Greetings

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.

Greetings

Postby Wu Wei » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Hello, there are those that call me Tim

I'm more of a seeker here, I have been looking at Buddhism for a long time, mostly Chan/Zen and I have not every been really looked into Tibetan Buddhism.

I have read a few books by the Dalai Lama several years ago and it never really appealed to me and at times I have not agreed at all. However I recently read "Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World" by H.H. Dalai Lama and at every point I started getting that old feeling of not agreeing he went on and explained his position and I found myself agreeing completely in most cases.

It is enough to get me to go back an reread those books and look more at Tibetan Buddhism
Wu Wei

Re: Greetings

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Welcome Tim/Wu Wei!

I hope that we will be able to clarify some of the points that may be leading to your misunderstanding.
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Nilasarasvati » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Welcome, Oh Tim!

:sage:
Nilasarasvati

Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Postby Punya » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi Wu Wei and welcome. :smile: I went through a similar process when I started out too.
Unless the inner forces of negative emotions are conquered
Strife with outer enemies will never end.
~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Punya

Postby mandala » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:00 am

Hi Tim,

Welcome! Re-reading dharma books can be like reading them for the first time - always a new surprise!
mandala

Postby Wu Wei » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:35 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:Welcome Tim/Wu Wei!

I hope that we will be able to clarify some of the points that may be leading to your misunderstanding.

Thank you.
When I run into them I am sure I will post them

Nilasarasvati wrote:Welcome, Oh Tim!

:sage:

Thank you
Tim the Enchanter (Sorry, I think I may have watched to much M0nty Python)

Punya wrote:Hi Wu Wei and welcome. :smile: I went through a similar process when I started out too.

Good to hear, at least I know it is not just me :)

Thank you

mandala wrote:Hi Tim,

Welcome! Re-reading dharma books can be like reading them for the first time - always a new surprise!

Thank You

I have run into this with other books and I look forward to running into it again with these. What is amazing me is that when I sat them down I was certain I would never pick them up again because I was very much in disagreement with them. What that disagreement was I can no longer remember but I will be rereading them
Wu Wei

Postby Nilasarasvati » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:40 pm

The first time I read Word of My Perfect Teacher I was furious for pages and pages. So offended and put off. :tantrum:

The next time I was rapt and engrossed--this had become so much more complex and interesting. :reading:

The next time I was overwhelmed with feelings of awe and devotion, and how profound it all was. :crying:

My teacher said that first read is actually the most beneficial. All kinds of karma is being purified. You may not believe in all this stuff, but it makes a lot of sense when you experience it :P
Nilasarasvati

Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Postby Wu Wei » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:05 am

Nilasarasvati wrote:The first time I read Word of My Perfect Teacher I was furious for pages and pages. So offended and put off. :tantrum:

The next time I was rapt and engrossed--this had become so much more complex and interesting. :reading:

The next time I was overwhelmed with feelings of awe and devotion, and how profound it all was. :crying:

My teacher said that first read is actually the most beneficial. All kinds of karma is being purified. You may not believe in all this stuff, but it makes a lot of sense when you experience it :P

Actually I do not doubt that at all...not sure if it is or is not karma...but I do believe it happens
Wu Wei

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby lobster » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:31 am

Nilasarasvati wrote:The first time I read Word of My Perfect Teacher I was furious for pages and pages. So offended and put off. :tantrum:

:woohoo:
I knew a good book was worth reading at least 25 times over the years.
. . . now where is my suggested reading list . . . :smile:
:anjali: Hi
lobster

Return to Introductions