The "most powerful" mantra.

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jonaz108

Re: The "most powerful" mantra.

Post by jonaz108 »

Jikan wrote:Hi John,

You read all the sutras on a daily basis? Do I understand you correctly? Are you doing all this on your own, or are you affiliated with a temple or a teacher?

The practice regime you describe for yourself is quite rigorous. Good for you.
Hi Jikan!

I don't have a Temple near where I live... =(
but I know the importance of association with the Sadhakas,
and the importance of the service to the teacher or Guru.
And I don't read ALL the sutras in 1 day! =)
I read Them on a daily basis, randomly.
Right now I am more focus on "understanding" the Shurangama Sutra.
On Sundays, I try to chant more, like 42 times the Mahakaruna Dharani,
2 times the long Shurangama etc...
I just try to do my best!

Greetings Jikan!
John
Since I live in Portugal, I can only answer to posts between 9:00 and 20:00 (0º UTC).
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

Will wrote:Yes, well done John. You did not mention practicing the ethical foundation of the Ten Virtues, so I assume you do so, or will do so. They are absolutely essential.

But if you really want to magnify your good karma or merit-making, take refuge in the Triple Jewel - preferably from a Mahayana master.
________________________________________________________________________________________
My obeisances Will,

Yes, I am trying to follow the precepts to the best of my ability. But I need to improve.
----------------
Will, when I chant "Namo Ratna Trayaya..." am I not addressing to the Triple Jewel?
---------------
Will, a few months ago I had a very mystic dream that caused me to start studying Buddhism:

I was in Tibet, Himalaya, I remember... very high altitude, in a Bhuddist Temple.
Inside the Temple, near the entrance, there were Sadhakas from all the traditions,
I remember to see cristians, vaishnavas, rabis, even reiki people, everything...
and of course a lot of bhuddist monks. I myself was dressed as a Vaishnava.
I understood that everybody was waiting for the arrival of an important personality,
I heard the word "Rinpoche" something... Suddenly, a very tall elder monk enters, very
magnanimous, everyone paid their obeisances head on the ground.
I was near the entrance, and as soon as he saw me, he rubbed his foot on my head (I was bowing down)
I stood up dizzy and began to feel ecstatic symptoms, I fell on the ground crying and almost
fainting from ecstasy.
I woke up with this blissful feeling and the word "Rinpoche" in my mind... That's it.
Any thought, Will?

Your servant,
John
Since I live in Portugal, I can only answer to posts between 9:00 and 20:00 (0º UTC).
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

jonaz108 wrote:
Will wrote:Yes, well done John. You did not mention practicing the ethical foundation of the Ten Virtues, so I assume you do so, or will do so. They are absolutely essential.

But if you really want to magnify your good karma or merit-making, take refuge in the Triple Jewel - preferably from a Mahayana master.
________________________________________________________________________________________
My obeisances Will,

Yes, I am trying to follow the precepts to the best of my ability. But I need to improve.
----------------
Will, when I chant "Namo Ratna Trayaya..." am I not addressing to the Triple Jewel?
---------------
Will, a few months ago I had a very mystic dream that caused me to start studying Buddhism:

I was in Tibet, Himalaya, I remember... very high altitude, in a Bhuddist Temple.
Inside the Temple, near the entrance, there were Sadhakas from all the traditions,
I remember to see cristians, vaishnavas, rabis, even reiki people, everything...
I understood that everybody was waiting for the arrival of an important personality,
I heard the word "Rinpoche" something... Suddenly, a very tall elder monk enters, very
I was near the entrance, and as soon as he saw me, he rubbed his foot on my head (I was bowing down)
I stood up dizzy and began to feel ecstatic symptoms, I fell on the ground crying and almost
fainting from ecstasy.
I woke up with this blissful feeling and the word "Rinpoche" in my mind... That's it.
Any thought, Will?

Your servant,
John
A good dream John. Yes continue your practices and soon perhaps you will find a Mahayana guru who will give you an outer Refuge in the Triratna which will complement your inner Refuge.

It may be better, in future, not to publicly share such special dreams or visions.

May the Arya Sangha bless you!
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

Will wrote:
jonaz108 wrote:

My obeisances Will,

----------------
---------------

fainting from ecstasy.
Any thought, Will?

Your servant,
John
A good dream John. Yes continue your practices and soon perhaps you will find a Mahayana guru who will give you an outer Refuge in the Triratna which will complement your inner Refuge.

