Lamas who never (or almost never) give empowerments

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
conebeckham

Re: Lamas who never (or almost never) give empowerments

Post by conebeckham »

Luke-

I think you practice in the Karma Kagyu lineage, right?

I would see if you can ask your teacher if you can obtain instructions in the common preliminaries, and perhaps the Refuge/prostrations part.....from anyone your teacher feels qualified to dispense those instructions. You don't need an empowerment for those, and I guarantee you that would keep you busy until you have a chance or opportunity to obtain empowerment.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Luke

Post by Luke »

conebeckham wrote:Luke-

I think you practice in the Karma Kagyu lineage, right?

I would see if you can ask your teacher if you can obtain instructions in the common preliminaries, and perhaps the Refuge/prostrations part.....from anyone your teacher feels qualified to dispense those instructions. You don't need an empowerment for those, and I guarantee you that would keep you busy until you have a chance or opportunity to obtain empowerment.
Thanks for the helpful suggestions, Conebeckham, but I am already in the process of resolving the problem.

I'll see a Nyingma lama in a few months and I'll see if I can get permission to begin Ngondro from him.

OM AH HUNG BENZA GURU PEMA SIDDHI HUNG
Last edited by Luke on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Excellent!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Pero

Post by Pero »

Luke wrote: I'll see a Nyingma lama in a few months and I'll see if I can get permission to begin Ngondro for him.
This could be either a good way or a bad way to look at it, depending on how you're looking at it. Hehe. :smile:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Luke

Post by Luke »

Pero wrote:
Luke wrote: I'll see a Nyingma lama in a few months and I'll see if I can get permission to begin Ngondro for him.
This could be either a good way or a bad way to look at it, depending on how you're looking at it. Hehe. :smile:
I've been quite tired lately, so that was just a typo.

"for" --> "from"
Pero

Post by Pero »

Luke wrote: I've been quite tired lately, so that was just a typo.

"for" --> "from"

:smile:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”