YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Meditating with noise - Dhamma Wheel

Meditating with noise

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Ervin

Meditating with noise

Postby Ervin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:17 am

Can you meditate sucsesfully with noise around you. Like with your neighbour playing music or with some other noise? Can you get the same benefits as meditating without noise?

Thanks

Nāgasena

Re: Meditating with noise

Postby Nāgasena » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:31 am

Noise exists. I say work with, don't get in its way.

Zom

Postby Zom » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:06 am

No. Such meditation won't be successful.

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:24 am

David2

Postby David2 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:29 am

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:44 am

Alobha

Postby Alobha » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:04 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:46 am

there is nowhere that there is no noise!
you can work with its presence or you can fight against it, personally I would suggest working with it.

there is a long tradition of meditating with sound, one could simply treat it like any object of the six senses, and let go of the reaction to it.
or one could use it to look at reaction, or both.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Cal

Postby Cal » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:00 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:23 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

JustThis

Postby JustThis » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:22 pm

For the most part I prefer not only no noise but also extreme quiet. I realized several years while on an individual retreat that, for me, the most powerful aspect of retreat was deep silence. I feel that my practice at home went to a new level when I started to recreate the silence that I was immersed in while on retreat. To accomplish this I started to use 'noise protection' or isolation headphones that are meant to protect hearing from workplace noise. I also carry ear plugs in my truck and keep a set at work for those occasions when I have the time to practice. I realize that the party line on noise and sound in general is to make it part of the meditation but I think that for most of us who practice at home concentration is what is lacking and to this end isolating oneself from all sound is of great benefit.

jabalí

Postby jabalí » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:45 pm

contemplans

Postby contemplans » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:12 pm

I would say, how obtrusive is the noise? If this is your only place/opportunity to sit, then just work with it. If there is a better/quieter spot or time, then meditate then. I wake up at 4:30 in the morning to meditate, and I can hear dogs barking, my kid moving hither and thither in his bed, sometimes coughing, and sometimes cars going by. No big deal, but they are there. If you've finding that you can't get even to the point of quieting the mind, then I'd find a quieter situation to get that established. Once you can get quiet and achieve some stability there, it isn't a big deal to be in situations with noise. Sound is not an impediment to jhana. Getting knocked off you object is an impediment, but sounds can easily be registered as "off in the distance" when in jhana. You won't even be paying attention to them. I find the sounds in my mind to be more of a problem.

bodom

Postby bodom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:33 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

contemplans

Postby contemplans » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:24 pm

Bodom, in the context of my reply, I am making it clear that sound is not to be sought out, but worked with if quiet is impossible. "If you've finding that you can't get even to the point of quieting the mind, then I'd find a quieter situation to get that established." A better translation for sadda here is noise.

lutysouie

Postby lutysouie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:12 pm

I live in a boarding school, surrounded by excited teenagers, running up and down and shouting all day long so I know what you mean by meditating with noise and don't be afraid of that, the mind can get used to everything. At the beginning I meditated ON the sound, seeing that it is just what it is and that if I accept it, don't try to fight against, then everything is ok, sound by itself is neutral, I am the only one who can decide if it's annoying or not. Now I don't really notice it anymore. In fact it's nearly the contrary, now that's when everything is silent that I have the feeling that something is missing !

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”