practice of refuge requires an understanding of the Triple Gem, and for example how many people know the different bodies of a Buddha and their function, the three baskets of the teachings (dharma jewel) really well, and the various levels of Arya Sangha?

In the biographies of great lamas you read about spirit obstacles with some regularity. Lama Tzongkhapa in his writings on Yamantaka speaks of the need of this sort of deity to pacify both the inner, mental obstacles as well as the outer obstacles of hindering spirits. These rituals within the Yamantaka corpus are practiced by many Gelug lamas of high realization.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

JKhedrup wrote:I am not so sure. Look at what it really requires to have a complete and pure refuge, it is not such an easy thing.

Its a very easy thing, as the Uttaratantra states:
  • Ultimate refuge
    is only the buddha,
    because the Muni is endowed with the dharma body.
If one understands that definition of refuge, the others become secondary and not so important at all since the dharmakāya is the source of all other refuges, and exists as an innate attribute in all sentient beings. Therefore, the highest, most perfect refuge is one's own primal nature.
maybay

Post by maybay »

It's all rather quaint.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
maybay

Post by maybay »

Perhaps what makes me uncomfortable is the triple combination of a political, contemporary motif delivered as a solemn injunction 'Do not change your language' wrapped up in retroactively authoritative verse. I've come to associate verse with romanticism. Pragmatism destroys the effect, and the inventor reveals himself by it. He has an agenda which he tries to conceal. He tries to string together the most tenuous causal relations and take advantage of his position to publish his ideas. Of course of I go out on a limb by saying this, but that's how it looks to me. It wouldn't be the first fake terma.
- Machig Labdron
Gyaltsen Tashi

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

maybay wrote:Perhaps what makes me uncomfortable is the triple combination of a political, contemporary motif delivered as a solemn injunction 'Do not change your language' wrapped up in retroactively authoritative verse. I've come to associate verse with romanticism. Pragmatism destroys the effect, and the inventor reveals himself by it. He has an agenda which he tries to conceal. He tries to string together the most tenuous causal relations and take advantage of his position to publish his ideas. Of course of I go out on a limb by saying this, but that's how it looks to me. It wouldn't be the first fake terma.
I guess the ball is in my court. Well, you're entitled to your opinion. As I can't find the identity of the terton or any qualified master who has authenticated it, this might certainly be a fake terma. However, I prefer to keep an open mind and see if the claims can be verified over time. In the meantime, I don't find it a loss to abstain from playing poker or holding the cards.

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi
maybay

Post by maybay »

I doubt there's anyone on the other side of that email address willing to discuss this sort of thing. It's kind of like a rumour or a computer virus. You just put it out there and let it do its thing—or cast doubts over corrosive habits like playing cards.

I'm more with the analytical approach to the effects of playing cards, or Go or Chess for that matter. Its interesting to see how the defensive, conservative Chinese mind could have been conditioned by Go, and the capitalistic, confrontational Indo-European mind manifests in the 64 place Chess mandala. Think of all the millions of hours spent playing these games over generations. We could explore this and find something deeper than just a prohibition against cards. Something that encovers any game. Games are more prolific than ever.
- Machig Labdron
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

maybay wrote:Its interesting to see how the defensive, conservative Chinese mind could have been conditioned by Go, and the capitalistic, confrontational Indo-European mind manifests in the 64 place Chess mandala.
Chess originated in India.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
aparajita

Post by aparajita »

I played cards a few weeks back. And, fortunately, I escaped being possessed by any gyalpo. :-p
I think people make a bit too much of this sort of thing some times. Like the fellow who wanted to know if he should torch his cards, or if the trash is OK. It reminds me of growing up in a very fundamentalist household. At one point, everyone decided that Proctor and Gamble was "demonized" because of their logo. So a mad rush to toss all of their products ensued.

There aren't any demons in the cards. The demons are in your "heart" and the most dangerous one won't give you tuberculosis - it will cause you to spend your life either doing silly things or worrying about peope who spend their lives doing silly things.

Just a thought. :juggling:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”