The "most powerful" mantra.

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: The "most powerful" mantra.

Post by Grigoris »

lobster wrote: :twothumbsup:
I love mantrayana, I even have my own mantra
## ## ## ###
Have you had the "content" of this mantra verified by a qualified teacher? You can't just make up mantra. Praises? Yes, but mantras, no.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

jonaz108 wrote:
Adamantine wrote:Well, the Vajra Armor mantra is a quintessential powerful mantra -- but it is rare to be able to get the transmission for it and can not be done without transmission. It is also one not to be published publicly or pronounced audibly beyond ones own immediate collar. So please, no one that might know it should post it or share it.

Lama Dawa Chhodak offers retreats guided by him on this mantra : http://www.lamadawa.com/vajra-armor.html
The Vajra Armor Mantra is not only a powerful healing method, but a profound path to illumination, ultimately leading to the attainment of the rainbow body. It is one of the few paths, along with P’howa, that do not require the Ngondro (the 500,000 accumulations) as a prerequisite to practice. It is a path in its own right, with many levels and degrees of mastery. As one traverses the path, through a series of short retreats and ongoing practice, one systematically purifies the five elements within one’s own body and thus attains the ability to purify the elemental imbalances in another. In this way, diseases are removed. With further training, the practitioner cuts through the five poisons of anger, desire, ignorance, jealousy and pride, and in turn attains the ability to work directly with the elemental essences in the environment. Thus, one is able to control the weather patterns, increase prosperity, subjugate harmful influences and restore peace and harmony. In advanced stages of training, one gains control over the eight classes of spirits that live under, within and above the earth, thus preventing the rise and spread of contagious disease, natural disasters, and poverty. In the final stages of practice, the three poisons are transformed into the three kayas, and the five poisons become the five wisdoms. thus the very elemental essences of one’s body are transmuted into the five wisdom lights, and one’s own body is transformed into the ‘rainbow body.’
So sorry...
How can I remove it?
Namaste,
John
You never posted the mantra I am referring to, so there is nothing to remove. I was trying to inform you about this mantra, which you may not be aware of.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

gregkavarnos wrote:
## ## ## ###
Have you had the "content" of this mantra verified by a qualified teacher? You can't just make up mantra. Praises? Yes, but mantras, no.
A friend of mine made up his own morning mantra:

O CUPPA MOCHA JAVA AH Hmmmmm.... :focus:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

You never posted the mantra I am referring to, so there is nothing to remove. I was trying to inform you about this mantra, which you may not be aware of.
John
Last edited by Grigoris on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote function
Since I live in Portugal, I can only answer to posts between 9:00 and 20:00 (0º UTC).
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

jonaz108 wrote: ____________________________________________
Humm... ok
I was confused...
Namaste,
John
Ok, maybe you do know it. Did you post the whole mantra previously? I didn't see it.

Have you received the transmission? Please don't post any part again, even a fragment disguised. Thanks!
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

Adamantine wrote:
Humm... ok
I was confused...
Namaste,
John
Ok, maybe you do know it. Did you post the whole mantra previously? I didn't see it.

Have you received the transmission? Please don't post any part again, even a fragment disguised. Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------------
I never posted it before and I don't have transmission...
I just chant it with respect and reverence.
I will not post it again... sorry.
PS.: Is the Vajra Yogini mantra secret too..?
Namaste
John
Since I live in Portugal, I can only answer to posts between 9:00 and 20:00 (0º UTC).
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

jonaz108 wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
Humm... ok
I was confused...
Namaste,
John

---------------------------------------------------------------
I never posted it before and I don't have transmission...
I just chant it with respect and reverence.
I will not post it again... sorry.
PS.: Is the Vajra Yogini mantra secret too..?
Namaste
John
John, you seem to not have understood, no you can not show it "for the benefit of all " it is in fact the opposite
it will bring problems to disregard it's intended secrecy only for those
who have received the oral transmission and permission. If you willfully post it again
you will receive a formal warning and perhaps worse , and that goes for everyone.

What's more, it is inappropriate to chant this mantra at all without
the oral transmission EDIT: -from a yogi who has been given authority by their Guru- to transmit it.
Also, there are specific instructions on the proper way to recite it. If you ignore
all this you can bring harm to yourself and obstacles to your practice. Please stop, and
find a qualified teacher. This is not a matter to take lightly.

Consider yourself warned.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

If we talk about invented mantras, i have one in case that a strange person comes to meet me on the same side of the street, if i'm anxious to be bothered, i say "ich bin nicht da, ich bin nicht da, ich bin nicht da..."
Means: "I'm not there..."
It functions. People don't see me. :smile:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

smcj wrote:O CUPPA MOCHA JAVA AH Hmmmmm.... :focus:
And the chances your friend will achieve liberation from this mantra are about the same as "lobster" reaching liberation from his. :thinking:

I believe that westerners underestimate the power of mantras. This leads to two different outcomes: we seek the most powerful, most wrathful,most whatever mantra OR we think we can just string a few syllables together and that makes a mantra.

The transformative power of the "simplest" and most well known mantra: OM MANI PADME HUNG is bypassed in the quest for the most secret, strongest, etc...

We fail most times to understand that the essential quality of any one mantra is the same as all other mantras. Okay, some mantras are better for some (relative) circumstances than others but essentially...

