Nirvāṇa, nibbāna, निर्वाण or निब्बान

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
PeDr0

Nirvāṇa, nibbāna, निर्वाण or निब्बान

Post by PeDr0 »

I read with interest in a book called 'A lion handbook, The Worlds's religions'

In a box out inside the book called 'The Buddha's Teaching' by Richard Drummond, under the title Nirvana:
The goal of life is nirvana. This is not the annihilation of the self (a Buddhist heresy). On the contrary nirvana is a transformed mode of human consciousness, also an independant reality with a dynamism of its own. It is radically other than the material world: the eternal realm, the uterly depndable, the true refuge.
I find this really resonsates with me and with my experience and just wanted to share it with the forum :-)
Son of Buddha

Re: Nirvāṇa, nibbāna, निर्वाण or निब्बान

Post by Son of Buddha »

PeDr0 wrote:I read with interest in a book called 'A lion handbook, The Worlds's religions'

In a box out inside the book called 'The Buddha's Teaching' by Richard Drummond, under the title Nirvana:
The goal of life is nirvana. This is not the annihilation of the self (a Buddhist heresy). On the contrary nirvana is a transformed mode of human consciousness, also an independant reality with a dynamism of its own. It is radically other than the material world: the eternal realm, the uterly depndable, the true refuge.
I find this really resonsates with me and with my experience and just wanted to share it with the forum :-)
if that really resonates with you,then look up the Nirvana Sutra and other Tathagatagarbha/Buddha Nature sutras.
http://www.nirvanasutra.net/
Koji

Post by Koji »

Is nirvana the realization of no-self?
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

It is not.
Koji

Post by Koji »

Ben Yuan wrote:
It is not.
Maybe I should have asked: "What realizes nirvana or liberation?"
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Koji wrote:Maybe I should have asked: "What realizes nirvana or liberation?"
Nirvana is actualised through the practice of the Noble Eightfold Path:
Wisdom
1. Right View
2. Right Intention
Moral Conduct
3. Right Speech
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
Concentration
6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration
muni

Post by muni »

Koji wrote:
Ben Yuan wrote:
It is not.
Maybe I should have asked: "What realizes nirvana or liberation?"
A nice read by Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche.
"Knowledge, discriminating wisdom or prajna concerns the correct view. Why? We all know that samsara or “cyclic existence” entails suffering and wish to become free of the inadequacies of conditioned existence by achieving nirvana or “freedom from suffering.” Merely understanding that samsara is suffering and nirvana is peace is not sufficient to attain liberation. We must have thorough knowledge of what samsara and nirvana actually are in order to attain the correct view concerning the ultimate reality of dharmata, “suchness, meaningfulness, being as such,” which enables us to properly focus our attention on the healthy and pure outlook.

Without the basis of the correct view, we would not be able to follow the path of the Buddhadharma, which eventually leads to fruition. For example, if someone intends to reach a specific destination without knowing where it is located or how to get there, they could not possibly arrive. They must study all details of their journey before setting out. Similarly, the proper view is essential before embarking on the spiritual path to enlightenment. The healthy view is the irremissible condition for meditative practices. Lacking the view, we persist with our materialistic ideas and remain beset by spiritual materialism".
http://multimedia.getresponse.com/725/6 ... /92066.pdf
Koji

Post by Koji »

I see my question as like a koan or maybe several koans. I go to the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. Okay, who is going? I am suffering in this corporeal condition. I don't want to suffer. So who takes up the 8-fold path to eliminate suffering realizing nirvana? Who even has right view and who eventually reaches samadhi if ever?
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Idea of permanent annihilation = nirvana does not exist in Mahayana.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Koji wrote:Who even has right view and who eventually reaches samadhi if ever?
Sometimes it is what we leave behind . .
the branch
the childish
the mature and advanced
the internal experiences
the expertise

:woohoo:

:oops:

not sure if it is Nirvana time
or breakfast . . .
xabir

Post by xabir »

Koji wrote:Is nirvana the realization of no-self?
What is nirvana? Nirvana is the analytical cessation/termination of craving/passion, aggression/anger, and delusion.

Realization of no-self is not nirvana. Realization of no-self, recognition of selflessness (Anattasaññā), however does result in nirvana when developed to the fullest (also there are different stages of awakening to full nirvana).

On recognizing no-self and nirvana: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.sg/2 ... hings.html

Buddha: "Here monks, a monk develops the awakening factor of mindfulness accompanied by the recognition of selflessness in what is unsatisfactory, dependent upon seclusion, dispassion, and cessation, resulting in letting go."
The very pulsing of dependent origination
Is the primordial face of the Tathāgata.
Like blood and veins and heart
- The two truths meet everywhere.

- André A. Pais
Koji

Post by Koji »

lobster wrote:
Koji wrote:Who even has right view and who eventually reaches samadhi if ever?
Sometimes it is what we leave behind . .
the branch
the childish
the mature and advanced
the internal experiences
the expertise

:woohoo:

:oops:

not sure if it is Nirvana time
or breakfast . . .
Sounds a tad nihilistic. :?

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”