bit of confusion - 5 colors

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Former staff member
Posts: 5851
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

bit of confusion - 5 colors

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Got a practice for five colors/5 dhyani Buddhas..it seems like some places the colors for Vairocana/Buddha family and Akshobya/Vajra family are reversed from my notes.

Is there some variance or did I just write stuff down wrong? I think I have seen them reversed also different places on the web.
May the eyes of living beings be gladdened by skies made splendid by clouds
that lightnings garland, while on earth below, the peacocks dance with joy as
showers of rain, falling gently, approach.

-The Door Of Happiness

Knotty Veneer
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: bit of confusion - 5 colors

Postby Knotty Veneer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:53 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Got a practice for five colors/5 dhyani Buddhas..it seems like some places the colors for Vairocana/Buddha family and Akshobya/Vajra family are reversed from my notes.

Is there some variance or did I just write stuff down wrong? I think I have seen them reversed also different places on the web.


Vairocana is usually white and Akshobya blue. Never heard of other colors for these - what tradition is the practice from?
Everyone talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it - Mark Twain.

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Former staff member
Posts: 5851
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: bit of confusion - 5 colors

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Knotty Veneer wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Got a practice for five colors/5 dhyani Buddhas..it seems like some places the colors for Vairocana/Buddha family and Akshobya/Vajra family are reversed from my notes.

Is there some variance or did I just write stuff down wrong? I think I have seen them reversed also different places on the web.


Vairocana is usually white and Akshobya blue. Never heard of other colors for these - what tradition is the practice from?


Sakya.

That is how the practice was, Vairocana white and Akshobya blue, but we didn't spend alot of time talking about the atrributes of each Buddha, posion, etc. so I wanted a quick reference and now i'm just looking up stuff on the web and finding ones where Vajra and Buddha families are reversed...and course I want to do it as intended heh. I think I have it right, was just wondering why some are reversed.

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/05/ ... a-v-lewis/
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... AQ&dur=317
May the eyes of living beings be gladdened by skies made splendid by clouds
that lightnings garland, while on earth below, the peacocks dance with joy as
showers of rain, falling gently, approach.

-The Door Of Happiness

michaelb
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Re: bit of confusion - 5 colors

Postby michaelb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 pm

I think, as tantra developed and the Vajra family became more important, Akshobya or other vajra family heruka went to the centre of the mandala and became white. I'm sure this is how Snellgrove explained it, anyway. I think he also says Vajrayana only became a term for secret mantra once the vajra family became dominant. Vairochana is only really dominant in the lower tantras, if I remember rightly.

User avatar
Konchog1
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 am

Re: bit of confusion - 5 colors

Postby Konchog1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:57 pm

michaelb wrote:I think, as tantra developed and the Vajra family became more important, Akshobya or other vajra family heruka went to the centre of the mandala and became white. I'm sure this is how Snellgrove explained it, anyway. I think he also says Vajrayana only became a term for secret mantra once the vajra family became dominant. Vairochana is only really dominant in the lower tantras, if I remember rightly.
Hmm, but generally Vairochana is white and Akshobya is blue. Including in HYT. So while those links might be correct, Johnny's notes are correct too.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats

User avatar
heart
Posts: 3532
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: bit of confusion - 5 colors

Postby heart » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:49 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Got a practice for five colors/5 dhyani Buddhas..it seems like some places the colors for Vairocana/Buddha family and Akshobya/Vajra family are reversed from my notes.

Is there some variance or did I just write stuff down wrong? I think I have seen them reversed also different places on the web.


Yes, the white and the blue can change place, it is quite common.

/magnus
We are all here to help each other go through this, whatever it is.
~Kurt Vonnegut

"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa

"Even though you have recognized your essence, if you do not get accustomed to it,
You will be carried away by the enemy of thoughts, like a small child in a battle field.
So long as you are not free from the limitations of accepting and rejecting,
That long will you not recognize the view of the innermost secret heart-essence."

-Longchenpa

User avatar
Lingpupa
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:13 am

Re: bit of confusion - 5 colors

Postby Lingpupa » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:13 am

heart wrote:Yes, the white and the blue can change place, it is quite common.

/magnus

Quite true. And I believe that in some cycles, whereas yellow Ratnasambhava has a yellow light (and red+red, green+green), Akshobhya and Vairocana can be blue radiating white light and white radiating blue light.

So they can vary, it's not that you got it wrong. It's therefore very important to check exactly what is in the teaching you have been given. Go back to the source if necessary.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Benchen and Back digital edition now on Amazon - see http://tinyurl.com/78rdcoy

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 19962
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: bit of confusion - 5 colors

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:54 pm

"Vairocana is not just the color blue, Vajrasattva is not just the color white in that sequence, but Vairocana arises with all five colors; blue, white, red, yellow, and green."

-- Vajrasattva's Heart Mirror Tantra
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


So called “sentient beings” are merely delusions self-appearing from the dhātu of luminosity.

-- Ju Mipham

User avatar
heart
Posts: 3532
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: bit of confusion - 5 colors

Postby heart » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Malcolm wrote:"Vairocana is not just the color blue, Vajrasattva is not just the color white in that sequence, but Vairocana arises with all five colors; blue, white, red, yellow, and green."

-- Vajrasattva's Heart Mirror Tantra


Nice to see you Malcolm, good quote. :smile:

/magnus
We are all here to help each other go through this, whatever it is.
~Kurt Vonnegut

"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa

"Even though you have recognized your essence, if you do not get accustomed to it,
You will be carried away by the enemy of thoughts, like a small child in a battle field.
So long as you are not free from the limitations of accepting and rejecting,
That long will you not recognize the view of the innermost secret heart-essence."

-Longchenpa

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Former staff member
Posts: 5851
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: bit of confusion - 5 colors

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Well, thanks all, I know how to do the practice as I received it now, which I guess is the important thing. Interesting to know some possible historical reasons behind the switch too though.
May the eyes of living beings be gladdened by skies made splendid by clouds
that lightnings garland, while on earth below, the peacocks dance with joy as
showers of rain, falling gently, approach.

-The Door Of Happiness


Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cky, conebeckham, maybay, Miroku, MSNbot Media, Nyedrag Yeshe, ratna and 66 guests