YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

"Original Mind" and the atta - Dhamma Wheel

"Original Mind" and the atta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Coyote

"Original Mind" and the atta

Postby Coyote » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 pm

I am currently reading a collection of Ajahn Chah's talks; "Food for the Heart". Whilst it has been very helpful and inspiring I have noticed his use of a concept he calls the "original mind"- I am sure many of you are aware, but he says that this "original mind" is pure awareness, and is intrinsically pure and undefiled. The mind is only defiled because it gets lost in sense pleasure, but on it's own, it is pure.
It may just be the way I am reading it, but it seems that when he equates this state of consciousness with the Arahants mind he seems to be suggesting that some kind of self/consciousness exists after paranibbana, but wouldn't any kind of consciousness or mind be gone at paranibbana because it is nibbana "without-remainder"? Or is this original mind a metaphor for the Arahant in paranibbana, something that we cannot understand directly? A "mind" without consiousness in the sense that the Arahant is untouched by any of the 5 Khandhas?

Unfortunately I don't know whether I can find this book online to post some of the passages I am talking about.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

Cal

Re: "Original Mind" and the atta

Postby Cal » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:31 pm

I can't help with your query, but think this might be the book you're looking for :-

http://forestsanghapublications.org/vie ... =3&ref=deb

Forest sangha have helpfully started making many of their books, previoulsy only obtainable from the monasteries, available in eBook formats. :namaste:

Best wishes
Cal

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:24 pm

IanAnd

Postby IanAnd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:04 pm

"The knowing that arises is above and beyond
the process of thinking.
It leads to not being fooled
by thinking any more." — Ajahn Chah

Understanding this statement is at the root of realization.

It is also a knowing that cannot be adequately communicated in words or the expression of concepts and ideas to someone who is still in doubt or ruled by an unruly mind that refuses to recognize or to confirm what is based on direct experience. This kind of knowing surpasses (goes beyond) all argumentation.

Good find, Geoff. :thumbsup:
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:33 pm

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

ground

Postby ground » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:16 am

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:55 pm

"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”