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

gregkavarnos wrote:
And the chances your friend will achieve liberation from this mantra are about the same as "lobster" reaching liberation from his. :thinking:

I believe that westerners underetimate the power of mantras. This leads to two different outcomes: we seek the most powerful, most wrathful,most whatever mantra OR we think we can just string a few syllables together and that makes a mantra.

The transformative power of the "simplest" and most well known mantra: OM MANI PADME HUNG is bypassed in the quest for the most secret, strongest, etc...

We fail most times to understand that the essential quality of any one mantra is the same as all other mantras. Okay, some mantras are better for some (relative) circumstances than others but essentially...
Very nice
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

John, you seem to not have understood, no you can not show it "for the benefit of all " it is in fact the opposite
it will bring problems to disregard it's intended secrecy only for those
who have received the oral transmission and permission. If you willfully post it again
you will receive a formal warning and perhaps worse , and that goes for everyone.

What's more, it is inappropriate to chant this mantra at all without
the oral transmission from a yogi who has accomplished siddhi with it.
Also, there are specific instructions on the proper way to recite it. If you ignore
all this you can bring harm to yourself and obstacles to your practice. Please stop, and
find a qualified teacher. This is not a matter to take lightly.

Consider yourself warned.
I will look for a Guru as you advised.
I wish you the best too.
John
Last edited by Grigoris on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote function
Schrödinger’s Yidam

gregkavarnos wrote:

I believe that westerners underestimate the power of mantras. This leads to two different outcomes: we seek the most powerful, most wrathful,most whatever mantra OR we think we can just string a few syllables together and that makes a mantra.

My buddy is actually quite accomplished. His 'coffee mantra' was/is a joke.
Last edited by Schrödinger’s Yidam on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

smcj wrote:My buddy is actually quite accomplished. His 'coffee mantra' was/is a joke.
The humor was not lost on me, was the point I made lost on you?

Schrödinger’s Yidam

gregkavarnos wrote:
smcj wrote:My buddy is actually quite accomplished. His 'coffee mantra' was/is a joke.
No, of course not. Point well taken. :namaste:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

smcj wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:
No, of course not. Point well taken. :namaste:
:smile:

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

jonaz108 wrote:
I will look for a Guru as you advised.
I wish you the best too.
John

:anjali:
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

smcj wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:
## ## ## ###
A friend of mine made up his own morning mantra:

O CUPPA MOCHA JAVA AH Hmmmmm.... :focus:
Did anybody else pronounce it "JAWA" in their head? :tongue:
lobster

Post by lobster »

:popcorn:
All my teachers are unqualified but liberated. Do my mantras need checking with the liberated, of course not. Do they need vetting by qualified unliberated resources :thinking: not by me . . . :woohoo:

## ## ## ### - not currently verified
Last edited by Grigoris on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unverified personal "mantra"
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

lobster wrote::popcorn:
All my teachers are unqualified but liberated.
Says you.
Do my mantras need checking with the liberated, of course not. Do they need vetting by qualified unliberated resources :thinking: not by me . . . :woohoo:

Mantras are the wisdom of specific enlightened beings in verbal/speech form. Essentially they reflect a certain quality of wisdom specific to each deity. We chant the mantra in order to connect us to the wisdom of the specific enlightened being (our own wisdom essentially, but let's not stray too far afield) A mantra needs to be verified by a realised and qualified teacher for a number of reasons: A mantra is not just a random set of syllables. A mantra that we have invented may just be a random set of syllables, if so chanting the mantra will just increase confusion instead of generating wisdom. If we are really "unlucky" the syllables may connect us to an element of our mind that is actually destructive. If we are really "lucky" we may have stumbled across a new mantra with positive efects and outcomes. In any case, a teacher with a degree of realisation and with qualifications (ie learning, ie they know mantras) will be able to tell us what we are saying and if there is any benefit to what we are saying.

Now I am not going to exclude the possibility that the mantra you invented may have come to you in a flash of (apparent) insight or via direct contact with a (apparent) deity. Thing is you still need to refer to... because the flash may have just been ordinary old samsaric mind playing tricks on the local village idiot (ie ourselves) yet again. A Tibetan they would say that it may be Mara masquerading as a Deity (ignorance masquerading as wisdom), which is actually VERY common for beginners on the Mantrayana path. But you would already know all this if you had a qualified and realised teacher, something that you claim you do not need.

But while it may all seem so very :woohoo: to you, in reality, for us, looking at it from this side of the electric barbed wire fence that is holding you in, it is actually quite concerning. And it is not enough that you are cool with deluding yourself, but plastering your "mantra" all over the place is going to lead others down the same path as you too. The path to hell, they say, is paved with good intentions, but a path based on ignorance will lead you straight to the cud chewing realms. So mooooo... to you and please keep your personal mantra, personal (ie not public).
:namaste:

Schrödinger’s Yidam

lobster wrote: All my teachers are unqualified but liberated. Do my mantras need checking with the liberated, of course not. Do they need vetting by qualified unliberated resources :thinking: not by me . . . :woohoo:

You can do as you please, it's your practice.

Greg & I are traditionalists so we don't buy it, and advise others to do the same. But your practice, your karma, your life are your own. We all have plenty of lifetimes available to us for us to get it right. My education says that you're takin a detour, but then again who knows which of us is going to end up crossing the finish line first?

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”