Lisa Bright, Earth Sangha, Chogye Order

DGA
Former staff member

Lisa Bright, Earth Sangha, Chogye Order

Post by DGA »

http://www.earthsangha.org/act/med.html

A member of our sangha recently asked me about this organization. I'd heard of them before (they had some fliers up at the university where I work some time ago), but I know nothing about them beyond what's described on their website. It appears to be a kind of synthesis between the mindfulness-Western-Buddhism-Batchelor kind of approach, environmental activism, and Zen.
Our meditation sessions are led by Lisa Bright, who has been recognized as a teacher by the Chogye Order of Zen Buddhism, the main Buddhist monastic order in Korea. Although our practice derives loosely from Zen, it is nondenominational.
Does anyone know anything substantive about this teacher, her group, or her approach? Thanks
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Lisa Bright, Earth Sangha, Chogye Order

Post by kirtu »

I don't know anything about Lisa Bright. Earth Sangha started many years ago and met in Old Town Alexandria. At that time they had a Korean monk teacher although I do not know the details. They are clearly eco-oriented as well and say that up front. My impressions were that they were a dedicated group.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Zen”