Looking for Dzogchen teacher in Sikkim India

michaelb

Re: Looking for Dzogchen teacher in Sikkim India

Post by michaelb »

JonathanB wrote:Tso Pema was where I was first thinking a few months ago. It seemed like there would be long established monasteries considering Guru Rinpoche was from there.
Not from there but yes, there are a few monasteries there of Nyingma (Dudjom Tersar), Drukpa and Drikung Kagyu traditions. (they aren't actually that old, all being established (at least in their current form) after the Tibetan diaspora). There is also a retreat area up on the hills near the main Guru Rinpoche cave with lots of serious practitioners in caves, mainly Nyingma, with a Nyingma ani gompa too.
Ontrul Rinpoche is probably the your best bet there (if he isn't travelling), given that he lives there. He leads a Yangzab Dzogchen programme for western students, I think. But there are other lamas that come and go. Whilst I was in the area a Nyingma lama gave Nyingthig Yabshi empowerments and Yeshe Lama instructions.

It's a really great place to practice, but not necessarily always good for teachings, but every where is hit and miss in that regard as lamas tend to move about. If you could work out exactly when you are going and what lamas you want to see you could always email their monasteries to find out if they will be around at that time. It would be a shame to go all the way to India to see a lama only to find they are travelling to teach at your home town the same time you are there.

One reason I recommended Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche, et al. is because Ka Nying Shedrup Ling posts teachings on-line and you can remain in touch when you come back home. It would also be a shame to establish a profound connection only to have to leave and never see them again.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

JonathanB wrote:Tso Pema was where I was first thinking a few months ago. It seemed like there would be long established monasteries considering Guru Rinpoche was from there.
Yes, go there. And then find Lama Wangdor. He is the real deal Dzogchen master and teaches it straight. You can try to contact Lena here to make sure he will be in Tso Pema, rarely he travels. . http://www.customjuju.com/wangdorrimpoche/index.htm

Really, one of the best spots to just settle in. .
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
vajraheart

Post by vajraheart »

Adamantine wrote:
Yes, go there. And then find Lama Wangdor. He is the real deal Dzogchen master and teaches it straight. You can try to contact Lena here to make sure he will be in Tso Pema, rarely he travels. . http://www.customjuju.com/wangdorrimpoche/index.htm

Really, one of the best spots to just settle in. .
But keep it quiet. we don't want Tso Pema turning into another Dharamsala ;)
Rroman

Post by Rroman »

I'm in Tso pema right now. There are no teachings going on here...at all. Lama wangdor is here in retreat, but sees people at noon. Though you need a translator. Lama Lena is not here to translate. Ontul Rinpoche is here though. I guess you could ask him some questions....
It is a wonderful place to do retreat
Rroman

Post by Rroman »

I just read the rest of the post.....sorry.

Bir is nice. I'm not sure when you'll be there but DKR is rumored.....rumored, to be back there in October. As for Orygen Tobgyal Rinpoche. He will be out of the area in August. But he really doesn't teach much. Neten chokling Rinpoche is there now but not sure how he teaches, if he teaches.

Good luck

Return to “Dzogchen”