patterns

Anything goes (almost).

patterns

Postby greentara » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:16 am

People in the audience didn't make an independent choice about how good the talk was and then clap an appropriate number of times," Mr Mann said
"Instead, they responded very predictably to the social pressure around them, which we believe they felt through the volume of clapping in the room." As more people started clapping, each individual who hadn't started felt more pressure to join in, the statistics showed.
"Likewise, once people began to stop clapping there was increasing pressure for everyone to stop."
Mr Mann said the results showed that group behaviour was reflected in patterns, and this knowledge had a range of uses.
In season influenza has a pattern, is there also a mass pattern in our thinking?

Do we have a herd mentality? Can politicians and ad men exploit us and predict patterns in society for control and financial gain?
The answer is most probably yes!
greentara

Re: patterns

Postby Nilasarasvati » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:52 am

Do we have a herd mentality? Can politicians and ad men exploit us and predict patterns in society for control and financial gain?
The answer is most probably yes!

Beyond whatever research you're talking about, which it'd be great if you could include a link to,

This one is a diamond:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

Although not directly related to the pressures of a crowd so much as authority figures, this is the ultimate classic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

As much as we all have this optimism bias that we would be the exception, the studies show we're all pretty much broken down eventually under a certain amount of pressure. :/

This is why we must accumulate good karma to have the relative circumstances to realize. If you put me in prison today, I'd stop being even a mediocre aspirant Bodhisattva in about three hours. :crying:
Nilasarasvati

Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Re: patterns

Postby Ayu » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:50 am

Recently i could observe this group-phenomenon in a small German Forum. One Moderator caused a stir and 90% of the active members left the forum with him to another site where HE can be Admin on his own...
If looked at it from outside, with a sceptical mind, such movement is unbelievable. There is much energy in such a thing.

I don't think, you would forget your Bodhisattvavows too fast, Nilasarasvati. The one who wants to take grip of a person to manipulate must push the right buttons, otherwise he will not succeed.
The Buddhist Buttons are things like "I know more about dharma then you, and if you don't follow me, you will never reach your goal." This is effective.
But fortunately there are certain features a good teacher must have. To have them in mind can be a rescue against the wrong way.
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Return to Lounge