Incarnations of Patrul Rinpoche

Bhusuku

Incarnations of Patrul Rinpoche

Post by Bhusuku »

Hello folks!

I'm a little confused about the incarnations of Patrul Rinpoche.
Since Patrul Orgyen Jigme Chökyi Wangpo was recognized as the reincarnation of Palge Samten Phuntsok, I always thought that he is considered as the 1st Patrul Rinpoche, followed by Tsö Patrul Rinpoche Kunzang Shenpen Özer (who was a student of Adzom Drukpa). But this website mentions the following lineage:

- the 1. Patrul Samten Phuntsok,
- the 2. Patrul Khampa Ngotsarchen,
- the 3. Patrul Orgyen Jigmé Chokyi Wangpo,
- the 4. Patrul Namkha Jigmé,
- the 5. Patrul Jigmé Rikpey Dorjé.

So, this website lists 5 Patrul Rinpoches, with Orgyen Jigme Chokyi Wangpo being #3, but doesn't mention Tsö Patrul Rinpoche at all, and it also says that the 5th Patrul Rinpoche, Jigme Rikpey Dorje Palzangpo, was born in 1963 and died in 2008.

However, the biography of Dzogchen Ranyak Patrul Rinpoche (who was also born in 1963 and currently resides in Belgium) states that he is the current incarnation of Patrul Rinpoche, although not #5 or #6, but apparently #3... And beside this 3rd incarnation, there is also Khempo Chomchok Patrul Rinpoche and apparently yet another living Patrul Rinpoche at the Dzogchen monastery.

So it seems there are currently three different incarnations, and only a couple of years ago there have been even four of them.... :shrug:
yegyal

Re: Incarnations of Patrul Rinpoche

Post by yegyal »

I think you have to differentiate between the Palge line of incarnations and those recognized as tulkus of Jigme Chokyi Wangpo specifically. It sounds strange, but this happened quite often when a tulku gained a greater status for their individual achievements than they did from their tulku line. Both Kongtrul and Khyentse are examples of this, as well. The line of incarnation that these individuals were recognized as continues after their death, but other incarnations are recognized sporadically that don't necessarily assume the seat or property of the main incarnation line, but are given the title nonetheless.

I hope that helps a little. As for the specifics of the Paltrul line or Paltrul-truls, I really don't know much.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

There is also a Patrul Rinpoche incarnation living in Tso Pema. BTW, I remember Heart once saying that the Belgian Patrul incarnation is not completely without controversy.
heart

Post by heart »

Clarence wrote:There is also a Patrul Rinpoche incarnation living in Tso Pema. BTW, I remember Heart once saying that the Belgian Patrul incarnation is not completely without controversy.
Sometimes I wonder if there is even a single tulku that is completely without any kind controversy. But as I sometimes say to my friend that is a disciple of the Belgian Patrul, "the point isn't what tulku a teacher is, it is that they teach so that they get through to your heart and have a genuine lineage".

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that Patrul Rinpoche said somewhere that he wouldn't reincarnate or manifest a tulku.

I think a few lamas have made such proclamations, but it hasn't stopped a line a tulkus springing up.

It gives rise to a namtok song in my mind "You can't stop the tulku, nobody can stop the tulku" to the tune of the Village People's "You Can't Stop the Music".
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Many thanks for your replies, guys!
heart wrote:Sometimes I wonder if there is even a single tulku that is completely without any kind controversy.
hmm... yes, I have similar feelings in this regard. Sometimes I wonder if they didn't thought it through very well when they invented this whole tulku system...

Anyway, I was never particularly interested in this tulku-business -- I just was curious because I know that Ranyak Patrul Rinpoche has been around for a while now here in Europe, and I never heard about other living Patruls before Khempo Chomchok Patrul Rinpoche visited Switzerland last winter.
Yeti wrote:I seem to remember that Patrul Rinpoche said somewhere that he wouldn't reincarnate or manifest a tulku
if that's true it's rather funny that there are (at least) four of them now...
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

Well it seems very complicated, more then ever before...
Moreover Chinese are now very good in spreading their own tulkus around the world... they have clear agenda doing so. And Westerners are pretty naive to follow easily anyone who claims whatever claims.

