A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm 

MalaBeads wrote:
The money thing is interesting.
It might be worth remembering that Longchenpa was one of the nearly destitute types. Even in his culture, which was poor to begin with.

Note that Jinpa Rangdrol says he is pretty destitute but still takes teachings continually at Tara Mandala.

/magnus

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:57 pm 

To be fair, Lama Tsultrim was only recognized as a Tulku of Machig something like 5 years ago (I don't remember exactly, so please correct me if I'm wrong), so it has very little to do with her status as a teacher. It's not like she was given a title and then started acting like a lama, but rather she spent her entire adult life pursuing the path and promoting the Tibetan yogini tradition, and then only recently was she "outed" as an emanation. So if you're going to judge her it should be based on her actions, not for some honor she never really asked for and couldn't refuse.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:46 am 

heart wrote:
MalaBeads wrote:
The money thing is interesting.
It might be worth remembering that Longchenpa was one of the nearly destitute types. Even in his culture, which was poor to begin with.

Note that Jinpa Rangdrol says he is pretty destitute but still takes teachings continually at Tara Mandala.

/magnus

Duly noted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:31 pm 

Udate on the recent activities:

To see the very beautiful photos taken at the teachings with CHNNR click here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151412389790776.1073741828.61830885775&type=1

Also a quote from the same Facebook page, see May 28th

"Tara Mandala becomes 'Dam Trog' with the Dzogchen Community. We just hosted a delightful weekend retreat at Tara Mandala with Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. It took place during the eclipse and full moon of the most auspicious month of the Tibetan Calendar, Saga Dawa. He consecrated the temple and also transmitted for the first time a terma sadhana from Nyagla Pema Duddul called Dugkarmo. She is a thousand-headed thousand-armed manifestation of the Great Mother Dharmakaya. Very powerful for removing obstacles. At his suggestion Tara Mandala is creating a formal relationship with his organization Dzogchen Community called "Dam Trog" which means Samaya Fellowship, where the organizations function independently but have a close association and transmission ties and exchanges of teachers and teachings."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:54 pm 

It's unfortunate there was no webcast for this retreat...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:57 pm 

Great o hear about the Dam-trog. Sincere congratulations to Lama Tsultrim Allione for doing all that was necessary to make this happen. I'm sure many obstacles have been cleared from the path of Tara Mandala due to this. E-ma-ho!

:namaste:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:33 pm 

asunthatneversets wrote:
It's unfortunate there was no webcast for this retreat...

This is ironic, because the only reason there was no webcast is because the internet at TM is rather shoddy due to its secluded location. Upgrading the internet to allow for live web-streaming is possible and may even be in consideration for the future, but it's a fairly in-depth process that would require a loooot of..... money.
And asking people to make donations to make the internet faster isn't exactly the easiest sell...

Slash I don't necessarily want a cell tower where I do retreat, do you?

The weekend was absolutely lovely. Rinpoche's 108 songs/dances were a lovely supplement to the Dugkarmo teachings. Nice to personally make a connection with the Dzogchen community, having encountered Rinpoche's teachings and done his practices via Lama Tsultrim, webcasts, etc., and being a student of Shang Shung's TTM school. It was quite wonderful.

Also, Rinpoche displayed an extremely touching act of generosity at the end of the retreat, which actually ties in to this whole thread. I have never seen a Lama refuse dana. Ever. Nor do I ever expect them to. It solidifies the tendrel between the teacher and student, etc. But when Rinpoche was publicly handed the large envelope filled with all of the students' dana offerings and a couple of chocolate bars, he excitedly removed the chocolate bars and handed the envelope back, saying, "I don't need this. I need this chocolate! But I don't need this money. Maybe use this to help build some more cabins." There weren't many dry eyes in the house.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:13 am 

JinpaRangdrol wrote:
Also, Rinpoche displayed an extremely touching act of generosity at the end of the retreat, which actually ties in to this whole thread. I have never seen a Lama refuse dana. Ever. Nor do I ever expect them to. It solidifies the tendrel between the teacher and student, etc. But when Rinpoche was publicly handed the large envelope filled with all of the students' dana offerings and a couple of chocolate bars, he excitedly removed the chocolate bars and handed the envelope back, saying, "I don't need this. I need this chocolate! But I don't need this money. Maybe use this to help build some more cabins." There weren't many dry eyes in the house.

you know, he does that all the time... he really doesn't give a sh*t about money. I remember one occasion where he took the money out of an envelope, gave the money back and said something like "I don't want that... but I keep this envelope 'cause I like it!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:35 am 
Former staff member

Bhusuku wrote:
you know, he does that all the time... he really doesn't give a sh*t about money. I remember one occasion where he took the money out of an envelope, gave the money back and said something like "I don't want that... but I keep this envelope 'cause I like it!"

:rolling:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:04 am 
Former staff member

Bhusuku wrote:
:applause:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:54 pm 

Bhusuku wrote:

I confirm that ChNN Rinpoche never takes the money. Moreover, himself and his family are the major donors for the activities of the different DC Gars and Lings all over the world.
Isn't he an extraordinary Master? :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:12 am 

yegyal wrote:
To be fair, Lama Tsultrim was only recognized as a Tulku of Machig something like 5 years ago (I don't remember exactly, so please correct me if I'm wrong), so it has very little to do with her status as a teacher. It's not like she was given a title and then started acting like a lama, but rather she spent her entire adult life pursuing the path and promoting the Tibetan yogini tradition, and then only recently was she "outed" as an emanation. So if you're going to judge her it should be based on her actions, not for some honor she never really asked for and couldn't refuse.

http://taramandala.org/article/lama-tsultrim-alliones-recognition/
http://taramandala.org/about/lama-tsultrim/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:36 am 

JinpaRangdrol wrote:

Namkhai Norbu did the same thing at a retreat I attended. He said put it back into the land, build more cabins, etc. just as you said. I don't even think he opened the envelope. I think he just said, "what is this? money?" and then handed it over to someone else. He was more excited about a package that he suspected might be a book and was having difficulty opening. I really love that guy. I don't think he really pays much attention to the money.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:48 am 

Dronma wrote:
Bhusuku wrote:

I confirm that ChNN Rinpoche never takes the money. Moreover, himself and his family are the major donors for the activities of the different DC Gars and Lings all over the world.

that is crystal clear ...

S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:33 am 

jbaumannmontilla wrote:
The discussion here is misinformed, slanderous, and abusive towards people who have devoted their lives to spreading the dharma. Thank you all for reminding me why I stopped following this board. Bye.

Sad to see this discussion depart from the OP into casual economics. (do you guys have moderators?)

Two great teachers coming together and it's about economics? She is hardly a "lucky lady", she is a force in her own right... so very dismissive to call her that. I'm delighted they are coming together, he was an early teacher for her. BTW, she also has taught Mandarava practice ... I learned it from her in the 90's.

I was on the land at Tara Mandala for 12 days in 2005 for a very special event. I moved heaven and earth to get there and helped cook for 300 in the outdoor kitchen long before any buildings so that I could attend. If you want to go, ask and be prepared to help. It's actually not so hard. I used to do it regularly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:37 am 

Dronma wrote:
Bhusuku wrote:

He is, but this with the money I have seen my own Guru do for decades. I am pretty sure many other Lamas also do it when they teach at their own centers.

/magnus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:26 am 

I have seen hhdl, hh karmapa and geshe sonam all refuse money offerings on several occasions. It does not mean that it is not touching, just that it is not unique, there are many lamas who do not have funds as their first priority.

and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin