All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Amusing DJKR story
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:11 pm 

from
http://janineschulz.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/tirelessness-2/:
Quote:
One day, a gaggle of monks and perhaps even a khenpo or two turned up for some kind of transmission. Rinpoche’s secretary, Elise, thought it would take about twenty minutes, then he’d dictate the next bit of his book for quarter of an hour, and still have ten minutes to see students before lunch. Rinpoche sat on his throne and began to do whatever it was for the room full of monks. Then his phone rang. He answered it. and I expected him to ring off immediately so he could get on, but he didn’t. Neither did he speak much, he just listened. And listened. And listened. For ten minutes, twenty, thirty… Lunch was late, the book was unwritten, western students with questions had gathered like a swarm of ants in the courtyard, and even Elise, who generally keeps a very efficient finger on the pulse of Rinpoche activities, had no clue what was going on.

After more than a hour, Rinpoche put the phone down, finished the whatever it was, and finally emerged into the sunlight. We were, naturally, agog to find out what had happened.

“My father called,” said Rinpoche, smiling. “He wanted to teach me, so he did.” And that was it. Thinley Norbu Rinpoche had phoned and Khyentse Rinpoche’s schedule was shot. But Rinpoche showed no sign of irritation or impatience or anything. Actually, he looked quite radiant, and just rescheduled the assembled hoards and carried on. How I wish I could be like that…

Post subject: Re: Amusing DJKR story
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:43 pm 

thanks for posting :smile:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:10 pm 

Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?
i read this just a little while back! (along with devouring nearly everything Janine Schultz ever wrote on it) Amazing. His stories about his father are so hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:30 pm 

Thanks Dzogchungpa. I've now looked through most of Janine's posts and in addition to her stories about DJKR she's also got some great photos of Orgyen Tobgyal Rinpoche (amongst others). I haven't attended any of his teachings but the more I hear about OT Rinpoche the more my admiration grows.