It may be better, in future, not to publicly share such special dreams or visions.

May the Arya Sangha bless you!

Thank you for your kind words Will,
I will follow your advices.
Y. s.
John
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

John,

Your avatar is part of the Shurangama Mantra, so perhaps you are already familiar with Ven. Master Hsuan Hua, who taught and practiced it. Here is a little of what he taught about this mantra:

http://www.cttbusa.org/dharmatalks/shurangamamantra.asp

Also you will find threads here at Dharma Wheel about the mantra - if the Search function is fixed now.
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

Will wrote:John,

Your avatar is part of the Shurangama Mantra, so perhaps you are already familiar with Ven. Master Hsuan Hua, who taught and practiced it. Here is a little of what he taught about this mantra:

Also you will find threads here at Dharma Wheel about the mantra - if the Search function is fixed now.

Greetings my dear Will,

Yes, I have searched almost everything, online, about the Shurangama Sutra and Mantra,
it's been an amazing journey... I am reading V. Master Hsuan Hua.
------------------------
I chant the "Tadyata Om Anale Vishade.." long mantra,
but I chant the "Tadyata Om Anale Anale..." short mantra with the japa,
not sure why... Can you tell me why there is 2 version, please?
Y.s.
John
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

jonaz108 wrote:
Will wrote:John,

Greetings my dear Will,

Yes, I have searched almost everything, online, about the Shurangama Sutra and Mantra,
it's been an amazing journey... I am reading V. Master Hsuan Hua.
------------------------
I chant the "Tadyata Om Anale Vishade.." long mantra,
but I chant the "Tadyata Om Anale Anale..." short mantra with the japa,
not sure why... Can you tell me why there is 2 version, please?
Y.s.
John
Nope John - I have no idea.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Seishin wrote:So, even despite the fact he was chanting the mantra incorrectly, because he was doing it with such dedication, it didn't really matter.
:twothumbsup:
I love mantrayana, I even have my own mantra.

Chanting with intense but relaxed dedication will bring us to the Purelands, to the Dharma and to BuddhaHoodyness and beyond.

Migtsema mantra and Guru Rinpoche I like. Some for me do not at present resonate, for example Cundi and Vairocana. Amitabha I tend to listen to on a 'Buddha Machine' rather than recite.

Advanced practitioners often do the very basic mantras first taught. Reciter enables the power.
OM MANI PEME HUM

:namaste:
Last edited by Grigoris on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unverified personal "mantra"
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

lobster wrote:
Seishin wrote:So, even despite the fact he was chanting the mantra incorrectly, because he was doing it with such dedication, it didn't really matter.
:twothumbsup:
I love mantrayana, I even have my own mantra

Chanting with intense but relaxed dedication will bring us to the Purelands, to the Dharma and to BuddhaHoodyness and beyond.

Migtsema mantra and Guru Rinpoche I like. Some for me do not at present resonate, for example Cundi and Vairocana. Amitabha I tend to listen to on a 'Buddha Machine' rather than recite.

Advanced practitioners often do the very basic mantras first taught. Reciter enables the power.
OM MANI PEME HUM

:namaste:
Hi Lobster!
Thanks for your suggestion,

I used to chant 16 to 20 malas of 108 beds of the Avalokiteshvara Mantra
OM MANI PADME HUM, every day, before I changed to my actual Sadhana.
I still chant this mantra sometimes.

Namaste,
John
Last edited by Grigoris on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unverified personal "mantra"
lobster

Post by lobster »

OM MANI PADME HUM
Your spelling is closer to the Sanskrit, I tend to the softer Tibetan Lotus, 'Peme', sometimes with a 'hrih' at the end for a bit of oomph for emphasis.
You can do this as an elemental sadhana, very transformative
http://innerjourneytothewest.com/english/en-five.html
http://youtu.be/VYF-f6nYvaQ
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

Namaste,
Please help:
I am having some trouble pronouncing
the word "hrpat" in the 3rd section
of the Shurangama Mantra...
heartfelt thanks
John
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

jonaz108 wrote:Namaste,
Please help:
heartfelt thanks
John
I :heart: youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3tEEgf_Ruc
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

Ayu wrote:
Please help:
heartfelt thanks
John
I :heart: youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3tEEgf_Ruc
Thank you Ayu,
but it's a diferent version, no "hrpat" in this one...
Namaste,
John
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

:shrug: sorrey!!!

