Lapis Lazuli Texts

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

Lapis Lazuli Texts

Postby Will » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:05 pm

A newly discovered site that is putting out lesser known shastras & sutras from the Chinese. Cannot speak to the quality of the translation; maybe Indrajala or Ven. Huifeng can appraise them.

http://www.lapislazulitexts.com/
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Re: Lapis Lazuli Texts

Postby kirtu » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Will wrote:A newly discovered site that is putting out lesser known shastras & sutras from the Chinese. Cannot speak to the quality of the translation; maybe Indrajala or Ven. Huifeng can appraise them.

I hope this will be a good contribution.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby cdpatton » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Will wrote:A newly discovered site that is putting out lesser known shastras & sutras from the Chinese. Cannot speak to the quality of the translation; maybe Indrajala or Ven. Huifeng can appraise them.

The presentation is good, and it is good to see public domain translations! I compared the first couple paragraphs of their translation of the Mahāprajñāpāramitā Mañjuśrīparivarta Sūtra and it is not as close to the original as I would to be, but there was nothing that was really misleading. Just some details glossed over, some little grammatical points, added phrases that were elsewhere.

For example, the closing line of the third paragraph (The Buddha told Mañjuśrī, “If one is able to perceive the Tathāgata thusly, with the mind not grasping, then the mind has nothing added nor removed.”) should read something more like: "... the mind having nothing to grasp and also nothing to not grasp, then it neither accumulates nor does it not accumulate." That sort of thing.

Charlie.
cdpatton

Postby Will » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks Charlie - take a look at the Sanzang thread over at Language and tell me if you are familiar with Sanzang.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Huifeng » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:21 am

Thanks for the link, Will.

Just skimming a little, it seems quite a nice site. The basic translations seem okay. I don't have the time to line-by-line examine it, though. They've picked some texts that have already been done before, often many times. So, they shouldn't be too challenging. There are a couple that are more exacting, though. But, overall, very nice effort. And great that they can put it out on the 'net, for general access! :twothumbsup:

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Return to Sūtra Studies