Dealing With Desire

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Malcolm

Re: Dealing With Desire

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:12 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Free of hope and fear, relax.
Human life spent in
a state of great spaciousness is enjoyable.

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:41 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Human life spent in

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:46 pm

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:49 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Human life spent in

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

5heaps

Postby 5heaps » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:02 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Human life spent in

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:23 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Human life spent in

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

Karma Dorje

Postby Karma Dorje » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:25 pm

"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Ever practice martial arts? Sometimes all you have to do is step out of the way of the attack, other times you directly counter the attack and other times it requires a combination of both. It depends on the strength, speed, method of attack, etc... of the foe.

The positions we are describing are not antagonistic/exclusive, they are complementary.

I thoroughly recommend checking out Mahamudra - The Ocean of True Meaning (if you have not already received instructions on the text).
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:40 pm

DGA
Former staff member

Postby DGA » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm enjoying this conversation as it pertains to the viability of traditional monastic culture and institutions globally. I'd like to shift the emphasis a bit back to the immediate question of desire. Let's say, hypothetically, that a student of Dharma is experiencing very strong desire or attachment or undiluted sexual desire. How ought that student to be advised in terms of practice? What are some different ways in which a serious student of Dharma might work with desire in practical terms?

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:25 pm

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Human life spent in

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

Pero

Postby Pero » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:29 pm

I agree with Jikan..i'm learning alot by watching you guys go at it, but i'd actually like to hear a bit about the nuts and bolts, everyday reality of transformation vs. renunciation from the experts.

I do my Sadhana practice, and of course talk to my teacher...but I wonder if it can be talked about a bit more here, one can learn about pure vision, do deity yoga and all and still struggle with (for instance) an over abundance of sexual desire, and since i'm nowhere near HYT that really is not so much an option.

I know some of the official answers on transformation of desire, or i'm at least familiar with the basics...still though, occasionally I feel that with the standard Vajrayana answer I am at loss as to what to do when I can't stop thinking about certain things, in a practical, day to day sense.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 pm

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Yes, I think in terms of numbers Catholics may be slightly bigger. It is a geographic region thing. The North is more heavily Protestant, South Catholic, and I am in the central part of the country, but in the towns I see more Protestant than Catholic churches (most of which are not so well attended).

I hope things change, I really do. It hurts me to have to discourage people from ordination because it can be such a rewarding life, but when there are no conditions for people to maintain their vows and aspirations it feels irresponsible to say ordain and think about the details later.

I don't see Westerners ever really "getting" ordination, people who come to Buddhist centres want to be professional, knowledgeable practitioners themselves. They don't usually want to fork out the money for someone else to train in-depth, whereas with Asians this comes naturally.

As for Mahasiddhas, I have yet to even meet a Westerner who I think meets the criteria of a lama in the full sense of the word. Mahasiddhas are so evolved as to be beyond ordination anyways, but true ones are rare and pretenders many. The Mahasiddha paradigm is sometimes said to be something "more doable" for Westerners than monastic life- but a Mahasiddha is a very lofty personality. In fact, ordinary beings have a better chance at success with monastic ordination IMO, but as I mentioned above there are no really good conditions for that at the present time.

I try not to get discouraged but I don't see the dharma being really well rooted in the West anytime soon.

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:26 pm

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:44 am

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Human life spent in

— Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

Rakz

Postby Rakz » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:38 am

Malcolm, drinking wine is a violation of a basic Buddhist precept. Can one intentionally also break the other four and still able to gain some type of enlightenment in Vajrayana?

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”