Uncertain steps...

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Monsoon

Re: Uncertain steps...

Postby Monsoon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Let peace reign!

Metta,

Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Postby Nilasarasvati » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:35 am

Monsoon

Postby Monsoon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:35 am

Let peace reign!

Metta,

Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Postby Nilasarasvati » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:44 am

Ooh! About the statues---they are HARD to come by. You will see them in Asian shops and bazaars but usually they are pretty shitty for lack of a better word. Lumpy mold-pressed things. The Ebay key words you want are these: Blanc-de-Chine or Dehua porcelain. It's usually stupidly expensive, I admit. I would say--pay for a nice print to be made of your favorite and then matte it on some nice gold or black or whatever color paper.

Monsoon

Postby Monsoon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:25 am

Nice idea about the picture. With statues I prefer the naturalness of wood over porcelain - just a preference. The annoying thing is that I should have got one on my last visit to China. The cost on the ground (as it were) is completely different to the ebay prices for the exact same items. And you get killed by the postage. I could have gotten a 20 inch high carving for under US$100 and brought it back for free. Damn! Next time perhaps.

Actually ebay really hacks me off sometimes, particularly with the blatantly obvious price gouging that some sellers get away with. I had one offer (if I recall it was $85) that got beaten at the last minute by a dollar. When it came up again the next day, same statue same seller same price, I wrote to them and suggested a private deal at the winning price, but they insisted on going through the whole auction process again. I withdrew from the auction. I don't believe they ever sell them quite frankly, and just because they want to squeeze the extra dollar.

In the meantime I will pick an image that appeals and frame it up nicely.

The YouTube video I sing along to is this one:

Not exactly traditional chanting but wonderful nonetheless. My voice doesn't reach those keys so I sing it about an octave lower. At first I was truly terrible, now I am merely awful! :rolling:

I believe the statue is in Japan (got to go on the bucket list I think!)... ah it's Isn't that an amazing sight!

Next time I get to travel to China I will be making a visit to Putuoshan. :smile:
Let peace reign!

Metta,

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”