How Buddhists relate to "the future"

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

How Buddhists relate to "the future"

Postby rachmiel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Buddhists are very aware of karma and its cause and effect ness.

Causes and effects play out over time.

Therefore, could one say that Buddhists are concerned with, working towards, preparing for ... the future by behaving karma-ically correct?

If so, how does this projection into the future affect living "in the now?"

(I'm not trying to make a point or looking for a philosophical argument. I'm just interested in how Buddhists relate to the future.)
No one really knows anything. (I think.)
rachmiel

Re: How Buddhists relate to "the future"

Postby Zhen Li » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:49 am

Working for a good future by accumulating good karma is Buddhist on the very mundane level.

There are teachings with fruits in the present life, teachings with fruits in the future life, and teachings for cessation. Moreover, there are Mahayana teachings, which fit into the third category, but are broader. Working for a good future is really the first two.

If you are "living in the now," this is really an approach more geared towards cessation, in which case, "working for a good future" isn't really what you're doing. This was mentioned in an earlier thread where I discussed black karma, white karma, both black and white karma, and neither black nor white karma. Working for a good future is aiming at accumulating white karma. Working for cessation is aiming at neither black nor white karma, i.e., going beyond good and bad and duality as well as time - therefore the present moment is wherein one works.

The motivation in the present moment is either, "cessation" or "cessation for both self and other."
Zhen Li

Postby muni » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:45 am

Yes. Since future is actually now, now, now, it is a now-image but useful to encourage by practice, not to lose courage, to remain humble ( I think to reveal what we really are) and by that keep going on now, now....Peace can only be revealed right now.
Some masters are pointing a lot on 'remembering the future' also to avoid to harm here right now. Ah. :toilet:
There is now and that cannot be grasped neither. 'Planning' for future is idea in thought, here right now...but please 'remember future'.

:namaste:
muni

Postby Simon E. » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 am

rachmiel wrote:Buddhists are very aware of karma and its cause and effect ness.

Causes and effects play out over time.

Therefore, could one say that Buddhists are concerned with, working towards, preparing for ... the future by behaving karma-ically correct?

If so, how does this projection into the future affect living "in the now?"

(I'm not trying to make a point or looking for a philosophical argument. I'm just interested in how Buddhists relate to the future.)

Ah yes ' living in the now '...Is there actually any choice in the matter ? :smile:
So make plans mindfully..and be flexible. And remember that despite anything you might have read by Tolle the present is no more 'real' than the past or future..
Simon E.

Postby rachmiel » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Simon E. wrote:And remember that despite anything you might have read by Tolle the present is no more 'real' than the past or future..

Good hook: You got me! Please elaborate ...
rachmiel

Postby lobster » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:08 am

Ah yes the emptiness of form, when it takes the 'living in the now' formation. :woohoo:

:zzz: another subtly of the sleeping

All composed things are like a dream,
a phantom, a drop of dew, a flash of lightning.
That is how to meditate on them,
that is how to observe them.
Diamond Sutra

Even the Diamond Sutra is just an arising dream . . . :popcorn:
lobster

Postby rachmiel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:52 am

lobster wrote:Ah yes the emptiness of form, when it takes the 'living in the now' formation. :woohoo:

:zzz: another subtly of the sleeping

All composed things are like a dream,
a phantom, a drop of dew, a flash of lightning.
That is how to meditate on them,
that is how to observe them.
Diamond Sutra

Even the Diamond Sutra is just an arising dream . . . :popcorn:

A dream (of a dream (of a dream ( of a dream (of a ...*)))).

* Repeat ad infinitum or until there is no repeater, whichever comes first.
rachmiel

Postby Simon E. » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:25 am

rachmiel wrote:
Simon E. wrote:And remember that despite anything you might have read by Tolle the present is no more 'real' than the past or future..

Time is not the field in which D.O. arises. Time arises with all other phenomena.
Simon E.

Postby rachmiel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Simon E. wrote:
rachmiel wrote:

Time is not the field in which D.O. arises. Time arises with all other phenomena.

Oh nooooooooooooooo! What am I s'posed to do *now* with all my clocks?!
rachmiel

Postby MalaBeads » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:53 pm

rachmiel wrote:Oh nooooooooooooooo! What am I s'posed to do *now* with all my clocks?!

ha, ha....get rid of them! Learn to pay attention to other things, like the sun, the moon, the light outside.

Pay attention to where your feet are, what your stomach feels like, what your neck is telling you.

And if you must (and i guess in this day and age we must) keep only one clock in your house so those those moments when you have an "appointment".

Otherwise, forget about it!!!

:tongue:
MalaBeads

Return to Open Dharma