Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby Aemilius » Fri May 03, 2013 2:09 pm

May he be reborn in the pureland of Buddha Amitayus, the Buddha of Measureless Life and Radiance!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1560534/slayer-guitarist-jeff-hanneman-dead-at-49
svaha
User avatar
Aemilius
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby PorkChop » Sat May 04, 2013 12:43 am

Seasons in the Abyss was one of my favorite albums back in high school.
Condolences to his wife, he'll be missed.
User avatar
PorkChop
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby Karma Dorje » Sat May 04, 2013 1:03 am

Too too soon, and such a tough year of sickness and convalescence. Now this.

A true luminary and guitar god.
Karma Dorje
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby gyougan » Sat May 04, 2013 1:24 pm

So sad to hear this... :-(

RIP Jeff!
gyougan
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:37 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby Luke » Sat May 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Yes, very shocking and sad...

Om Ami Dewa Hrih
User avatar
Luke
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby Thrasymachus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:35 am

Rolling Stone: Slayer Guitarist Jeff Hanneman Died of Alcohol-Related Cirrhosis
At my work they had banned passengers from using alcohol traveling to concerts:
NJ Transit bans drinks aboard trains on PNC Bank Arts Center concert nights
Because too many people think they have to get drunk out of their minds emulating the people like him on stage. To be fair though, if many of the people I know had as much money as Hanneman and worked as little, I would bet on them dying three decades early of substance abuse as well.

These people are examples of how not to live. I would recommend giving biographies of decades known rock stars with bad drug and alcohol problems to the addicts you know, provided you read them first and they are suitable to the purpose, which often they will be. Even if the collaborating rocker thinks he is coming off as hip and cool, he won't, he has been living in a dreamland of hangers-on, ridiculous excess, and constant adoration. I almost got one of my friends to read Motley Crue's bio The Dirt but then he started bringing a laptop to the job he was reading it at it, and that was that. It is unfortunate because that book is entertaining and teaches how sex addicts, drug addicts and alcoholics only get unhappiness in the end for all their addiction.

It is sad that no one who does any good will ever be a positive example for the mainstream and if they are, it is only their co-opted, recuperated image that can ever become widely disseminated. I don't think it is an accident that the most famous celebrities are actors, who after-all just simply read lines and pretend to be what they are not, they are not creative artists, they are fakers. They want to send us a structural message that we should worship and emulate those fakers and live vicariously in the land of fantasy what we will never get.
User avatar
Thrasymachus
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Dover, NJ

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby Karma Dorje » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Thrasymachus wrote:Rolling Stone: Slayer Guitarist Jeff Hanneman Died of Alcohol-Related Cirrhosis
At my work they had banned passengers from using alcohol traveling to concerts:
NJ Transit bans drinks aboard trains on PNC Bank Arts Center concert nights
Because too many people think they have to get drunk out of their minds emulating the people like him on stage. To be fair though, if many of the people I know had as much money as Hanneman and worked as little, I would bet on them dying three decades early of substance abuse as well.

These people are examples of how not to live. I would recommend giving biographies of decades known rock stars with bad drug and alcohol problems to the addicts you know, provided you read them first and they are suitable to the purpose, which often they will be. Even if the collaborating rocker thinks he is coming off as hip and cool, he won't, he has been living in a dreamland of hangers-on, ridiculous excess, and constant adoration. I almost got one of my friends to read Motley Crue's bio The Dirt but then he started bringing a laptop to the job he was reading it at it, and that was that. It is unfortunate because that book is entertaining and teaches how sex addicts, drug addicts and alcoholics only get unhappiness in the end for all their addiction.

It is sad that no one who does any good will ever be a positive example for the mainstream and if they are, it is only their co-opted, recuperated image that can ever become widely disseminated. I don't think it is an accident that the most famous celebrities are actors, who after-all just simply read lines and pretend to be what they are not, they are not creative artists, they are fakers. They want to send us a structural message that we should worship and emulate those fakers and live vicariously in the land of fantasy what we will never get.


