The "most powerful" mantra.

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: The "most powerful" mantra.

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I can't remember where I read it, but I think I've seen it said that 10th level bodhisattvas can create new mantras.

I hesitate to say that as I would hesitate to splash gasoline around a fire, but then again I don't see this thread getting any worse.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

smcj wrote:I can't remember where I read it, but I think I've seen it said that 10th level bodhisattvas can create new mantras.

I hesitate to say that as I would hesitate to splash gasoline around a fire, but then again I don't see this thread getting any worse.
Take it easy... all information around that matter is precious.
Your servant,
John
Since I live in Portugal, I can only answer to posts between 9:00 and 20:00 (0º UTC).
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

The most powerful mantra is the letter 'A.'
Second most powerful is probably dependent on personal proclivities and one's actual practice.
lobster

Post by lobster »

M.G. wrote:The most powerful mantra is the letter 'A.'
Yes indeed.

'A' is for Apple is something we were taught in kindergarten, now that education is being sponsored by Microsoft, Google and others this may change.

Power investment as has been amply illustrated is invested by perceived authority or its lack. If you have no tree to plant your mantra seeds in, then you end up moving from 'A' to 'b' is for beeee (apologies for too many eee's for the literal)

The most powerful mantra is as always the one that empowers your practice. :namaste:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Second most powerful is probably dependent on personal proclivities and one's actual practice.
I don't think we can say that it is the most ' powerful '...I am not sure we could agree what ' powerful ' means in this context. Mantras are most usefully given by a teacher able to discern our needs.
The white ' A ' is often given to establish a practice.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

Simon E. wrote:
I don't think we can say that it is the most ' powerful '...I am not sure we could agree what ' powerful ' means in this context. Mantras are most usefully given by a teacher able to discern our needs.
The white ' A ' is often given to establish a practice.
I was having a bit of fun. (Though certainly my teacher did emphasize the importance of the letter 'A.')
Inquiring into the "most powerful" mantra is like asking about the "best practice." It's a matter of capacity, instruction, and time invested.
lobster

Post by lobster »

M.G. wrote:I was having a bit of fun.
:twothumbsup:

good plan

In the heretical Japanese Shingon/vajrayana tradition I was taught by self proclaimed Shifu Nagaboshi Tomio, the focus on kanji was complemented by mantra. One of my lesser teachers is now buried in the grounds of a Zen temple. From A to Z z z . . .

Now that the dharma finds that mantra from abracadabra to Tetragrammaton exists in Western scripts, we have to wonder if going back to ABC is possible?

Can you hear the gnashing of the hungry ghosts, waiting for an exclamation of power? :namaste:
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

I don't believe in a "most powerful" mantra, but I suppose a case could be made for the Vajra Guru mantra:

http://www.rinpoche.com/gurumantra.html

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”