Maybe you'll browse around a little bit?
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

Ayu wrote::shrug: sorrey!!!

Maybe you'll browse around a little bit?
:coffee:

Thanks again :smile:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Please help:
heartfelt thanks
John
Perhaps this will help: http://archive.org/details/Shurangama
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

Will wrote:
Please help:
heartfelt thanks
John
Perhaps this will help: http://archive.org/details/Shurangama
Thank you very much Will,
Namaste,
John
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

"Reciting this heart-essence mantra once,
its merits are equal to reciting the
Vajra-cutter Diamond sutra 90 million times"

NAMO BHAGAVATE PRAJNA PARAMITAYE
OM NATAD TITA
ILISHI ILISHI
MILISHI MILISHI
BHINAYAN BHINAYAN
NAMO BHAGAVATE PRADTYAM PRATI
IRITI IRITI
MIRITI MIRITI
SHURITI SHURITI
USHURI USHURI
BHUYUYE BHUYUYE SOHA

This one is something...
Try to chant a 108 beads mala of this mantra every day.

Sincerely,
John
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Well, the Vajra Armor mantra is a quintessential powerful mantra -- but it is rare to be able to get the transmission for it and can not be done without transmission. It is also one not to be published publicly or pronounced audibly beyond ones own immediate collar. So please, no one that might know it should post it or share it.

Lama Dawa Chhodak offers retreats guided by him on this mantra : http://www.lamadawa.com/vajra-armor.html
The Vajra Armor Mantra is not only a powerful healing method, but a profound path to illumination, ultimately leading to the attainment of the rainbow body. It is one of the few paths, along with P’howa, that do not require the Ngondro (the 500,000 accumulations) as a prerequisite to practice. It is a path in its own right, with many levels and degrees of mastery. As one traverses the path, through a series of short retreats and ongoing practice, one systematically purifies the five elements within one’s own body and thus attains the ability to purify the elemental imbalances in another. In this way, diseases are removed. With further training, the practitioner cuts through the five poisons of anger, desire, ignorance, jealousy and pride, and in turn attains the ability to work directly with the elemental essences in the environment. Thus, one is able to control the weather patterns, increase prosperity, subjugate harmful influences and restore peace and harmony. In advanced stages of training, one gains control over the eight classes of spirits that live under, within and above the earth, thus preventing the rise and spread of contagious disease, natural disasters, and poverty. In the final stages of practice, the three poisons are transformed into the three kayas, and the five poisons become the five wisdoms. thus the very elemental essences of one’s body are transmuted into the five wisdom lights, and one’s own body is transformed into the ‘rainbow body.’
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
jonaz108

Post by jonaz108 »

Adamantine wrote:Well, the Vajra Armor mantra is a quintessential powerful mantra -- but it is rare to be able to get the transmission for it and can not be done without transmission. It is also one not to be published publicly or pronounced audibly beyond ones own immediate collar. So please, no one that might know it should post it or share it.

Lama Dawa Chhodak offers retreats guided by him on this mantra : http://www.lamadawa.com/vajra-armor.html
The Vajra Armor Mantra is not only a powerful healing method, but a profound path to illumination, ultimately leading to the attainment of the rainbow body. It is one of the few paths, along with P’howa, that do not require the Ngondro (the 500,000 accumulations) as a prerequisite to practice. It is a path in its own right, with many levels and degrees of mastery. As one traverses the path, through a series of short retreats and ongoing practice, one systematically purifies the five elements within one’s own body and thus attains the ability to purify the elemental imbalances in another. In this way, diseases are removed. With further training, the practitioner cuts through the five poisons of anger, desire, ignorance, jealousy and pride, and in turn attains the ability to work directly with the elemental essences in the environment. Thus, one is able to control the weather patterns, increase prosperity, subjugate harmful influences and restore peace and harmony. In advanced stages of training, one gains control over the eight classes of spirits that live under, within and above the earth, thus preventing the rise and spread of contagious disease, natural disasters, and poverty. In the final stages of practice, the three poisons are transformed into the three kayas, and the five poisons become the five wisdoms. thus the very elemental essences of one’s body are transmuted into the five wisdom lights, and one’s own body is transformed into the ‘rainbow body.’
So sorry...
How can I remove it?
Namaste,
John

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”