Who pissed in your corn flakes, bro? This thread was just to remember a talented musician who died too soon, not to climb on a soapbox and feel smug.
Karma Dorje
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby justsit » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:55 pm

Karma Dorje wrote:


Who pissed in your corn flakes, bro? This thread was just to remember a talented musician who died too soon, not to climb on a soapbox and feel smug.


It's OK, KD, that appears to be our friend Thrasy's main practice. :smile:

I can totally relate. My main practice sometimes seems to be caustic cynicism as well. It often reflects idealism gone sour, and a desperate underlying unhappiness with how things are.

Doesn't excuse being rude, though.
User avatar
justsit
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby Roland » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:03 am

I was always a fan of metal, although not nearly as much these days as when I was a teenager. Back then, the heavier and more aggressive the music, the better. I really tried to like Slayer. I was never a big fan except for a couple of songs. I saw them live 4 times anyways, as they were often playing or headlining at a show where a band I wanted to see live was also playing. The pits for Slayer were some of the most brutal. Unfortunately, I never participated in a Slayer pit, even though pits were my favorite parts of shows back in the day. This was mainly due to watching too many people immensely brutalized leaving Slayer pits and knowing I would get crushed.

I have much respect for Slayer.

And I remember the classic, high pitched scream by random people at shows, echoed by fellow fans...

SLAYAA!!!!

This is an unfortunate event.
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb
User avatar
Roland
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby plwk » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:27 am

Anitya, Duhkha, Anatman, Nirvana :buddha1:
plwk
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby Thrasymachus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:11 am

Actually I don't do cornflakes. Most the ignorant hoi polloi in my nation will care about useless stuff like say Slayer, but not that most corn and other staple crops are GMO, so I avoid corn products like corn flakes, not to mention that it is too processed.

My philosophy is if you don't care about me, or anyone else, why should I care about you. So I don't really care about these vapid, selfish, complexed celebrities. This guy Hanneman choose to drink so much that he died an early death from all the liver cells he killed that eventually led to liver failure. He was an adult and he made his early grave through lots of hard work and time spent drinking, and he likely held many beer bottles up brazenly to salute thousands of fans and since many people love to be lost in the herd and want to get drunk like their so called idol, he likely promoted his bad habit that got him killed so early in that way.
User avatar
Thrasymachus
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Dover, NJ

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby simhanada » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:40 am

Thrasymachus wrote:My philosophy is if you don't care about me, or anyone else, why should I care about you. So I don't really care about these vapid, selfish, complexed celebrities.


Of course you do, enough so to write some vapid, selfish comments on what amounts to an obituary thread. Really bad form.
simhanada
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby Wu-Ji » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:47 am

I only liked Raining Blood and Angel of Death back in the days.
Wu-Ji
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby Thrasymachus » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:03 am

Oh, I didn't get the memo that selfish rockstars who die decades earlier than they should otherwise because of their of extreme alcoholism are suddenly holy in death, just because some people on some messageboard want it to be like that. Funny enough on a mainstream metal gossip/news discussion site, people are more circumspect about what he represented in life and less sanctimonious about his "RIP holiness":
Blabbermouth: SLAYER Guitarist JEFF HANNEMAN: Official Cause Of Death Revealed - May 9, 2013
User avatar
Thrasymachus
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Dover, NJ

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby justsit » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:40 am

Actually, I wouldn't expect much of any other response on a metal board.

But this is a Buddhist board, where, hopefully, we have learned at least a little about compassion.
User avatar
justsit
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49

Postby lobster » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:28 am

justsit wrote:hopefully, we have learned at least a little about compassion.


:consoling:
May all rockers go to the purelands, where they can pray and play for rebirth in a realm they can do some good in.
May they and their flaming fans be extinguished in Dharma.
:woohoo:
Last edited by Sherab Dorje on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unverified personal "mantra"
User avatar
lobster
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm


Return to News & Current Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

>