Sorry, in Taiwan it happens as well, not only there, but generally were the bigger community of Chinese believers appears in Asia.

Chinese gov's have long long history using people for their own purpose, so it happenes now with Tibetan Buddhism, and it has weak, very weak point, namely tulku system...
heart

Post by heart »

Yeti wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that Patrul Rinpoche said somewhere that he wouldn't reincarnate or manifest a tulku.

I think a few lamas have made such proclamations, but it hasn't stopped a line a tulkus springing up.

It gives rise to a namtok song in my mind "You can't stop the tulku, nobody can stop the tulku" to the tune of the Village People's "You Can't Stop the Music".
:smile:
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

I was fortunate to go on a pilgrimage to Central Tibet in 2007. I planned it so that I would be at Chimphu on the 10th lunar day of that month (June). When I arrived at Chimphu Utse Nunnery at the foot of Chimphu that morning, a huge practice session was in progress. There were two lamas on thrones. Both of them affected me strongly, I sensed a powerful samadhi that drew me in. I was captivated by these two lamas, so I asked my guide to find out who they were. He told me that the main one was Dza Patrul Rinpoche. Here is a humble video of some of that session; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1oyGQ6vw-Q
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
yegyal

Post by yegyal »

Yeti wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that Patrul Rinpoche said somewhere that he wouldn't reincarnate or manifest a tulku.

I'm not sure if you're actually wrong about this, but I've never heard this about Paltrul. Mipham is famous for saying he wouldn't be born in impure realms ever again, which matches up with your second point nicely. On the other hand, what really made Paltrul stand out is the fact that he abandoned the residence and wealth of the prevous Palge and became a wandering yogi. It seems the only thing he never really shook was the name, though he refered to himself as Abu Hralpo, which isn't exactly a compliment. So whether or not he intended to manifest again or not, he certainly didn't make much of his tulku entitlement during his lifetime and it's certainly not because of that title that he remains such a revered and beloved lama. Then again, I'm not one to bash the tulku system, so if somebody is recognized and then properly trained to uphold the lineage I think that's wonderful and of extremely great benefit of all those that wish to connect with those teachings.
Last edited by kirtu on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed ending quote tag
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Bhusuku wrote: So it seems there are currently three different incarnations, and only a couple of years ago there have been even four of them.... :shrug:
If Paltrul Chokyi Wangpo indeed said he wouldn't have any tulkus, this would be strange. Although, I'm sure he made compassionate aspirations concerning this realm, so I wouldn't be surprised if his main aim was to keep people from searching for and entangling his emanations in worldly politics. Aside from that, for a realized being, having multiple incarnations in general isn't strange at all. That's one of the powers of an arya bodhisattva or a buddha, after all. Take Dudjom Rinpoche for example: there were emanations of body, speech, mind, and either activities or qualities or both. For instance, one of my lamas, Gyatrul Rinpoche, had Dudjom Jigdral Yeshe Dorje and Natsog Rangdrol (one of the Dudjom emanations) for root gurus... And Natsog Rangdrol took Rinpoche to meet a nother Dudjom emanation, Kunzang Nyima, to receive empowerments and teachings, and he told of the Dudjom emanations really chatting it up together.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

I think there are many who emanate in different forms other than a line of a tulku. But it makes sense to emanate as a lineage tulku if there is the tendrel to continue the body, speech, mind, qualities and activity of that lineage. Maybe do both :smile:
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I know another contemporary Rinpoche who is considered an emanation of Patrul, although I'm not sure in which aspect.

There is a famous Mani wall in Tibet which was built by Patrul Rinpoche, when he finished it he declared that in the future a Tulku of him would return to finish and maintain it, and that people could have confidence that Patrul had returned.

Anyway, this Rinpoche never talk about it, he just gets on with looking after it as one of his projects in Tibet. But years ago Mindrolling Rinpoche mentioned this prophecy by Patrul when he heard Rinpoche had taken over the care of this huge Mani wall.
s.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Stewart wrote:I know another contemporary Rinpoche who is considered an emanation of Patrul, although I'm not sure in which aspect.

