Budddhism in Nepal

General forum on Mahayana.

Budddhism in Nepal

Postby Tenpa2010 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:54 pm

here I propose to discuss about buddhism in Nepal, and to post some events.
Tenpa2010

Re: Budddhism in Nepal

Postby Greg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Tenpa2010 wrote:here I propose to discuss about buddhism in Nepal, and to post some events.

Very interesting topic - the only surviving strand of Indian Buddhism.
Greg

Postby tingdzin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:41 pm

However, Nepal is not in East Asia by any stretch of the imagination (except for maybe some expansionist Chinese's).
tingdzin

Postby Jikan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:23 pm

tingdzin wrote:However, Nepal is not in East Asia by any stretch of the imagination (except for maybe some expansionist Chinese's).

Problem solved: I've relocated this thread to the General Mahayana sub-forum.

I look forward to learning more about Newari Buddhism & Buddhism in Nepal generally.
Thanks to the help of generous sponsors (most of them from DharmaWheel), I'm doing a Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) self-retreat this summer. May the merit be yours!
Jikan
Site Admin

Re: Buddhism in Nepal

Postby Will » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:33 pm

This 'buddha boy', now known as Dharma Sangha, seems to practice Newari Buddhism:

http://www.dharmasangha.info/
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Re: Buddhism in Nepal

Postby mandala » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Will wrote:This 'buddha boy', now known as Dharma Sangha, seems to practice Newari Buddhism:

http://www.dharmasangha.info/

Ahh, i wondered what happened to 'buddha boy'... haven't seen anything about him since he went 'missing' some years ago.
mandala

Postby Jikan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Here is a group in Ashburn, Virginia, USA that is practicing some form of Newar Buddhism.

http://www.meetup.com/Byoma-Kusuma-Meditation/

...and Dance Mandal (based in the US out of Portland, Oregon) practices traditional Nepali Buddhist dance:

http://www.dancemandal.com/

I bring this up because there may be some ways in which these practices (which are closely tied to geographic location in Nepal) may be possible to practice outside Nepal.
Thanks to the help of generous sponsors (most of them from DharmaWheel), I'm doing a Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) self-retreat this summer. May the merit be yours!
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Bhusuku » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:11 am

Hey... I'm too really interested in the Nepali Dharma tradition(s) - unfortunately, it seems there ain't many people who share this interest (at least not outside of Nepal). And most of the literature that is out there is either out of print or at least very difficult to find... anyway, here's some of the stuff I came across so far...

Alexander von Rospatt: The Survival of Mahayana Buddhism in Nepal

Allen, M.R.: "Buddhism without monks: the Vajrayana religion of the Newars of Kathmandhu valley." In: South Asia 2 (1973)

David Gellner: Monk, Householder, and Priest; What the Three Yānas Mean to Newar Buddhists

David N. Gellner: Monastic Initiation in Newar Buddhism

Hubert Decleer: "Master Atisa in Nepal: The Tham Bahil and Five Stupas' Foundations according to the 'Brom ston Itinerary", Journal of the Nepal Research Centre 10 (1996), S. 27-51

John Locke, Karunamaya: The Cult of Avalokitesvara-Matsyendranath in the Kathmandu Valley, Kathmandu, 1980

John Locke: “The Unique Features of Newar Buddhism” in T. Skorupski, ed., The Buddhist Heritage, Buddhica Britannica Series Continua I, Tring, Institute of Buddhist Studies, 1989

John Locke: Newar Buddhist Initiation Rites

Kazumi Yoshizaki: Abstracts of research papers on Newar Buddhism in Nepal

Min Bahadur Shakya: Monasticism in Newar Buddhism:A Historical Analysis

Nalinaksha Dutt: Buddhism in Nepal

Siegfried Lienhard: "Nepal: the Survival of Indian Buddhism in a Himalayan Kingdom." In: The World of Buddhism. Buddhist Monks and Nuns in Society and Culture, ed. H. Bechert and R.F. Gombrich, London: Thames and Hudson, 1984

Todd T. Lewis: Mahayana Vratas in Newar Buddhism

Todd T. Lewis: Popular Buddhist Texts from Nepal - Narratives and Rituals of Newar Buddhism
Bhusuku

Postby Tenpa2010 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 am

Are there english translation of newar's buddhism sadhanas from sanskrit?
Tenpa2010

Postby Sherlock » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:10 pm

Snellgrove's translation of the Hevajra tantra, and some other translated Hevajra commentaries were based partly on Nepalese Sanskrit manuscripts. I'm sure there are other works as well. Someone once posted on this forum somewhere that Sanskrit sadhanas just give the instructions while Tibetan sadhanas really structure everything into a liturgy.
Sherlock

Postby yegyal » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:49 am

I'm not sure what you mean by Buddhism in Nepal. It seems like you want to know about Newari Buddhism, which is essentially Vajrayana and traditionally only found in Kathmandu valley. Otherwise, most of the Buddhism you find in Nepal would fall under the, admittedly misleading, heading of Tibetan Buddhism.
yegyal

Postby Tenpa2010 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:18 pm

In my first post I mean any kind of dharma tradition in nepal/ in 5th post I asked about newari texts/
Tenpa2010

Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism