Can Blind People Do Tibetan Dream Yoga?

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Can Blind People Do Tibetan Dream Yoga?

Postby Mikeliegler » Wed May 29, 2013 11:48 pm

I'm not blind but very hard of hearing so the question of whether someone who is complacently blind from birth do Tibetan Dream Yoga popped up in my head. That would be so wonderful if they could. Anyone know anything about this?
Mikeliegler

Re: Can Blind People Do Tibetan Dream Yoga?

Postby T. Chokyi » Thu May 30, 2013 4:04 am

Mikeliegler wrote:I'm not blind but very hard of hearing so the question of whether someone who is complacently blind from birth do Tibetan Dream Yoga popped up in my head. That would be so wonderful if they could. Anyone know anything about this?

I think a person who uses sound to self liberate can have that experience in the Dream Time.
For example, Song of Vajra, or sounding the White Ah, and then this happens in the dream time.
The Buddha Nature is never separate from that individual. Loss of something is temporary,
perhaps in a future life time they will not have any problem with any senses, so they shouldn't
think to themselves that they can't practice as much as possible this lifetime.

There is awareness in daytime and that awareness can continue into night time, awareness is awareness, the person will have their dreams, so they can make the effort to learn Dream Yoga under a qualified teacher, imho.

There isn't this idea that we have to limit ourselves to "no dream yoga" because we have some kind of loss of our senses. Once again, this is only my opinion, but whenever I have heard CHNNR teach he says to go beyond our limitations.
T. Chokyi

Re: Can Blind People Do Tibetan Dream Yoga?

Postby wisdom » Thu May 30, 2013 8:11 pm

Mikeliegler wrote:I'm not blind but very hard of hearing so the question of whether someone who is complacently blind from birth do Tibetan Dream Yoga popped up in my head. That would be so wonderful if they could. Anyone know anything about this?

Yep. The key point to dream yoga is becoming aware its a dream, then recognizing ones true nature from within the dream and abiding in that. If they have received direct introduction, I have total confidence that they are capable of dream yoga just like everyone else.
wisdom

Return to Open Dharma