The Prophesy of Ajitasena

This is a space for inquiries about various languages, translations, or anything else related to language.

The Prophesy of Ajitasena

Postby Zhen Li » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:44 am

Whatever benefit one may gleam from it, about a month ago I completed a rather rough translation of the Ajitasena Vyakarana. Here it is, I tried to polish it and make it look professional, but it should be advised that the translations of the Gathas are likely not professional quality.

More or less, the value would be in having an English version of the Sutra, however poor it may be. You can learn a lot from the sutra however, and as far as I can tell, it has many layers of meaning. The rest of what I could say is found in the introduction.

Enjoy :anjali:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/147777109/Aji ... E1%B9%87am
Zhen Li

Re: The Prophesy of Ajitasena

Postby PorkChop » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Sweet!
Thanks, look forward to checking it out.
PorkChop

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Just had a quick gander, EXCELLENT WORK Ben! :bow: Well done!
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Zhen Li » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:41 am

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I am afraid I shall remove it to do some more editing. My skills as a translator are meagre at best.
Zhen Li

Postby Huifeng » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:39 am

Eagerly awaiting a more polished version.

~~ Huifeng
Huifeng

Postby Zhen Li » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:27 pm

I'd like to make what I have translated available at least, since I do believe merit can be accumulated from these - otherwise one wouldn't be able to access them at all.

So, I shall from hence upload my translations on the link in my signature. But just be advised that they may not be perfect - everything can be criticised in this world, but I think that looking beyond that to the benefit you may accrue from reading these texts, even in a poor form, is worthwhile.

Sure, the old Sacred Books of the East translations were poor quality compared to today's, but someone was willing to take that first step and allow some people to arouse interest in the Dharma, or accumulate some merits from reading them, at a least a little bit. Edward Conze's translations may not be perfect when re-examined, but he did translate a massive amount, and was the only person willing to do so. Moreover, his texts, and I believe mine, are at least more than half correct, and can be used as some reference at least.

So, having thought it over, I shall make my translations available, regardless.
:anjali:
Zhen Li

Return to Language