There is a famous Mani wall in Tibet which was built by Patrul Rinpoche, when he finished it he declared that in the future a Tulku of him would return to finish and maintain it, and that people could have confidence that Patrul had returned.

Anyway, this Rinpoche never talk about it, he just gets on with looking after it as one of his projects in Tibet. But years ago Mindrolling Rinpoche mentioned this prophecy by Patrul when he heard Rinpoche had taken over the care of this huge Mani wall.
Good to hear that :namaste:
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Stewart wrote:I know another contemporary Rinpoche who is considered an emanation of Patrul, although I'm not sure in which aspect.

:namaste:
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

I vaguely recall, though I'm not sure where from, that either Jigme Gyalwai Nyugu or Patrul Rinpoche said they would always be reborn as Khenpo or abbot of Dzagyal gompa in Dzachuka. I think Khenpo Choechok Rinpoche may have been Dzagyal Khenpo when he was recognized. I knew him from when I was in Tso Pema. He might still live there. I haven't been back for quite a while.
KalzangNorlha

Post by KalzangNorlha »

Patrul Rinpoche never said this. Drukpa Kyunley - "yes", not Patrul Rinpoche.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

KalzangNorlha wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

Yeti wrote:
KalzangNorlha wrote:
Thanks for the clarification.
I've heard from different sources that Patrul Rinpoche said he wouldn't take another rebirth and not to look for his tulku. I've also heard (from a student of Khenpo Chomchok Patrul Rinpoche) that Patrul Rinpoche wouldn't return as a tulku but would be whoever is khenpo at Dzagyal gompa. (I remembered, it was definitely Patrul.)
I've looked for references to Patrul Rinpoche's reluctance to return as a tulku but couldn't find anything other than the quote below. But I have heard it from a number of people so it must have a basis in something.

"It seems that when Dza Patrul was about to die, Khenpo Kunpel requested him to come back soon. He asked Patrul how he would be able to find his reincarnation, but Patrul replied that he would not take rebirth, and that Khenpo Kunpel should not look for his reincarnation. Nevertheless, he said, “It is certain that a monk carrying a sack will arrive whom you will think is me -- claim him.” Thus, when Botrul arrived carrying a sack, Khenpo Kunpel identified him as a reincarnation of Dza Patrul."
http://www.treasuryoflives.org/biograph ... yima/10093

Milarepa famously said that he wouldn't return as a tulku, but these are probably words put into his mouth from Tsangnyon Heruka, who had a bit of a thing against the tulku system. Of course, Milarepa lived before Karma Pakshi, the first tulku of that 'system.'
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

michaelb wrote:I've heard from different sources that Patrul Rinpoche said he wouldn't take another rebirth and not to look for his tulku. I've also heard (from a student of Khenpo Chomchok Patrul Rinpoche) that Patrul Rinpoche wouldn't return as a tulku but would be whoever is khenpo at Dzagyal gompa. (I remembered, it was definitely Patrul.)
I've looked for references to Patrul Rinpoche's reluctance to return as a tulku but couldn't find anything other than the quote below. But I have heard it from a number of people so it must have a basis in something.

"It seems that when Dza Patrul was about to die, Khenpo Kunpel requested him to come back soon. He asked Patrul how he would be able to find his reincarnation, but Patrul replied that he would not take rebirth, and that Khenpo Kunpel should not look for his reincarnation. Nevertheless, he said, “It is certain that a monk carrying a sack will arrive whom you will think is me -- claim him.” Thus, when Botrul arrived carrying a sack, Khenpo Kunpel identified him as a reincarnation of Dza Patrul."
http://www.treasuryoflives.org/biograph ... yima/10093

Milarepa famously said that he wouldn't return as a tulku, but these are probably words put into his mouth from Tsangnyon Heruka, who had a bit of a thing against the tulku system. Of course, Milarepa lived before Karma Pakshi, the first tulku of that 'system.'
Thanks for that. This is what I recollect I heard a long time ago, but the old grey matter is not what it used to be.

Return to “Nyingma”