bit of confusion - 5 colors

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

bit of confusion - 5 colors

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Got a practice for five colors/5 dhyani Buddhas..it seems like some places the colors for Vairocana/Buddha family and Akshobya/Vajra family are reversed from my notes.

Is there some variance or did I just write stuff down wrong? I think I have seen them reversed also different places on the web.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: bit of confusion - 5 colors

Postby Knotty Veneer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:53 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Got a practice for five colors/5 dhyani Buddhas..it seems like some places the colors for Vairocana/Buddha family and Akshobya/Vajra family are reversed from my notes.

Is there some variance or did I just write stuff down wrong? I think I have seen them reversed also different places on the web.

Vairocana is usually white and Akshobya blue. Never heard of other colors for these - what tradition is the practice from?
Everyone talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it - Mark Twain.
Knotty Veneer

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Knotty Veneer wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Got a practice for five colors/5 dhyani Buddhas..it seems like some places the colors for Vairocana/Buddha family and Akshobya/Vajra family are reversed from my notes.

Vairocana is usually white and Akshobya blue. Never heard of other colors for these - what tradition is the practice from?

Sakya.

That is how the practice was, Vairocana white and Akshobya blue, but we didn't spend alot of time talking about the atrributes of each Buddha, posion, etc. so I wanted a quick reference and now i'm just looking up stuff on the web and finding ones where Vajra and Buddha families are reversed...and course I want to do it as intended heh. I think I have it right, was just wondering why some are reversed.

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/05/ ... a-v-lewis/
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... AQ&dur=317
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby michaelb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 pm

I think, as tantra developed and the Vajra family became more important, Akshobya or other vajra family heruka went to the centre of the mandala and became white. I'm sure this is how Snellgrove explained it, anyway. I think he also says Vajrayana only became a term for secret mantra once the vajra family became dominant. Vairochana is only really dominant in the lower tantras, if I remember rightly.
michaelb

Postby Konchog1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:57 pm

michaelb wrote:I think, as tantra developed and the Vajra family became more important, Akshobya or other vajra family heruka went to the centre of the mandala and became white. I'm sure this is how Snellgrove explained it, anyway. I think he also says Vajrayana only became a term for secret mantra once the vajra family became dominant. Vairochana is only really dominant in the lower tantras, if I remember rightly.
Hmm, but generally Vairochana is white and Akshobya is blue. Including in HYT. So while those links might be correct, Johnny's notes are correct too.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby heart » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:49 am

Yes, the white and the blue can change place, it is quite common.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby Lingpupa » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:13 am

heart wrote:Yes, the white and the blue can change place, it is quite common.

/magnus

Quite true. And I believe that in some cycles, whereas yellow Ratnasambhava has a yellow light (and red+red, green+green), Akshobhya and Vairocana can be blue radiating white light and white radiating blue light.

So they can vary, it's not that you got it wrong. It's therefore very important to check exactly what is in the teaching you have been given. Go back to the source if necessary.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Benchen and Back digital edition now on Amazon - see http://tinyurl.com/78rdcoy
Lingpupa

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:54 pm

"Vairocana is not just the color blue, Vajrasattva is not just the color white in that sequence, but Vairocana arises with all five colors; blue, white, red, yellow, and green."

-- Vajrasattva's Heart Mirror Tantra
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby heart » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Malcolm wrote:"Vairocana is not just the color blue, Vajrasattva is not just the color white in that sequence, but Vairocana arises with all five colors; blue, white, red, yellow, and green."

-- Vajrasattva's Heart Mirror Tantra

Nice to see you Malcolm, good quote. :smile:

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Well, thanks all, I know how to do the practice as I received it now, which I guess is the important thing. Interesting to know some possible historical reasons behind the switch too though.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Return to Tibetan Buddhism