Rule regarding Tattoo's in Buddhism

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
enjitsu

Rule regarding Tattoo's in Buddhism

Post by enjitsu »

Amito fo,

The question was asked by a member regarding the rules of tattoo's in buddhism. I consulted with the samgha member and they said. The rule in buddhism regarding tattoo's is we don't do it. Even if it is a tattoo about buddhism. It doesn't involve in buddhism. In buddhism we don't spend money on the tattoo we don't try to beautify our body, we meditate on it to try to move beyond it, because our body is dirty. It's also possible to get certain diseases from Tattoo's if the needles are not sterile. However neither this are the specific Buddhist answer. Please consult the Official Notes.

Amito fo
MJH

Re: Rule regarding Tattoo's in Buddhism

Post by MJH »

I asked our center's lama about a dharma tattoo, not too long ago. And he said that as long as it was not below the waist, it would be okay.
OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
KTL Buddhist videos
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

enjitsu wrote:Amito fo,

The question was asked by a member regarding the rules of tattoo's in buddhism. I consulted with the samgha member and they said. The rule in buddhism regarding tattoo's is we don't do it. Even if it is a tattoo about buddhism. It doesn't involve in buddhism. In buddhism we don't spend money on the tattoo we don't try to beautify our body, we meditate on it to try to move beyond it, because our body is dirty. It's also possible to get certain diseases from Tattoo's if the needles are not sterile. However neither this are the specific Buddhist answer. Please consult the Official Notes.

Amito fo
Are you certain you're speaking for all Buddhist traditions when you make categorical statements like this? And if so, what is the basis of your certainty? From what position do you make such claims?
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Enjitsu, I've heard the exact opposite of what you've written. As far as I'm aware there's no particular prohibition regarding tattoos.

Best,
Laura
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Uh, guys, you do know the old 'net maxim, right? DFTT
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Huifeng wrote:Uh, guys, you do know the old 'net maxim, right? DFTT

Defend Free Tibet Today?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Don't Feed The Trolls.

It's good advice. I'll be taking it from here on out in this case.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Huifeng wrote:Uh, guys, you do know the old 'net maxim, right? DFTT
The trolls almost always get fed, though.

And ironically, "Don't feed the trolls," is a common meal.

I'd let them eat and be happy.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

I have a largish blue lotus on my back surrounded by water :) My Lama has seen it, everyone has seen it, no comments one way or the other...
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

I consulted the 'Official Notes' and they said that we should not claim to know the intention of others and condemn them out of ignorance. ;)

I have tattoos, and sometimes I am asked about them, mostly out of curiosity and not condemnation. I wonder what life would be like if people with tattoos ran around asking everyone who does not have one to justify their choice. LOL :)

Cultural norms obviously also matter - in some places, not having a tattoo or piercing would be considered odd. And it is the way in nature that the 'ab-normal' are rejected by the rest of the pack/tribe/regiment etc.

This topic comes around every now and again, and in my experience many people have tattoos to mark events in their life to which they attach importance, not as something decorative. I know many Buddhists who have done so.

If we want to question why one person chooses a tattoo to mark, let's say, Taking Refuge, then do we also question the other outward indications of religious life which may be a shaved head, for example, or uncut hair, or wearing a kirpan? Is it any of our business?

If one person chooses to 'carry' a bell and dorje as a necklace, and another chooses a tattoo, rather than attack the person for their choice of medium, I would think how wonderful that a person chooses to keep those symbols with them at all times.

We don't start as perfect beings with pure minds, and don't all think of our bodies as impermanent bags of puss and bile. I can find nothing disrespectful or 'wrong action' if there is positive motivation and it helps that individual with their path at a particular time in their lives.

Here are some examples of Buddhist-themed Tattoos:

http://tibetantattoos.tribe.net/photos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Left
Jechan

Post by Jechan »

Having a noticable Buddhist-themed tattoo might be a good conversation starter to introduce others to Buddhism.

Wow, I like your tattoo. What is it?
Thanks, this is Guan-yin, the Bodhisattva of compassion.
The what...?
Well...
南無妙法蓮華経
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Looks like Buddhist artist Tashi Mannox!

I don't think he would design tattoos if they were tabood, especially since I do believe he is Kagyu school, and was a monk for years (17?) At least it's not taboo in the Tibetan traditions... or I would think he would at least consider it wrong action if it was a-dharmic.

I have a buddhist tattoo, my own representation of samsara and remembering all pleasure is pain's other face. And will be getting another as part of visualization practice. I just haven't exactly decided what and how yet, but it will happen when it does. My first tattoo took nearly 15 to materialize.

Since I design my own, it has to literally be my own conceptual shorthand to a mental state, or a state of impermanence. Tattoos can be deep practices, as they are always there, in the same way, dharma is always with us on or off the cushion.

:heart:
Ogyen.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

Return to “Lounge”