YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

What and how much? - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

What and how much?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Brizzy

Re: What and how much?

Postby Brizzy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:34 am

Ignorance is an intentional act.

chownah

Postby chownah » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:33 am

There is almost no reference to paccakabuddhas in the Suttas....almost everything you will find wil be commentarial and frankly for me alot of it seems mythological. While I do think that some people attain enlighltenment without hearing about the Buddha's teachings I don't think that the Buddha had much to say about them and I think the commentaries are mostly confusing and off the mark.....but this is just my view....
chownah

P.S. Here's a link to an essay that deals with paccakabuddhahood pretty well I think:
The Paccekabuddha: A Buddhist Ascetic
A Study of the Concept of the Paccekabuddha in Pali Canonical and Commentarial Literature
by
Ria Kloppenborg
Buddhist Publication Society
Kandy• Sri Lanka

http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh305.pdf

You can check to see if what I posted is correct of not.....sometimes my memory isn't so good and I get things wrong.
chownah

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:40 am

Time to return to topic, please!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

nameless

Postby nameless » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:08 am

I think questions of what we 'need' can't be addressed by bringing up the exceptional people. Of course there will in any field be exceptional people who succeed at their task without 'needing' what many others do, but they are the exception not the norm, and most of us, by definition, are the norm.

As a normal person, I think what I need to know is the eightfold path. As to the level of detail, I think knowledge of what each factor is, and how/why it leads to the end of suffering is needed. At a personal level I found mindfulness, concentration and effort hard to understand so I felt I needed to find out more, other people probably would have other difficulties and solutions.

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:49 am

“If you don’t know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.” ~ Yogi Berra

ignobleone

Postby ignobleone » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:07 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”