Dzongsar Khyentse in Nova Scotia

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Re: Dzongsar Khyentse in Nova Scotia

Post by Nilasarasvati »

Unfortunately, Punya, the link went straight to the teachings with the footprints; I.E. you will have to make a contribution to the Khyentse Foundation to see the videos again. Alas, the drudgery of having to contribute our hard earned dollars to that establishment :broke: just kidding.

Anyway, the whole ice to water thing is something I think I understand a bit, just a new metaphor I've never heard before.

1. It's talking about the sugatagarbha...and how the Buddha nature is right here with us all the time and all we have to do to be released from our craving/thirst/unhappiness is relax, have confidence and allow that to melt.

2. It's also reminds me of what Trungpa Rinpoche said about the Vajra mind: that in Vajrayana, the Buddha nature isn't something we have to uncover--it's breaking out no matter what we do, especially when we have encountered the blessings of the Guru. We just have to allow it to do so, like the Alien in Aliens its gonna punch out of us and explode all over the scene...okay bad metaphor. Except for the fact that it's unstoppable.

3. This is maybe the most familiar one for us Vajrayana kids: It's talking about our confusion and inability to recognize the nonduality of the problem and solution. The ice, the supposed problem (the five poisons of lust, jealousy, anger, ignorance, pride) is the raw essence/manifestaton of the five wisdoms. No difference. Once you realize the coemergent wisdom of this-moment-mind or Mahamudra, those emotions self liberate. ON arising, they are simultaneously recognized as pure and void dharmakaya.

This is my understanding at least. Still don't really grasp in the slightest how that works, how to do that. It's easy to explain intellectually but...endlessly elusive to practice.

They say about Dzogchen: it's like an eyeball. If you pluck it out of your head and hold it in your hand and it's simple and limited--just a little gross blob in your hand. We can talk about and describe the great perfection that easily--it's just a little blob of nonduality, easily intellectualized in dualistic terms. Easily grasped on the superficial level. But if you somehow practice it, pop that eyeball back into your head, you have the ability to see EVERYTHING. IN fact there's no end to the seeable forms, colors, etc its infinite.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Nilasarasvati wrote:Unfortunately, Punya, the link went straight to the teachings with the footprints; I.E. you will have to make a contribution to the Khyentse Foundation to see the videos again. Alas, the drudgery of having to contribute our hard earned dollars to that establishment :broke: just kidding.
Thanks for the heads up - it encourages me to stay up late tonight! And for the detailed explanation.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I only heard a little today, but it sounded quite interesting. I really hope they make the video, not just the audio available.
At the end he said something about 'libido' and some Tibetan which I didn't quite catch. Did anyone hear what he said?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

dzogchungpa wrote:I only heard a little today, but it sounded quite interesting. I really hope they make the video, not just the audio available.
At the end he said something about 'libido' and some Tibetan which I didn't quite catch. Did anyone hear what he said?
I think it was a bit of an "insiders" tease about the Dorje Loppon and his partner. Something like, "may their libidos always be available". Or something like that.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

Who am i to offer any feedback about such a teacher? Nobody really but still, i do have something to offer here and will do it now.

Such a wonderful teacher he is becoming! May he live really, really long!!

I have seen him teach only three times. On his first trip to the Unites States, then 20 years later and now 7 years after that, this past weekend.

The first time, he was well-trained but lacked experience. He ran away from life like a scared rabbit! And maybe properly so!

The second time, he had much more experience but was so arrogant in its execution. Nonetheless, Dharma being what it is, protected him. Dharma is amazing and extraordinary!

Now there is some humility, experience and training all together. How wonderful!!

I would not and could not say any of these things except I know I have some actual relationship with Dzongsar Jamyang Khyenste Rinpoche and these words are a kind of culmination of the many years of connecting and un-connecting and re-connecting in this life.

And these words are a kind of offering too.

Namo Guru

:namaste:
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
Nilasarasvati

Post by Nilasarasvati »

Thank you for sharing them, Malabeads.

Were it not for the hours and hours of teachings I've listened to from him, I would never have had the correct understanding necessary to formally take refuge--in fact I would have thought the Vajrayana was a terrifying, moralistic, ego-cult system. Were it not for his ability to blend into and converse with Westerners, and especially us young people, I would never have felt that Tibetan teachers could comprehend my values, hang-ups, OR my virtues!

I feel so blessed that he is alive. One of my biggest hang ups these days is feeling this sort of competitiveness with his many many many admirers and thousands worldwide who want to be in his presence--like I will never even be able to get five minutes of his attention.

On finishing that sentence, one of those tiny (almost invisible) red bugs began crawling over my keyboard: relatively, I've got it pretty good.
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

Nilasarasvati wrote:Thank you for sharing them, Malabeads.

Were it not for the hours and hours of teachings I've listened to from him, I would never have had the correct understanding necessary to formally take refuge--in fact I would have thought the Vajrayana was a terrifying, moralistic, ego-cult system. Were it not for his ability to blend into and converse with Westerners, and especially us young people, I would never have felt that Tibetan teachers could comprehend my values, hang-ups, OR my virtues!

I feel so blessed that he is alive. One of my biggest hang ups these days is feeling this sort of competitiveness with his many many many admirers and thousands worldwide who want to be in his presence--like I will never even be able to get five minutes of his attention.

On finishing that sentence, one of those tiny (almost invisible) red bugs began crawling over my keyboard: relatively, I've got it pretty good.
Nila,

We are all incredibly blessed that he is a teacher.

Its entirely possible I will never see again in this life. No problem. (I mean, three times in 25+ years isn't exactly a lot). And btw, I've never actually met him in person (in case you were wondering!)

I am nonetheless happy.

May you be too.

:namaste:
Punya

Post by Punya »

Nilasarasvati wrote: One of my biggest hang ups these days is feeling this sort of competitiveness with his many many many admirers and thousands worldwide who want to be in his presence--like I will never even be able to get five minutes of his attention.

Yes, this is a problem with being a fan/student of any of the well-known teachers these days. Aspiration and merit making seem like the right response.

BTW, are you going to the teachings in Mexico or LA?
~Chatral Rinpoche
Nilasarasvati

Post by Nilasarasvati »

I can't make it! It's way too far and all my money this summer is going toward the Summer Shedra at Lotus Gardens with H.E. Khandro Rinpoche.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Nilasarasvati wrote:I can't make it! It's way too far and all my money this summer is going toward the Summer Shedra at Lotus Gardens with H.E. Khandro Rinpoche.
How wonderful!
~Chatral Rinpoche

Return to “Media”