New Lalitavistara Sutra translation

Discuss and learn about the traditional scriptures.

Re: New Lalitavistara Sutra translation

Postby Will » Tue May 28, 2013 3:42 am

It is up now, but the PDF of Karandavyuha is still a no show; except for the title page.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Michael_Dorfman » Thu May 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Will wrote:It is up now, but the PDF of Karandavyuha is still a no show; except for the title page.

The PDF of the Kāraṇḍavyūha is now available. Looks like they fixed whatever technical problem was holding it back.
Michael_Dorfman

Postby udawa » Thu May 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Michael_Dorfman wrote:
Will wrote:It is up now, but the PDF of Karandavyuha is still a no show; except for the title page.

The PDF of the Kāraṇḍavyūha is now available. Looks like they fixed whatever technical problem was holding it back.

Thanks Michael. Interested to see that it is translated by Peter Alan Roberts - presumably the same person who has done some fine translations of mahamudra texts.

Again, not sure that I like the English rendition of the title, 'The Basket's Display', but like Lalitavistara, it seems to be a awkward thing to translate. There's an interesting discussion about the difficulties and ambiguities in the introduction.
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
udawa

Postby Kunzang » Fri May 31, 2013 5:46 am

I still get a title page with this message when trying to download the Karandavyuha pdf:

"The PDF version of The Basket's Display is not yet available. Check back soon."

But at least I can read it online now.
Kunzang

Previous

Return to Sūtra Studies