Whatever happened to the wicked dwarf?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
SunRay

Whatever happened to the wicked dwarf?

Post by SunRay »

One of the popular stories about Shakyamuni Buddha's previous lives is one where Buddha as a captain of a ship kills a wicked black dwarf -as the character is known in Tibet. I assume that the story is familiar to all. I am curious about what became of the evil black dwarf after the captain (a Bodhisattva with clairvoyance and other special skills who would later become a Buddha) killed him. Is he still wondering through hell realms or get a rebirth as a Buddha's disciple or what? :namaste:
OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: Whatever happened to the wicked dwarf?

Post by Wayfarer »

Went into merchant banking, I heard......
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

I believe he was reborn as Bernie Madoff.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Last I heard he was working for Snow White.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
SunRay

Post by SunRay »

Thank you most kindly. I addressed this issue to Venerable Geshe Thupten Kunkhen and he didn't know either... Or he did, but thought that I just wasn't ready to handle the truth. They do that sometimes.

But, yeah, he could be a previous incarnation of one of the seven dwarfs.

:sage:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

SunRay wrote:One of the popular stories about Shakyamuni Buddha's previous lives is one where Buddha as a captain of a ship kills a wicked black dwarf -as the character is known in Tibet.
That part I never heard. I thought he was reborn as a major disciple, possibly Maudgalyayana?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

No mention of a wicked dwarf, but the story is the same:

"And the robber died to be reborn in a world of paradise." (The Skill in Means Sutra, p. 74)
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
SunRay

Post by SunRay »

Astus wrote:No mention of a wicked dwarf, but the story is the same:

"And the robber died to be reborn in a world of paradise." (The Skill in Means Sutra, p. 74)
The idea behind being that the Boddhisattva kills the evil being he takes it's karmic burden upon himself willingly entering the hell realms for the sake of the others? Demon dissolves into Rigpa kinda thing..

The pirate dwarf that gets killed in the story reminds me of demon Apasmara (Ignorance) of the Hindy mythology. There the God needs to adopt the form of Nataraj (Shiva the Destroyer) and perform the Tandava (dance of cosmic destruction) to suppress it, as Apasmara is immortal. ...Of course, it could be purely coincidental that Apasmara is also represented as a wicked black dwarf that is destined to be crushed by the emanation of the Dharma.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

SunRay wrote:The idea behind being that the Boddhisattva kills the evil being he takes it's karmic burden upon himself willingly entering the hell realms for the sake of the others? Demon dissolves into Rigpa kinda thing..
Taking over another's karma is impossible in Buddhism. In the story the captain simple prevented the robber committing murder, that is, generating very bad karma.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”