Hello everyone!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
dalailemur

Hello everyone!

Post by dalailemur »

Very much looking forward to discussing the Dharma with my new virtual sangha! I'm a newbie-ish Buddhist in Northern Ireland. Currently reading around the different aspects of Buddhism and, after about a year, am just starting to get my head around it! I'm a regular at my local centre (NKT, there isn't much choice here, San Francisco it is not!) but am reading both Tibetan (including HH Dalai Lama) and Zen books in order to broaden my understanding.

Great to be here! :twothumbsup:
flavio81

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by flavio81 »

dalailemur wrote:Very much looking forward to discussing the Dharma with my new virtual sangha! I'm a newbie-ish Buddhist in Northern Ireland. Currently reading around the different aspects of Buddhism and, after about a year, am just starting to get my head around it! I'm a regular at my local centre (NKT, there isn't much choice here, San Francisco it is not!) but am reading both Tibetan (including HH Dalai Lama) and Zen books in order to broaden my understanding.

Great to be here! :twothumbsup:
Hello!!

You may as well check the thread where there are book recommendations.

As a very basic book i'd recommend you "The art of happiness" by the Dalai Lama, it was one of the first books on buddhism i read and it was an easy read, plus it really helps you to be a better person.

An essential book for tibetan buddhism is (in my opinion) "Cutting through spirititual materialism", written by Chogyam Trungpa. This one paints the whole picture, the whole path very clearly.
dalailemur

Post by dalailemur »

Thanks for the recommendations flavio81, I'll be sure to take a look!
rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Greetings! I'm also new here.

No judgment intended but you attend an NKT Sangha and are reading books by HHDL?

:?:
flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

rabbit wrote:Greetings! I'm also new here.

No judgment intended but you attend an NKT Sangha and are reading books by HHDL?
Oh... I overlooked the "NKT" acronym. You should better research the N3w K@d@mPa Trad!t10n in depth before involving with them. Also, terms of service of the forum:
History has shown discussions about Shugden/Dolgyal on websites such as this one result in flame wars. The management has taken a decision not to allow any discussion/debate, and that means from all sides, regarding all things Shugden/Dolgyal including: Teachers, monasteries, associated organizations, images, audio/video.
So i can't say anymore on this because of the :rules: . Research them carefully.
rabbit

Post by rabbit »

I would tend to agree with Flavio.
Please be careful.
I understand there might not be a lot of options where you are but there are plenty of reputable online resources.
Many blessings to you.

Rabbit

:namaste:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:meditate:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Welcome "dalailemur"!

I hope your karma pans out for you soon and you have the opportunity to study with some other groups/traditions too!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Welcome! :buddha1: :namaste:

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Introductions”