walking meditation

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
dimeo

walking meditation

Post by dimeo »

I've just been introduced for the first time this month to walking meditation. I'd like to learn more! If anyone has any suggestions or resources they can direct me to that would be helpful.

Where I tried it was at the local Shambhala Center we meditated for a half hour and then walked slowly in a circle for a few minutes and then resumed meditating.

I'm more familiar with shamatha and vipassana practice while seated.
When I'm seated and still I can calm and be mindful of my breathing (anapanasati).

But when walking the rhythm of my feet would also be competing for my attention.

Can walking meditation allow one to reach as deep state of mind as seated practice? For some reason I'm skeptical that it can on it's own. I imagine it would need to be done in conjunction with regular seated practice.

But the idea of walking mediation is interesting to me. All this sitting still may be good for the mind, but muscles need exercise! If you sit in the park, eyes closed and meditate with your full lotus position... people take notice. If you walk in the park... no one pays any attention. A spouse who doesn't 'get' why you sit and meditate will think it fine if you say you're going out for a walk.
A secret under cover meditation technique ? :spy:
lobster

Re: walking meditation

Post by lobster »

A secret under cover meditation technique ?
:twothumbsup:

A good one too. Like internal (silent chanting). The shamballah mixture I used to do. Works well. Some people ONLY do walking meditation. Perfectly acceptable way to equanimity.

. . . and now back to mindful chomping . . .
:popcorn:
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

I really recomend this. Although i only practiced it formally for one or two months it really helped my "non formal" meditation and awarness. You can do this whenever you are walking to the bus stop, or to work or anywhere. Just be mindfull of cars while crossing the street =)
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Walking meditation could, in theory, make someone reach the enlightenment. If you have wisdow and mindfulness, I suppose its possible.

Walking meditation is not less important than sitting meditation. Even great masters used walking meditation.

There is a very, very good book about Vipassana Meditation, where you can read a little about walking meditation (completly free and downloadble ebook):
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/essentials.pdf
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

In Japanese zen it's called "Kinhin". It's about much more than just exercising your legs. :) There are a lot of good articles out there on it. A google search on the word "Kinhin" will bring up all kinds of stuff. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Sometime when you have a minute, do a search for "constantly walking samadhi" (jogyo zanmai).
Zaph

Post by Zaph »

Kinhin, as a meditation, is a valuable training in concentration. Properly done it encompasses two modes, slow and fast.

In slow mode, I cover about twenty feet in 5 minutes of constant motion. This requires focus so as not to lose balance. Awareness of all the muscle groups is necessary. I follow this with 5 minutes in fast mode. I walk rapidly, taking care not to bump into other walkers and not stumble.

I've been doing this for several years and believe it has improved my ability to concentrate.

Return to “Meditation”