new Kāraṇḍavyūha Sutra translation

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Nicholas Weeks

new Kāraṇḍavyūha Sutra translation

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The 84000 project online has their latest major sutra posted now:

http://read.84000.co/browser/released/U ... 51-004.pdf
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: new Kāraṇḍavyūha Sutra translation

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Very bizarre! This link previously given should be ignored for it is now worthless; yet I was able, this morning, to download the sutra just fine.

Will check back and hope they get their act together.
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

Will wrote:Very bizarre! This link previously given should be ignored for it is now worthless; yet I was able, this morning, to download the sutra just fine.

Will check back and hope they get their act together.
Maybe someone noticed some mistakes in the text of the first uploaded PDF version?...
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

OK, the pdf is up again - let us hope it stays there:

http://read.84000.co/browser/released/U ... 51-004.pdf
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

I try to download it by clicking it and Firefox mounts it in its PDF reader as a web page. I found RIGHT CLICKING it brings up a download window and all goes well.

To keep in the spirit of things, have you seen

Studholme, Alexander. The Origins of Om Manipadme Hum: A Study of the Karandavyuha Sutra. annotated edition. State University of New York Press, 2002?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Origins-Manip ... s%2C+2002.
Om Manipadme Hum, perhaps the most well-known and most widely used of all Buddhist mantras, lies at the heart of the Tibetan system and is cherished by both laymen and lama alike. This book presents a new interpretation of the meaning of Om Manipadme Hum, and includes a detailed, annotated precis of Karandavyuha Sutra, opening up this important work to a wider audience. The earliest textual source is the Karandavyuha Sutra, which describes both the compassion of Avalokitesvara, the bodhisattva whole power the mantra invokes, and the mythical tale of the search and discovery of the mantra. Through a detailed analysis of this sutra, Studholme explores the historical and doctrinal forces behind the appearance of Om Manipadme Hum in India at around the middle of the first millennium c.e. He argues that the Karandavyuha Sutra has close affinities to non-Buddhist puranic literature, and that the conception of Avalokitesvara and his six-syllable mantra is influenced by the conception of the Hindu deity Siva and his five-syllable mantra Namah Sivaya. The Karandavyuha Sutra reflects historical situation in which the Buddhist monastic establishment was coming into contact with Buddhist tantric practitioners, themselves influenced by Saivite practitioners.
:namaste:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Yes Leo, I have read it, though I might not still have it around.

His arguments for Hindu Siva influence on Lokeswara & the OM MANI PADME HUM seemed forced and were not convincing to me.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

I know what you mean.

We find 3 surviving texts out of 170 and fee impelled to use those 3 texts to explain each other as if they were a representative sample. I have a book on Early Buddhist Meditation and I think he demonstrates the reality of the Buddha's teachers and the forms of meditation used well - then goes on to link the materials to Brahmanism of the era and I'm asking "who ordered this?" On the other hand, Hindu and Buddhist sutras were, like Mediterranean gnostic texts, on occasion transferred from milieu to milieu en-mass by just changing the names of the people and gods in them. And in all things, then, influences went in both directions.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”