The Ten Bhumis

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Individual

The Ten Bhumis

Post by Individual »

You can't understand the 10 bhumis merely by reading their names. Perhaps even reading their descriptions doesn't help either. Nor can you understand them out of order, because each one supports the next. They may seem like stupid poetry.

A stupid person might ask:

-Is the first bhumi the only one which is joyous?
-Is the second bhumi the only one which is free from defilement?
-Is the third bhumi the only one which is luminous?
-Is the fourth bhumi the only one which is radiant?

etc..

But you have to understand the jhanas first in order to understand the bhumis. And the bhumis can't be understood out of order, so you have to understand the first bhumi, the joyous, for any of them to make sense.

Perhaps confusion arises from thinking of the ten bhumis as ten different people, and from an ordinary perception, they might all appear to be simply holy people. The confusion arises from thinking of the bhumis as applied to things outside of your mind. Instead, see the bhumis -- the transition from bodhisattva to Buddhahood -- in your own mind, as your own practice of meditation, and it's beautifully simple.

Does what I said above make sense?
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: The Ten Bhumis

Post by Huseng »

Individual wrote: Does what I said above make sense?
No.

The ten bhumis are the graduated steps a Bodhisattva takes in their career towards Buddhahood.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Huseng wrote:
Individual wrote: Does what I said above make sense?
No.
I thought that might be the case. Thanks.
Inge

Post by Inge »

Individual wrote:You can't understand the 10 bhumis merely by reading their names. Perhaps even reading their descriptions doesn't help either. Nor can you understand them out of order, because each one supports the next. They may seem like stupid poetry.

etc..

But you have to understand the jhanas first in order to understand the bhumis. And the bhumis can't be understood out of order, so you have to understand the first bhumi, the joyous, for any of them to make sense.

Perhaps confusion arises from thinking of the ten bhumis as ten different people, and from an ordinary perception, they might all appear to be simply holy people. The confusion arises from thinking of the bhumis as applied to things outside of your mind. Instead, see the bhumis -- the transition from bodhisattva to Buddhahood -- in your own mind, as your own practice of meditation, and it's beautifully simple.

I would be interested in reading a bit about the relationship between the jhanas and the ten bhumis. Do the 10 jhanas correspond to the 10 bhumis?
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Inge wrote:
Individual wrote:You can't understand the 10 bhumis merely by reading their names. Perhaps even reading their descriptions doesn't help either. Nor can you understand them out of order, because each one supports the next. They may seem like stupid poetry.

etc..

I would be interested in reading a bit about the relationship between the jhanas and the ten bhumis. Do the 10 jhanas correspond to the 10 bhumis?
The word "jhana" is Pali which corresponds to "dhyana" in Sanskrit.

There are four jhana according to the Sravakayana model of meditation. Such a model has no use at all for Bodhisattva bhumis.

The jhanas are a graduated mundane meditation model which is only the mental stamina that provides the basis for penetrating wisdom. It is a prerequisite for liberation (and in particular becoming an Arhat).

A Bodhisattva would presumably still master the dhyanas as part of samadhi training, but considering what high stage Bodhisattvas are described as they're probably well beyond it already.

Keep in mind that the bhumis are not described as something you achieve in a week long retreat. It takes innumerable lifetimes to go through all ten and reach ultimate Buddhahood.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Huseng wrote:
Inge wrote:

etc..

The word "jhana" is Pali which corresponds to "dhyana" in Sanskrit.

There are four jhana according to the Sravakayana model of meditation. Such a model has no use at all for Bodhisattva bhumis.

The jhanas are a graduated mundane meditation model which is only the mental stamina that provides the basis for penetrating wisdom. It is a prerequisite for liberation (and in particular becoming an Arhat).

A Bodhisattva would presumably still master the dhyanas as part of samadhi training, but considering what high stage Bodhisattvas are described as they're probably well beyond it already.

Keep in mind that the bhumis are not described as something you achieve in a week long retreat. It takes innumerable lifetimes to go through all ten and reach ultimate Buddhahood.
I really regret posting this and don't see the purpose in further discussion, sorry. I sent a PM to Astus, asking him to delete or lock this thread.

None of us know what we are talking about. We have no foundation upon which to even begin a constructive discussion.
Inge wrote:

etc..

No. At least, I don't think so. The 10 jhanas you mention are beneath the first bhumi.
remm

Post by remm »

No they do not. The Dhyanas are levels of meditative absorbtions one can enter through meditation. As an individual begins to clear up view and thought delusions in the dhyanas they begin to attain a lot of insight and wisdom.

The ten stages of the Bodhisattva aren't something one can just attain in one life, they take many lifetimes to fully accomplish. However, Bodhisattvas also practice this meditative insight as well because it's conducive to awakening.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

If you want to know about the Ten Bhumis read the Avatamsaka-sutra (Flower Ornament Sutra).
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Individual wrote: None of us know what we are talking about. We have no foundation upon which to even begin a constructive discussion.
Individual -

you posted a very good question and I'm sure that you are very sincere in your desire to understand the Buddhadharma. Sincere questions are very pleasing to Shakyamuni Buddha and this can be seen in numerous sutras.

We are all engaged in the study and practice of the Buddhadharma and this also is pleasing to the Buddhas'. As we progress, things become clearer and we do in fact begin to know what we are talking about and to build a solid foundation of faith and understanding.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Individual

Post by Individual »

kirtu wrote:
Individual wrote: None of us know what we are talking about. We have no foundation upon which to even begin a constructive discussion.
Individual -

you posted a very good question and I'm sure that you are very sincere in your desire to understand the Buddhadharma. Sincere questions are very pleasing to Shakyamuni Buddha and this can be seen in numerous sutras.

We are all engaged in the study and practice of the Buddhadharma and this also is pleasing to the Buddhas'. As we progress, things become clearer and we do in fact begin to know what we are talking about and to build a solid foundation of faith and understanding.

Kirt
This is true.

However, if I had rambled instead of withdrawing my rambling, you wouldn't have said what you just said.

I will ramble again to show you. Somebody asked about the relationship between jhana and bhumi.

Here you go:

1: I sit down to meditate and reach the lower jhanas, feeling happy.
2: In the act of concentration, all mental defilements are erased together all at once.
3: Through mental defilements being erased, there is the spark of wisdom.
4: The light of wisdom grows brighter.
5: It is difficult to keep the light going.
6: But there is the inner strength to overcome that ignorance.
7: Ignorance is transcended.
8: Therefore, nothing can disturb the mind.
9: The truth is clear.
10: I stand up and go tell others what I have discovered.

And this meditation takes many lifetimes to do.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Locked as Requested by OP.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”